What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on MobileMe??

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering people's thoughts on the MobileMe feature? Is it worth the $100 yearly price tag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used MobileMe since I bought my iPad about 3 months ago. The only functionality that I use is iDisk. It's very convenient to be able to have most of my PC documents 'in the cloud' and to be able to securely save material I've been working on using my iPad.

I recognise there are other (free) options available but MobileMe's iDisk integrates well with many of the apps that I use and is, when you think about it, only 30¢ a day - less than a coffee at Starbucks by a big margin.....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends entirely on two things.

One, go through the list of features, and decide if you'll use them. As Tim said, many have free options.

Two, do you have a Mac. The integration of OS X and MobileMe makes a big difference. Your ability to sync contacts, mail, calendar, and other OS X applications is far greater than what you can do with Google or DropBox and a Mac. The online client is very good, probably not too much more capable than Google's, but better designed. And it gives you more features and space than DropBox storage, gut will make you jump though hoops to make it work with non Apple products.

I also have free Google and DropBox accounts, of course. Because they will do a few things MobileMe won't, and make a great bridge between my Apple devices and the few other odds and ends (including a Droid X) that I have laying around.

In the end, if I were you and not in a hurry, Id' wait a few couple more months. Change is in the wind, and the smell of a new MobileMe plan and features is very strong.

Honestly, the biggest reason I keep my MobielMe account is because I've had the email for more than 10 years, and I don't wan't to give it up. My web page is there too, and I don't feel like building a new one right now.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Twerppoet says, apart from work I am totally Mac driven, iPhone, MacBook and iPad so MobileMe works in two ways, firstly total integration without having to even think about what I am doing and secondly I get to have my .mac email address which is cool if nothing else.

I can even log into MobileMe from my windows box at work which is just icing on the cake really......my life is iConnected. It's all a luxury rather than a necessity as there are plenty of other options which would probably do the same as MobileMe like all the google stuff and apps like dropbox (which I do use as well).

If you are as lazy as me you'll go for the easy integration, if not it's all out there on the web.

I agree with Tim' comments however, I tried the Starbucks option but found that when I wanted to sync my iPad was too big to dip into my cappuccino!

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good comments. All I'll add is that if you do want Mobile Me you can get it cheaper thru Amazon. I think I paid $69 or something like that for a year long subscription.

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you could pay by the day, I think 30 cents would be excellent, let me know when this becomes an option

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
this may be free soon.it used to be in the list of apple store daily sales goals.it has been recently removed. I'm using the find my iPad service for free.

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobile me is kinda useless

To synch Contacts and Calendar ? Use gmail, if you set it as Exchange on Ipad and Iphone it's instant change

Mail well gmail is better also

For cloud? Dropbox ftw 2gig for free and if you get friends to invite you can go up to 8-9gig total free

Only use of mobile me is find my ipad

If it becomes free, i'll consider it

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also only use it for the "Find My iPad" option. The ability to locate it, send a short note to the finder and to do a remote auto-destruct could come in quite useful (kind of like insurance.)

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you could pay by the day, I think 30 cents would be excellent, let me know when this becomes an option

Look at it this way. Pay the yearly fee once... then for the rest of the year it is free. Then next year the annual fee ... then enjoy free for the rest of that year, and so. Free is good:)

Thinkdifferent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
I also only use it for the "Find My iPad" option. The ability to locate it, send a short note to the finder and to do a remote auto-destruct could come in quite useful (kind of like insurance.)

Find my iPhone/iPad is free now.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobile me is kinda useless

To synch Contacts and Calendar ? Use gmail, if you set it as Exchange on Ipad and Iphone it's instant change

Mail well gmail is better also

For cloud? Dropbox ftw 2gig for free and if you get friends to invite you can go up to 8-9gig total free

Only use of mobile me is find my ipad

If it becomes free, i'll consider it

I have dropbox and MobileMe. Though free, Dropbox is less intuitive to use and takes much longer to do simple tasks, such as backing up photos, so Dropbox ends up being used only for storage purposes, whereas I use MobileMe on a regular basis nearly every day because of it's superior interface and simplicity.

Not sure why anyone would find it useless. It backs up and syncs over the air your data in intervals, automatically, or on demand between your macs/pc's, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and SD card enabled digital cameras. It allows 24/7 access to your data on any internet connected computer of course, and the file size limits are huge: 20GB in the cloud to start, with 200GB file transfer per month.

Other benefits include the option to bypass the need to sync via iTunes, which many of us can appreciate, and seamless integration between apple products, like being able to stream your pics and videos to Apple TV even if there is no computer or iOS device in the house.

As far as which email is better, that is of personal opinion I suppose. I have both gmail and .me mail. When it comes to organizing my incoming mail into folders, I personally prefer MobileMe's drag and drop. Since MobileMe's calendar syncs with iCal, google calendars, outlook, ect, it is my calendar of choice by far.

And then you've got the simplicity of MobileMe's iDisk syncing with my files in Dropbox via webDAV.. Best of both worlds I tell ya. Transferring word/page documents, excel/numbers, and PowerPoint/Keynote between iPad, Mac, and PC is a cinch. MobileMe + Dropbox + WebDAV is simply awesome.

If you couldn't tell by now, I really love my MobileMe account and find the subscription fee to be minimal compared to all the things it does to make all the things I normally do more convenient.

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Find my iPhone/iPad is free now.

This is all I want MobleMe for. I wonder about it's usefulness with the WiFi only iPad, but if nothing else the option to remote wipe the device if it does pop up online somewhere is comforting.

IMO, if someone steals my device I'll be more worried about them having access to my stored passwords, docs and accounts than the device itself. I have a PIN configured, I figure that the average thief is going to be more concerned with restoring the system to defaults and selling it than trying to crack my device to get my info.... in which case MobileMe isn't going to help me.

As for doc storage... I use Dropbox and it works just fine for me without the $99/yr fee.

Thinkdifferent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iChuckNorris said:
This is all I want MobleMe for. I wonder about it's usefulness with the WiFi only iPad, but if nothing else the option to remote wipe the device if it does pop up online somewhere is comforting.

IMO, if someone steals my device I'll be more worried about them having access to my stored passwords, docs and accounts than the device itself. I have a PIN configured, I figure that the average thief is going to be more concerned with restoring the system to defaults and selling it than trying to crack my device to get my info.... in which case MobileMe isn't going to help me.

As for doc storage... I use Dropbox and it works just fine for me without the $99/yr fee.

Yeah. I use drop box way more than iDisk. And I only stick with it because I get it free and the calendar and contact sync is seamless.

Most reactions