What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's an app update notification, in my app store, for an app I've never bought...

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How could this happen and how can I get rid of it? I'm not willing to buy this crappy app just to turn the notification off.

Thanks!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First did you download the free version if there is one? If not has anyone had access to your iPad?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes apps get renamed as well. You might have downloaded the original.

OP
P

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app is called MotionX GPS drive. I've never bought any sort of GPS app that I can think of in the past. I'm the only one who has ever used my iPad.

OP
P

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any ideas on how to get rid of this? Its not an app i've ever bought, I've looked thru all the apps I've downloaded and there is nothing even close. There is an error message that comes up when you push the update button "You can not update this software since you have not owned the major version of this software" - ya no ****, never have, never will!

You'd think there would be a way to cancel an update in the list.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any ideas on how to get rid of this? Its not an app i've ever bought, I've looked thru all the apps I've downloaded and there is nothing even close. There is an error message that comes up when you push the update button "You can not update this software since you have not owned the major version of this software" - ya no ****, never have, never will!

You'd think there would be a way to cancel an update in the list.

Ok...have you tried to just delete the app from your iPad. Then, you won't be bothered by that update notice.

Secondly, please watch the language here. While the forum software caught it THIS time, it may not the next.

Thank you,
Ski ~
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

OP
P

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Ok...have you tried to just delete the app from your iPad. Then, you won't be bothered by that update notice.

Secondly, please watch the language here. While the forum software caught it THIS time, it may not the next.

Thank you,
Ski ~

No Skimonkey, I cannot delete the app because there IS NO APP ON MY IPAD!! This thing has somehow appeared of of no where.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Puddy said:
No Skimonkey, I cannot delete the app because there IS NO APP ON MY IPAD!! This thing has somehow appeared of of no where.

Ok, first things first, can you check on the purchased tab in iTunes to see if it's listed there. Could it be an app that you might have downloaded and deleted some time ago and the Devhas since changed the name of the app? Finally, if you swipe the home screens all the way to the right you get to the Spotlight Search, put the app name in there and see if it comes up with anything.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Your post is confusing then. Somehow you have something on your iPad that is detecting an app update. Do what Gabriel1 has suggested.

Also-as Dewitt stated, some apps may be re-named. This might be a possibility for you here without realizing it.

By the way...I can read your message without the necessary CAPS IN YOUR WORDS!

Ski ~

OP
P

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Your post is confusing then. Somehow you have something on your iPad that is detecting an app update. Do what Gabriel1 has suggested.

Also-as Dewitt stated, some apps may be re-named. This might be a possibility for you here without realizing it.

By the way...I can read your message without the necessary CAPS IN YOUR WORDS!

Ski ~

I've searched everywhere, old apps that could have been renamed. There is nothing. I searched my iPad, again nothing. Should I try to back up & reset the iPad?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've searched everywhere, old apps that could have been renamed. There is nothing. I searched my iPad, again nothing. Should I try to back up & reset the iPad?

By chance, do you have your restrictions on? That may also be hiding an app.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By chance do you have your restrictions on?

Also, not sure if you have done the immediate fixes--like a restart and a reset?

...restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

...reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

OP
P

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
By chance do you have your restrictions on?

Also, not sure if you have done the immediate fixes--like a restart and a reset?

...restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

...reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

My restrictions are not enabled. I have reset and restarted my iPod recently and it still has the notification showing.

Sebyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem and have already done the advised actions in the above postings.

The thread seems to have just stopped, was there a resolution?

For me the worst part is that there were several updates in my listing and I did not see the MotionX. Even though it had never been previously installed on my iPad, the system installed MotionX and I got charged for it!

As I only have a wifi iPad the app is of no use to me.

It still shows up in my updates and if run installs the app again, which I instantly remove!!

Any suggestions?

OP
P

Puddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sebyte said:
I have the same problem and have already done the advised actions in the above postings.

The thread seems to have just stopped, was there a resolution?

For me the worst part is that there were several updates in my listing and I did not see the MotionX. Even though it had never been previously installed on my iPad, the system installed MotionX and I got charged for it!

As I only have a wifi iPad the app is of no use to me.

It still shows up in my updates and if run installs the app again, which I instantly remove!!

Any suggestions?

Sorry there was no solution, I'm stuck with this update in my App Store even tho I don't have the app, and never had the app. You'd think there would be a way to delete updates. Frustrating, and im surprised no one here had any useful info about it, we can't be the only ones? Perhaps if I jail break it there's a way to get rid of that notification?

Most reactions

Latest posts