What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thieves Rip Man’s Finger Off to Steal iPad

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thieves Rip Man’s Finger to Steal iPad

12:08 pm, April 20th, 2010, Nicole Martinelli
Bill Jordan went to Denver’s Cherry Creek Apple store to buy an iPad for a co-worker as a perk for getting a promotion.
In what may be the most violent iPad theft to date, police say surveillance video shows the 59-year-old Jordan shadowed by two young men who assaulted him before he reached the parking garage.
The Apple bag was looped around his hand and the thugs jerked it several times to get it off — so hard that flesh came of Jordan’s left pinky.
A surgeon later amputated part of his finger
“It’s like a bad dream,” the left-handed Jordan told news cameras. “For a simple piece of apparatus that will be junk in a couple of years.”
No arrests have been made yet.
Via CBS

antwon412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well....less fingerprints on his next iPad I guess. Always try to look for the positives i say.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too bad he didn't have a chance to enable the "find my iPad" feature in MobileMe. Most people don't realize you can track your iphones and ipads. I lost my iphone a few months ago and was able to track down where I left it. You can also send messages to the home screen to try to freak out the thief. Send something like, "this iPad is being tracked via GPS and police are on their way." Hey, might not work, but would be worth a shot and see if the thieves leave it and run.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too bad he didn't have a chance to enable the "find my iPad" feature in MobileMe. Most people don't realize you can track your iphones and ipads. I lost my iphone a few months ago and was able to track down where I left it. You can also send messages to the home screen to try to freak out the thief. Send something like, "this iPad is being tracked via GPS and police are on their way." Hey, might not work, but would be worth a shot and see if the thieves leave it and run.

All network devices have a Media Access Control # AKA: MAC Address. It is a serial number that is unique to every network device. The first 3 hex digits of the MAC Address signify the maker of the network card and the last 3 are unique for each device. I am sure that the serial number of the iPad which is registered with Apple at the time of sale contains the MAC Address information. What this means is that the first time these dumb asses use it to connect to iTunes(or probably who they sell it to does) they can be traced.

Now if they are mobile and stealing access through unsecured wireless routers then it is harder. I know how to change the MAC Address that is broadcast with each network packet on a windows box, so I imagine that it is possible to do with an iPad as well.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My thought is that they would have to take more than a finger.

Most reactions

Latest posts