What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Recorded Music Thread

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
New thread for posting details of recordings that you'd like to share, along with any reviews you care to write.

Please stick to details of recordings. We already have threads for simply telling us what you are listening to, or supplying YouTube videos.

I'll start off with:

Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour BluRay

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 12.57.05 AM.png

The single disk opens with a steampunk inspired menu containing links to the concert, scene selection, audio setup (DTS HD 5.1 or DD 2.0) and special features.

Having selected 5.1 and turning the volume well up, you can sit back and watch as the Canadian trio blast through some of their classic tracks, covering thirty years of their history. The first part of the concert last around 1 hour 10 minutes, after which Geddy Lee announces a short intermission with the claim that the band needs a rest since they are about a thousand years old.

For the second half of the concert, the band are joined by the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble, an 8 piece string section, who lend able assistance for each track from the band's latest, and 20th, studio album.

Following the performance of the Clockwork Angels pieces, the band continue with Red Sector A and the instrumental YYZ. Bidding farewell to the string ensemble, the concert concludes with Spirit of Radio, and an encore presentation of Tom Sawyer and 2112.

All up, the concert footage lasts just over 3 hours, and if rock is your thing, it's a must have.

Price in Canada is around $26.

I know we have some music aficionados in the forum. Please feel free to post anything you'd like to recommend.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My next recording is a FLAC rip of the CD version. The files were ripped using EAC on my Windows Vista PC.

In 1977, Yes released Going For The One. Unusually for the time, one of the tracks found favour amongst the British single buying public, and Wondrous Stories enjoyed a brief climb up the charts. This was curtailed, according to keyboard player Rick Wakeman, after the band appeared on Top of the Pops and the public saw the rather hideous looking 5 piece and stopped buying the single.

images.jpeg

Whether the afore-mentioned story is true, I have no idea. Rick Wakeman is a master storyteller, and could tell any tale with a straight face

What is certainly true is that after nearly 40 years, the album sounds as fresh as it did on first release. Another tale concerning Yes was the one concerning just WHO the members of the group were. Guitarist Steve Howe apparently answered that with "The first five people to turn up to practice".

To me, the band appearing on Going for The One are the definitive Yes. Anderson, Howe, White, Wakeman and Squire do a masterful job of ploughing through some quite remarkable music.

The title track is reasonably heavy and one can be forgiven for thinking that this will be just another rock album. Turn of the Century is the second track and starts with an acoustic guitar intro from Steve Howe, soon joined by Jon Anderson's vocals. The song builds in complexity during its eight minute length, but remains absolutely peaceful throughout.

In 1977, data transmission of the type we now take for granted was pretty well unknown. The album was mixed at Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland, and part of Rick Wakeman's contribution to the effort was his keyboard parts played on the organ of St. Martin's Cathedral, Vevey. The organ parts were transmitted 15 kilometres to the studio by high fidelity telephone line. Parallels begins with music from that organ, and forms a major part of the last track, the 15 minute "Awaken", which follows the already mentioned "Wondrous Stories".

Here is a link to Amazon if you would like to buy this amazing album:

http://www.amazon.com/Going-One-Yes/dp/B00007LTIC

If you would like to see and hear the organ used by Wakeman, here is a short YouTube video

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a tale in circulation that a group of musicians once decided that they had had enough of conductors, and decided to form their own orchestra without one. Thus was born The Academy of St Martin in the Fields. As time went by, they relented in their opposition to conductors and allowed Sir Neville Marriner to wave the baton.

My next featured recording is a joint effort between the Academy and the group Sky and was recorded in 1987.

mozart.jpg

Simply titled Mozart, it comprises 12 arrangement of the Austrian composer's work. I acquired this recording on the day of its release and the version I'm now listening to is an AAC rip courtesy of iTunes. The sound quality is perfectly adequate through MacBookPro speakers.

Purists may sniff at the inclusion of rock instruments, but I think Mozart would have approved.

Here is the track list in iTunes.

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 1.18.56 AM.png

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Sting: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [Soundtrack]

The Sting.jpg

The movie, over 40 years old now, was a biggest hit in early 1970 with Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Robert Shaw. All theaters were jammed. It was a phenomenon at the time. I too was hooked. When the vinyl LP record came out, I bought it with my first Bose 901 series III speakers.
I'd hope that younger generation still could appreciate the magnificent works by the great artists Marvin Hamlisch and Scott Joplin.

Vinyl LP record is no longer available, except from ebay. On this record, there was a soundtrack with nothing but drums. The sound of the drums, my God, could shake the whole house (my neighbor then, an old lady, thought there was an earthquake). Try it only with the best speakers system. :)

Audio CD is available from Amazon. But I am not sure it was the same as the LP that I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Origina...03774973&sr=1-1&keywords=the+sting+soundtrack
http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Origina...03774973&sr=1-2&keywords=the+sting+soundtrack

Here is a portion on youtube:

The Sound of Music, Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Sound of Music.jpg

Another 40+ years old masterpiece. Julie Andrews was absolutely fantastic in this movie. The music can't be any more beautiful.

