What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

theweek.pox

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe this is an ipad wide issue and should be elsewhere but as an ipad mini user I post it here.

I think I have a case of the pox thanks to theweek.com app. As a paper subscriber I am allowed to use theweek app. I downloaded it and logged in with my subscription number which was 'verified'. BUT now I get this nasty recurring popup which recognizes neither my apple or any other name and password. Calling the week they told me I should not need either, just the subscription ID. I have removed the app, I have done a reset of the ipad and still this nasty little 'virus??' keeps popping up, even as shown here, while reading a book.

My advice: Beware the Week app. My question is why is this thing still annoying me?

I have sent emails to the week describing the problem but as of yet no solution or reply.

Ideas?

IMG_0013 (2).jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try deleting and re-installing the app.

Other than that, it's extremely unlikely there is a virus or any kind of malware involved. Far more likely that it's a bug.

Other things you can try:

=====
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have done all of the above and just did them again. When the home page comes up after a hard reset that little pox sign in box is the first thing to show up.
So open to more ideas. Still waiting for a reply from the folks at The Week mag too.

So why I wonder if it isn't a virus: the week app is not on the ipad but that nasty popup is and it does not show anywhere as an app of its own so it is sort of nonexistent but there it is.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
n4uau said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have done all of the above and just did them again. When the home page comes up after a hard reset that little pox sign in box is the first thing to show up.
So open to more ideas. Still waiting for a reply from the folks at The Week mag too.

So why I wonder if it isn't a virus: the week app is not on the ipad but that nasty popup is and it does not show anywhere as an app of its own so it is sort of nonexistent but there it is.

Hello n4uau, a virus does not identify itself and asks you to login. Virus usually impact the performance of your device. When you first installed this app, somehow you set it to automatically request you login. Or you set it up for notifications which causes you to have to login to retrieve the information. Not knowing the app but very familiar with similar kinds of news apps, I suggest you go to your settings and see if the app is on your list and then see if you can change its functions?

This is a picture of the settings for the app Numbers. Every app on your iPad has similar information, you can sometimes change the settings of the app in this Settings app.

Attachments

• image-211288459.jpg
    image-211288459.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Matt I hear what you are saying but there is no 'Week' app on the machine anywhere that I can find. not in settings or restrictions etc. The Week told me on the phone that they don't use that log in only that you log in with your paper subscription number. Also I have tried assorted names and passwords in case it was an apple pop up and it did not like any of them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No ideas here then. Unless someone else has the app and has seen this, I'm guessing you'll just have to wait for the developer's to get back to you.

Sorry.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll post what I find, if I find anything. So far the Week staff has asked : Please advise me if you have ever downloaded The Week app that was released by The Zumobi Network? My answer is no. I also note many (27) one star reviews of this app saying it crashes since the update. So I guess someone should be working on it. I HOPE!

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
further observation: this nasty little pox pops up everytime I download an app or update an app. The apple id doesn't not satisfy it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is starting to sound more like an Apple ID problem than an app problem.

Try scrolling to the bottom of the Featured tab in the App Store. You'll either see your Apple ID or a Sign In option. Tap this for options. Sign out, if necessary, then sign back in.

Wouldn't hurt to restart the iPad in between.

If you can't sign back in then something has (probably) happening with your Apple ID itself. After a few attempts it should offer you a link about forgetting your password. YOu can use that to reset the password. If that does not work contact Apple's iTunes support for help.

Good luck.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet, Well tried that and no joy. When I went back to Features to re sign in the first pop up was the pox. Had to close it to sign in with correct popup. I also have gone to safari and cleared cookies and history (trying anything). Interesting I type the pox title (api.app.theweek.com:80 )into my PC browser I get the same log in page so may not be an apple issue. Think the Zamboi company the Week lady asked about my be their publisher and the app set up for people who buy mag from them rather than paper copy subscribers. Will keep at it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see that you have tried this one.

Settings/General/Reset/Reset All Settings.

It's a bit of a blunt instrument, but when all else has failed...

Sorry if its already been tried. This one is a doozy.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kevin, that sounds like a pretty scary approach. Like chopping off your arm because it has a cut! I'd hate to brick the pad in the process. Have to think about it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
n4uau said:
Kevin, that sounds like a pretty scary approach. Like chopping off your arm because it has a cut! I'd hate to brick the pad in the process. Have to think about it.

I've never heard of anyone bricking an iPad by doing that.....and we have over a quarter of a million members here.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts