What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The openness of android...

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very interesting take on the so called "openness" of Android.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Demandarin said:

Well to be fair, it's true. The so called openness of the system is nothing but a marketing ploy really. They lock the bootloader on most phones thus making this "open customization" a load of bollocks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...a load of bollocks.
I'll take a whole bus load of these bullocks!

speed-keanu-bullock.jpg

Reaction score
Demandarin said:

They lock the bootloader on most phones thus making this "open customization" a load of bollocks.
I wasn't aware of that,thought only Moto,not Android, did that

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

Naw. Samsung does it too. And the nexus s bootloader is locked too.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

Naw. Samsung does it too. And the nexus s bootloader is locked too.

Why every time there is an article attacking Android do I not even need to look at the username of the OP to know who it is?. Yea, the Nexus S bootloader is "locked" alright. Here is how to unlock it:

Unlock Bootloader:
1. Open command prompt
2. Type 'adb reboot bootloader'
3. Type 'fastboot oem unlock'
4. Use volume keys to select 'yes, unlock bootloader'
5. Use power button to select option
6. Done!

Its made to be unlocked. And just to clarify, "they" as in Google, do not lock ANY bootloaders. That is the OEM's that do that, which is fully within their rights. If you built a phone and installed Android on it, there is zero need for a locked bootloader. Android itself IS an open platform. What OEM's and Carriers do with the OS after Google releases the SDK is beyond Google's control. They are not Apple. They don't want to have control from the top down. They produce an OS and then everyone is free to do whatever they want with it. So the fact that a device (nook color) that was released with Android 2.1 can have Android 3.0 loaded onto it by a few 16 year olds who tinker with the code tells me its a fairly open OS.

If you want to quibble about the definition of "open" as the author of this seems to want to do, fine. This all stems from them not releasing Honeycomb's source yet, even though the Xoom is being sold. The reason they aren't releasing the code is because it was obviously rushed to get that pile of garbage on the market, and you don't build upon garbage code. They are fixing it before they release it, which is the right move.

Last edited:

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My week old thunderbolt had a locked bootloader. HAD.

I'd say its pretty open source.

Custom roms are already out. Is say.that's pretty open source.

Poorly written article linked above. Why do we have to waste energy bashing other OS? There is room on the market for ios and Android.

Nate

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time Apple says something that does not meet the Droid interpretation of truth, we get a rush of postings here to 'set the facts straight'. Now that a basic tenet of Droidism is called for what it is, again we have the Droid defenders clamoring. The likelihood is that eventually, there will be only two mobile OS that count. WebOS and Win 7 are long shots, but if Google does not get their act together, they could wind up as also ran.

Most here do not care one way or the other about Android, but we recognize that for iOS to grow, someone has to compete with Apple. It says a lot about how well Apple has plotted their future that no one has become a competitor yet. Google, MS, and HP have got to stop reverse engineering Apple and start thinking ahead of Apple.

Google is worried crazy about the security of apps inside and outside the app market. And well they should as it could cost them a lot in the future. People are getting more and more concerned about how criminals and renegade countries are hacking our systems. Another major failure with malware getting onto Droid systems, and there could be a meltdown. Imagine the consequences if the government sets standards of where you can download apps from, and how those apps must be managed? They can do that for any phone that a contractor or employee uses. There are already people who cannot use smart phones because employers will not allow phones with cameras. Right or wrong, the days of real open systems are gone. Just like Apple has found it necessary to create enterprise changes because of the demand by consumers, Google will have to adjust to making it's system safer.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like android and apple. I have an outdated win mo phone, Tilt, that I got to dual boot with Android Froyo 2.2. I think it's cool as he'll to be able to dual boot either win mo OS or Android OS. I like the freedom of android to customize interface, not just changes..lol and the widgets. They have some cool apps out there also. But honestly, Android still is nowhere near matured yet. Apps are what makes this mobile wheel turn. Apple right now, has this wheel turning breaking the sound barrier compared to other OS. Other companies will need to catch up. Only way of doing that is thinkn ahead. Like I said before, I think Microsoft is the only one who could truly pull this off, if they want. The only company with more money, experience, and apps to knock apple off. Like for instance new blackberry apps. They are nowntrying to call them "Super Apps" to make them try to stand out from the crowd. I thinkmits a bunch of b.s. As those apps do exact same thing other apps do..lmao
As far as Apple vs. Android, can't we all just get along? Lmao. Competition will only make each other get better so it is needed!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time Apple says something that does not meet the Droid interpretation of truth, we get a rush of postings here to 'set the facts straight'. Now that a basic tenet of Droidism is called for what it is, again we have the Droid defenders clamoring. The likelihood is that eventually, there will be only two mobile OS that count. WebOS and Win 7 are long shots, but if Google does not get their act together, they could wind up as also ran.

Most here do not care one way or the other about Android, but we recognize that for iOS to grow, someone has to compete with Apple. It says a lot about how well Apple has plotted their future that no one has become a competitor yet. Google, MS, and HP have got to stop reverse engineering Apple and start thinking ahead of Apple.

Google is worried crazy about the security of apps inside and outside the app market. And well they should as it could cost them a lot in the future. People are getting more and more concerned about how criminals and renegade countries are hacking our systems. Another major failure with malware getting onto Droid systems, and there could be a meltdown. Imagine the consequences if the government sets standards of where you can download apps from, and how those apps must be managed? They can do that for any phone that a contractor or employee uses. There are already people who cannot use smart phones because employers will not allow phones with cameras. Right or wrong, the days of real open systems are gone. Just like Apple has found it necessary to create enterprise changes because of the demand by consumers, Google will have to adjust to making it's system safer.

I really enjoy reading your posts!

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"So they can work on it and refine it. Behind closed doors" Nice "take" on Honeycomb-Android 3.0.To be fair the SDK was released to developers a few weeks ago,now Google have "put the fence up".I also have a Dell Streak 5,running Froyo,and use it every day,as my main mobile/cell phone,so I do like "Google-Android" products.Google need to keep their eyes on the ball,to compete with Apple,as the ipad 1 and 2,are "killer" devices that the public just love.If when ipad 3 "comes to play" later this year,Google will have to pull out all the stops with what ever OS version is their latest,simply to try and keep pace.Competion is healthy,and what we need.Everyone wins.Slimmer,and faster devices,and more "wow factor" reviews,and hardware to look at.So for me,this is good news.Will Apple lose any sleep.Not with their sales profit margin.:)

Last edited:
OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Why is it that every article I post is hailed as me being an android hater? Frankly, im getting sick of this. I feel as if I should stop posting simply because I am attacked everytime I do by certain members of this forum.

I HAVE an android phone. I sell them all day. I have NO issue with the OS. what I DO have issues with is people constantly comparing ios to android. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The reason I posted that article was so people could get some insight.

Enough is enough. Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The price of fame is stalkers..........but the chicks are free!

<Freebird was the anthem of our youth :)>

Most reactions

Latest posts