It is available in Audio CD from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Music-4...sr=1-1&keywords=the+sound+of+music+soundtrack

Here is a portion on youtube.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My next recording is another AAC rip from CD.

Around 1958 Arthur C Clarke wrote a short story called The Songs Of Distant Earth. He later expanded it into a full novel, and then a synopsis for a screenplay. Songs Of Distant Earth was supposedly Clarke's favourite of all his works, and it is a pity it was never adapted for the screen as he wished.

Having read the book, and having been captivated by the story, Mike Oldfield wrote a score for the potential movie. To date, the movie has never been written and perhaps never will be, but the CD is available.

The first track on the disc (and the reason I originally ripped it) is a data track for Mac only. Since I was using Windows when I bought the disk I found that the data track got in the way so I ripped the music tracks for convenience. One day, now I have a Mac, I'll have to dig the disk out and see what the data track is all about.

Musically, the album is typical Oldfield. Multiple instruments and voices blend together into an utterly peaceful mix, depicting scenes from the movie that never was. It is definitely worth a listen, and stands alone whether you have any interest in science fiction or the works of Arthur C Clarke.

Here's the track list in iTunes:-

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 10.25.22 PM.png

For those who are interested in the history of the novel, here is the Wikipedia page:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Songs_of_Distant_Earth

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The music industry has always loved numbers. We all know exactly what is meant by "Who is Number 1 this week?" Let's face it. It could mean anything, but it always refers to the person whose latest song is at the top of the charts; what used to be called "The Hit Parade" amongst other equally strange names.

So, where am I going with this? Now Playing:-

zzz.jpg

Often mentioned as the first commercially available Compact Disk. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms.

In fact, it was not the first music recorded or sold on CD, but it was the 1st to sell 1,000,000 copies on the (then) new medium.

Needless to say, I bought a copy of this album when it was new. That copy was lost when the car in which I was a passenger was involved in an accident. During the rollover, the CD was ejected in a most violent manner. So the version I am now listening to is a "remastered" version with "super bit mapping", whatever that may mean.

Whatever it means, this is still a superb album. It's easy to use as background music, and equally possible to sit down with the volume at wall shaking levels and analyze every note. For me, this album surpasses Love Over Gold as Dire Straits finest hour. Each of the 9 tracks is a masterpiece, and if there is no Telegraph Road on this album, there are 9 solid tracks that add up to a magnificent musical experience. From the rock 'n' roll inspired Walk Of Life, the thoughtful Your Latest Trick and the melodic title track, there is something here for every musical taste.

iTunes track list:

Screen Shot 2014-06-28 at 12.15.35 AM.png

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would this worth $40 - $140 ticket for one and a trip to Charlotte, NC ?;)

Common Courtesy
A Day to Remember

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/common-courtesy/id727205585

Common Courtesy.png

Biography
Formed: 2003 in Ocala, FL
Genre: Rock
Years Active: '00s, '10s
A Day to Remember were formed in 2003 and mix emo, hardcore, and metal into a blend affectionately referred to by their fans as "pop mosh." Hailing from Ocala, Florida, vocalist Jeremy McKinnon, guitarists Neil Westfall and Tom Denney, bassist Joshua Woodard, and drummer Bobby Scruggs financed their first EP themselves, then signed with Indianola Records for the release of their full-length And Their Name Was Treason in spring 2005. The record went on to sell over 8,000 copies through word of mouth...
TRACKLIST
01. City of Ocala
02. Right Back At It Again
03. Sometimes You�re The Hammer, Sometimes You�re The Nail
04. Dead & Buried
05. Best of Me
06. I'm Already Gone
07. Violence (Enough Is Enough)
08. Life @ 11
09. I Surrender
10. Life Lessons Learned The Hard Way
11. End Of Me
12. The Document Speaks For Itself
13. I Remember

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Music has a long history of borrowing from the other arts, and for the next recording, one must go back to the dawn of science fiction and the work of Jules Verne to find the original inspiration.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth is one of the few books I have read in French. I actually received a copy free from a French gas station during a diesel promotion, and read it with interest.

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 2.15.10 AM.png

Clearly, Rick Wakeman read it too, and then set the story to music. Wakeman is quite unconventional in his approach to his music. Extravagant to the extreme, he thinks nothing of borrowing the occasional orchestra to bring his music to life. At the opposite end of the scale, when asked which famous singer he was going to use for the vocals for Journey, he said, "Oh, my mate down the pub is going to do it." One can imagine the consternation as the London Symphony Orchestra and the English Chamber Choir joined forces with a pub band to record the album at the Royal Festival Hall, London, England. Things went without a hitch, though, and 14 million copies have proven that convention is not necessarily the best formula.

