What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theokf Business user of IPAD 2

Theokf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, everyone new to this forum, owner of IPhone and Ipad 2, consider my self a PC.

I'm a new user/owner of an IPAD 2 3G-WIFI 32 Gig. I bought it for two reasons and hoping a third would be possible as well, but let me explain.

My first reason for my puchase was the killer form-factor that is presented by this technology when combined with the logitech aluminum keyboard case. This combination should destroy everything on the market to day in this segment and arguably even do away with the need for laptops as a business tool.

The second reason I bought my IPAD 2 was the slick user interface, so responsive and easy to use, it was my favourite in the tests I conducted with all other tablets.

But with all that said I purchased it based on an expected shift in Apples focus with the upcoming IOS 5, to a more business focused orientation. Everything I've read does not support this initial view and I'm growing disappointed with the technology.

Though the IPAD and IPAD 2 have been monumental commercial successes I can't help but think, that its Achillis heel will be the missed opportunity to finish the job, by gearing up with a business friendly environment.

What would I want? we'll let start with a system specific centralized file management system, that is integral into the IOS, such that all apps would be able to access any app specific file from it. Additionally why on earth must I tolerate Safari as a web bowser rather than having Fire Fox? For all its "small is better" past culture and an alternative to the BIG Band closed minded IBM, Apple is disappointedly looking more and more IBMish than Mcrosoft ever did.

Using my IPAD 2 I feel like I'm locked into second rate software...or should I say Apps, which in itself sounds cheep. I'm blown away when people call software expensive at $39 or $50. I'm one user waiting for Apple's software writers to start servicing those of us that want to see this form-factor to succeed with serious users that want this to truly deliver the promise that this technology makes through it sheer appearance.

IOS 5 may be Apple's misstep that allows other tablet makers to catch up and surpass it.

Disappointedly written through the use of Safari, Theokf, owner of under utilized IPAD 2.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Theokf said:
Hi, everyone new to this forum, owner of IPhone and Ipad 2, consider my self a PC.

I'm a new user/owner of an IPAD 2 3G-WIFI 32 Gig. I bought it for two reasons and hoping a third would be possible as well, but let me explain.

My first reason for my puchase was the killer form-factor that is presented by this technology when combined with the logitech aluminum keyboard case. This combination should destroy everything on the market to day in this segment and arguably even do away with the need for laptops as a business tool.

The second reason I bought my IPAD 2 was the slick user interface, so responsive and easy to use, it was my favourite in the tests I conducted with all other tablets.

But with all that said I purchased it based on an expected shift in Apples focus with the upcoming IOS 5, to a more business focused orientation. Everything I've read does not support this initial view and I'm growing disappointed with the technology.

Though the IPAD and IPAD 2 have been monumental commercial successes I can't help but think, that its Achillis heel will be the missed opportunity to finish the job, by gearing up with a business friendly environment.

What would I want? we'll let start with a system specific centralized file management system, that is integral into the IOS, such that all apps would be able to access any app specific file from it. Additionally why on earth must I tolerate Safari as a web bowser rather than having Fire Fox? For all its "small is better" past culture and an alternative to the BIG Band closed minded IBM, Apple is disappointedly looking more and more IBMish than Mcrosoft ever did.

Using my IPAD 2 I feel like I'm locked into second rate software...or should I say Apps, which in itself sounds cheep. I'm blown away when people call software expensive at $39 or $50. I'm one user waiting for Apple's software writers to start servicing those of us that want to see this form-factor to succeed with serious users that want this to truly deliver the promise that this technology makes through it sheer appearance.

IOS 5 may be Apple's misstep that allows other tablet makers to catch up and surpass it.

Disappointedly written through the use of Safari, Theokf, owner of under utilized IPAD 2.

IOS5 isn't even out yet, and have you considered jailbreaking? Also, you may prefer the IPF app rather than posting through Safari.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, everyone new to this forum, owner of IPhone and Ipad 2, consider my self a PC. <snip>
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search feature (in the toolbar at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With respect to your iPad "review" in the enterprise environment, have a look here to see if any of this information helps...

http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/45100-if-you-fence-about-platform-buy-2.html#post310433

You could also visit our "iPad At Work" area for more information:

iPad Forums - iPad At Work

Beyond that, I can say that in a sense I used to be you...a PC guy. I switched to Apple about four years ago and would absolutely never return to a Windows environment again (although I still use it once in a while during some development that I do). That will be the sentiment you'll find with most Apple "switchers" and for good reason. Acclimating to the Apple environment does have a short learning curve. Probably one of the most difficult is letting go of the "file is king" concept. In the world of Apple the application is king. There are numerous ways to learn the system, many free so I'd advise taking advantage.

FWIW there are many, many browsers available for the iPad so you're not locked into using Safari by any means. I like iCab and Atomic myself.

Also, as MoonlitSonata suggests, you can download and use our iPad app to enjoy our forum:

Discussion Forum App for iPad Users

That said, if you find you cannot or do not want to adjust your way of thinking Apple products are probably not for you. Apple has a 14 day full-refund policy so if you're within that window you can return your iPad and shop for something else.

