What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sound on my iPad 3 just stopped

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
last night the sound just stopped while I was in the middle of a game. I've checked every setting I know of and still nothing. I did a restore and it upgraded to the latest 7.0.6 and still no sound. No sound with Siri or keyboard. Headsets work fine. Any suggestions?

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes. even with that switch off you would still hear siri

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have anything else to check?

Have you tried resetting your iPad, something worth doing with any system update, particularly if your iPad "plays up" after that?
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the white Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for your reply. Yes, I have tried that reset. I have also tried 'reset all settings', 'erase all content and settings', 'reset network settings' under the General/Reset options.

Anything else? I'll try anything at this point. Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clean the headphone jack and/or the dock connector. Use a toothbrush or a vacuum cleaner and be careful when doing it. Maybe there's dust or something else that makes your device think it's still plugged in.

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I had already tried compressed air in both ports. That didn't help. I will now try the vacuum....fingers are crossed!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few suggestions:

Insert the headphones again, play music, then stop or pause it and unplug the headphones.
Is there a volume control on your headphones? This could also be the reason for your problem.
Use the volume button(s) next to the side switch. What happens when you turn up/down the volume?
Did you set a volume limit in Settings - Music?
Some apps can mute the iPad. Force close apps on your iPad: double tap the Home button to reveal the multitask bar, swipe the pictures above the app icons towards the top of the screen.

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again but none of these suggestions work. This happened while I was in the middle of playing a game, I was not in any settings. I have done a full system restore which would have closed any apps that may have had the sound muted. Also, all volume control are set to max. Either way....Siri would still make noise. There is something deeper going on. Are there certain system files that control sound that could be replaced or regenerated? Is there a bios that could be flashed other than the iTunes system restore?

OP
T

tleo32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no other suggestions? Does anyone know if this is a common thing?

Most reactions

Latest posts