I had the vinyl version of Journey To The Centre of the Earth, but that copy is long gone. It was the first LP I ever bought, and my present copy is a CD recording, which was part of a limited edition 4 disk collection which celebrated Wakeman's 25 years in music as a solo musician. The other disks were "6 Wives of Henry VIII" "The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table" and "White Rock".

I suppose Arthur eclipses Journey for me in terms of Wakeman's musicianship, but the huge sound of the band, orchestra and choir has its place too.

No track list, really. Two songs appear on Side 1 of the vinyl disk - The Journey and Recollections, and a further two on Side 2 - The Battle and The Forest. Apart from those, the album is a single track, telling the story without a break.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
White Rock has long been one of my favorite soundtrack albums. I've always wondered what the film was like. It doesn't seem to exist now.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
White Rock has long been one of my favorite soundtrack albums. I've always wondered what the film was like. It doesn't seem to exist now.

I've never seen it either, @LannyC. Apparently, the movie was about the Winter Olympics in Austria, 1976.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rush: 2112 Five Point One

I'd intended leaving Rush alone for a while and concentrating on a few other areas, but I've just had an absolute gem turn up that I'd totally forgotten about.

This recording, which is blasting out as I type, is a 5.1 24-bit DVD recording of 2112. The package also contains a remastered version of the CD with bonus material.

image.jpg

Can't really tell you much about the recording, because I'd forgotten I'd bought it. 2112 is one of those timeless recordings, which can easily be mentioned in the same sentence as "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "Stairway To Heaven". In short, it is one of THE rock classics.

The recording goes back to an era when Rush's future was by no means certain. Mercury Records had no idea what to do with them. The music was not commercial. It did not stand up to critics; the majority of whom seemed to hate the band. After 3 studio albums, the future did not look promising. So the band basically said "To hell with everyone. Let's go out in style." 2112 was born, and nothing was ever quite the same again. Induction into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame was still a quarter century away, to the eternal shame of the adjudicators, but the band developed a cult following. In Europe, South America, the USA, the band could do no wrong, and Peart, the professor on the drum kit, was elevated to almost god-like status.

2112 is a long track. It occupied the whole of side 1 of the vinyl disk, and tells the story of the rediscovery of music in a future totalitarian society, and does it very well. Geddy Lee's voice was at the height of its banshee high pitches in those days, and if you love it, 2112 is a must have recording. Alex Lifeson's guitar work established him as a master of the craft. He truly is a virtuoso performer.

A further 5 tracks finish off the album. Each one is a major milestone in rock history, but pale into insignificance when compared to the title track. A Passage To Bangkok, The Twilight Zone, Lessons, Tears and Something For Nothing are the track names.

Suffice it to say, 2112 did not incur the wrath of the record company axe men, and the group went on to great things. How CAN you top such a magnificent piece of work? Well, they did it, over and over again. I'm sure I'll be revisiting Rush as this thread progresses...

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Worshyp

Evil Abounds and Kingdom Earth

I have been an avid collector of music for years, and something of an early adopter. I'll try anything that looks promising. but it took me a long time to succumb to the temptations of purely digital content. Somehow, having a disk, even if I immediately ripped it to iTunes and stored it, was a comforting factor.

However, I've been active on Twitter for some time now, and have come across quite a few bands who use social media to publicize their work.

So, having listened to a few YouTube recordings, I headed for the iTunes store one day and came away with:

Evil Abounds https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/evil-abounds/id598659305

and

Kingdom Earth https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/kingdom-earth/id598660156

by The Worshyp. These are my first purchases in the purely digital realm.

I then had the surreal experience of being able to listen to each track and live tweet the experience and my thoughts, while members of the band watched their Twitter feed for instant feedback. Listening to work for the first time while being in real time communication with the performers is a wild ride.

Incidentally, follow @TheWorshyp on Twitter. They claim their work to be thrash, but I actually find it quite melodic and thoughtful. Definitely worth a look, if you are into rock.

iTunes tracklist:

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 8.36.37 PM.png

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On September 19th, 1981, Ed Koch stood in front of a crowd of 500,000 people and uttered the now famous words "Ladies and gentlemen; Simon and Garfunkel" that launched one of the most iconic performances in music history.

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 11.08.12 PM.png

Personal issues between Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel had assured the breakup of the duo, but the effort to raise funds for the restoration of Central Park was sufficient reason for the pair to perform together, although neither of them saw it as a reunion.

The version I'm presently listening to is the CD version. I also own the DVD version, but can't lay hands on it right now.

Most reactions

Latest posts