I'll reiterate, give it some time. If you hang in there and take the time to adjust to the differences the rewards will be much greater than you can imagine on a number of levels. Should you have questions, feel free to post them and I'm almost certain that you'll get the answers you're looking for.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
T

Theokf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One example of my frustration is trying to upload a photo to Facebook throughout Safari on my IPad 2. Try as I may, I just could not find the photo. I had the photo on my "Photo" app, but Facebook could not find it. I had to go to my iPhone facebook app on my IPad in order to upload the photo.
With regards to the app being "king" on an Apple or IPad environment; from a business and personal perspective my files are kng to my interest regardsless if it is a windows, unix, mainframe or Apple (Ipad).
The reference you made about getting my money back is somewhat disturbing. Reminds me of the IBM speak I would hear in the 90s. "This is what it is...we do things our way" and so on. As more PC heads come to Apple due to the form factor, I doubt that we'll adapt the same nature to the platform and more likely demand more openess and customer centric orientation. I don't have on IPad 2, but rather two IPad 2s, one for my wife. So my expectations are due to my want for this form factor to succeed. I've made a $1700 investment. I'll look through your suggestions and see what I can find.
For a business person the best thing that could happen for this form factor is to MS Office to be built specifically for the IPad 2. This would kill all competitors. Writing this from my IPad 2.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

iCab should sort out your Facebook problem, a search of these forums will provide the solution.

You may find that reading the good info on here and posting questions for things that you can't find the answer to will be more productive than just saying "it doesn't work for me". We are a helpful lot here and most times there are solutions but like any OS out there, something's just don't work the way you want.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html & hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The Archangel

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One example of my frustration is trying to upload a photo to Facebook throughout Safari on my IPad 2. <snip>
I guess the way I see it is no different than someone coming to Windows from, say, Linux and saying how it doesn't work for them. It does work (and extremely well IMHO), but perhaps not in the same fashion as you would like.

It sounds like your expectations may not have been realistic. You mention wanting to use Facebook as well as MS Office. Try keeping in mind the iPad is NOT a replacement for a computer; PC or Mac, desktop or laptop. If that's what you're hoping for I'm afraid you'll just be disappointed. It does an enormous amount of things very well and meets millions of folk's needs, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Rather than engage in a conversation about how right or wrong the iPad is for you (or how right or wrong Apple is in doing what they do), it's probably best to simply learn more about it. We're here to help anytime and as Gabriel points out all you have to do is ask.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anything your iPad can't do.......mine can.

cause i'm in the know!!!!!!

and i am a Mac user....

I : I
P: Perform
A: And
D: Deliver

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, another option I just thought of for you is Splashtop, for remotely viewing you desktop.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
T

Theokf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser said:

and i am a Mac user....

Hi, poser

Pop mail accounts sub-folder.

Is there anyway to set sub-folders up on a pop account?

I have my own domain with my own last name so it is convenient for people to remember my e-mail address.

It is a pop account, can it create sub-folders?

OP
T

Theokf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I guess the way I see it is no different than someone coming to Windows from, say, Linux and saying how it doesn't work for them. It does work (and extremely well IMHO), but perhaps not in the same fashion as you would like.

It sounds like your expectations may not have been realistic. You mention wanting to use Facebook as well as MS Office. Try keeping in mind the iPad is NOT a replacement for a computer; PC or Mac, desktop or laptop. If that's what you're hoping for I'm afraid you'll just be disappointed. It does an enormous amount of things very well and meets millions of folk's needs, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Rather than engage in a conversation about how right or wrong the iPad is for you (or how right or wrong Apple is in doing what they do), it's probably best to simply learn more about it. We're here to help anytime and as Gabriel points out all you have to do is ask.

I think you hit the mail on the head. My expectations may be off of what is delivered. The form factor is just so good and to tell you the truth the commercials set people up. I can't understand why the focus would not be business. I've made the investment and I'm not one to quit on something easily. But I only give credit to that which deserves it and unfortunately the criticism I make is valid. Once MS Office us ported to this platform much of my concerns should be resolved. We all have our needs and as the client base expands more people like me will drive the development that is underway. Yes I do want this to replace my laptop. Why not?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MS Office ported to the iPad! Has Microsoft announced this?

As for folders in the Mail App, it's coming in iOS 5 in another month.

Millions of iPads are being used on business quite successfully...

-t

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, poser

I have my own domain with my own last name so it is convenient for people to remember my e-mail address.

see, now thats the only thing i cant help you out with, but maybe iOS 5 can.

POP is a thing of the past, just like flash....we love it, but we will survive.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser said:

and i am a Mac user....

Hi, poser

Asked and answered more than a few times on the forum, but the basic answer is POP3 accounts will only show the Inbox, you cannot have folders.

Before you get up in arms, this has nothing to do with the iPad, Apple or Windows operating systems, it's a mail server issue. As poser suggests, POP3 mail accounts are quickly going by the wayside for a number of reasons. The answer is to switch to the now more common IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) account.

IMAP defaults to server storage, where POP3 defaults to computer based storage. Because IMAP is server-based, your email is identical everywhere you check it, on your work computer, home computer, laptop, smartphone, other computers, etc. You won't lose any emails (but be sure to backup all of your email anyway) and you will have much better control and more options (such as folders) when it comes to how your email is handled.

Can't go into detail here because switching depends somewhat on your ISP and your current email client but you should be able to contact your ISP or just Google for the instructions.

I have the same situation, my own domain names and use them for all of our email accounts. You should easily be able to set up your mail as an IMAP account. This will help going forward whether you use an iPad or any other device for email. Or you can wait a few weeks for the release of iOS 5 and continue to use POP3...but I'd still recommend switching to IMAP at some point.

Last edited:

Most reactions