What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW iPad screen

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently own the original iPad and I put a Power Support anti glare protector on it, helps with fingerprints and of course glare, but the new ipad has the same type of coating that's on the iPhone 4's Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, so I'm thinking of NOT putting on the screen protector, hate to blur up that extremely fine display anyways, but wondered what the rest of you guys/gals think about not putting something on there?

Also I've read some reviews on the Smart cover, some claim that it comes off to easily, but it certainly looks like a nice way to cover the screen up, any thing about this that I would worry on using it? The one thing looks like it doesn't do vertical, but that's not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance,
G2

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I currently own the original iPad and I put a Power Support anti glare protector on it, helps with fingerprints and of course glare, but the new ipad has the same type of coating that's on the iPhone 4's Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, so I'm thinking of NOT putting on the screen protector, hate to blur up that extremely fine display anyways, but wondered what the rest of you guys/gals think about not putting something on there?

Yes There is no need for a Screen Protector on the iPad's It is already the toughest glass with scratch resistant feature, However, having said that Sand Molecules can cause a scratch on it. So if you intend to use your iPad on a Beach. I suggest you put a Screen Guard on it. But In normal use there is no need of a screen guard.

Also I've read some reviews on the Smart cover, some claim that it comes off to easily, but it certainly looks like a nice way to cover the screen up, any thing about this that I would worry on using it? The one thing looks like it doesn't do vertical, but that's not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance,
G2

I have had couple of my friends use the smart cover on the iPad's and they seem to be pretty happy using it, it is a very handy cover which protects your iPad while carrying and gives you that additional feeling of safety ! I suggest go for it.

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quite a while ago, in the days of the old Windows Mobile PDA; I used to be obsessed with fitting a screen protector to my new device, as soon as I took it out the box. Things have changed for me since the adoption of gorilla glass and I can't see the benefit of screen protectors anymore. Having said that; I don't abuse my iphone/ipad and always keep them in fully enclosed leather cases. I know that some of the new screen protectors are high quality and you can hardly tell that they're installed (if fitted correctly). But most of the ones I see are guys at work who must have installed their screen protector whilst eating a peanut butter sandwich. Protectors that don't line up and have air-bubbles/lint-bubbles in my opinion detract from the high quality of the apple devices. Apple doesn’t endorse screen protectors and on my new iPad, I will be enjoying the new retina display without a screen protector.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quite a while ago, in the days of the old Windows Mobile PDA; I used to be obsessed with fitting a screen protector to my new device, as soon as I took it out the box. Things have changed for me since the adoption of gorilla glass and I can't see the benefit of screen protectors anymore. Having said that; I don't abuse my iphone/ipad and always keep them in fully enclosed leather cases. I know that some of the new screen protectors are high quality and you can hardly tell that they're installed (if fitted correctly). But most of the ones I see are guys at work who must have installed their screen protector whilst eating a peanut butter sandwich. Protectors that don't line up and have air-bubbles/lint-bubbles in my opinion detract from the high quality of the apple devices. Apple doesn’t endorse screen protectors and on my new iPad, I will be enjoying the new retina display without a screen protector.

Couldn't agree more !! And as you said rightly, not putting a screen guard, one also ensures that he or she does not abuse the device and use it the proper way.

lique831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had my iPad 1 from launch day to last Wednesday. Never used a screen protector on it and when I sold it, it looked brand new without a single scratch. I won't be putting a screen protector on my new iPad either.

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the feedback, and I'm also extremely picky on my devices, my family and coworkers call me Monk because of my OCD ;) which I think of as a compliment and in my mind figure that they too wish they could be just like me lol...
G2

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the feedback, and I'm also extremely picky on my devices, my family and coworkers call me Monk because of my OCD ;) which I think of as a compliment and in my mind figure that they too wish they could be just like me lol...
G2

hehe when I think back to those screen protector days... ...I used to fill the bathroom with steam from running hot water to try and give myself a dust free environment to work in...I read that somewhere on the internet...lol Even then, I'd normally take about 3-4 attempts (each with a new screen protector) to get it exactly 100% correct and lint-free. My wife always dreaded me getting a new device because it was like a military operation. All I can say is, thank goodness for Gorilla glass, my screen protector days are long gone....lol OCD! yeah, you could call it that! :D

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All I can say is, thank goodness for Gorilla glass, my screen protector days are long gone....lol OCD! yeah, you could call it that! :D

You bet Gorilla Glass is the best thing to have happened to all these devices Mobiles, Tablets...

ourflat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe the iPad 2 glass is better because mine cracked when the magnetic cover allowed my tablet to slip out of my hands, slide down my lap, and cracked when the corner made contact with the carpet. Apple wouldn't stand behind their product and wants $350 dollars to replace the digitizer screen. I will not purchase another Apple product until the thousands of unhappy iPad owners and myself are compensated for replacement of the defective gorilla glass!

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe the iPad 2 glass is better because mine cracked when the magnetic cover allowed my tablet to slip out of my hands, slide down my lap, and cracked when the corner made contact with the carpet. Apple wouldn't stand behind their product and wants $350 dollars to replace the digitizer screen. I will not purchase another Apple product until the thousands of unhappy iPad owners and myself are compensated for replacement of the defective gorilla glass!

I think we're talking about 2 different things here, the OP started a discussion re: the need for a screen protector (normally associated with preventing surface scratches to the display). I've never heard of a screen protector that would prevent breakage of a dropped unit's screen. Do you have a link to the source of the info on thousands of customer's with defective iPad screens? I'd be interested to read it. Just out of curiosity, isn't this kind of accidental damage covered by your home insurance policy, I know mines is? I'm not being protective of Apple here, because clearly if a product is 'Defective' you're entitled to have it repaired/replaced FoC. I guess, in your case, it's difficult to prove that you were not negligent in actually letting the unit drop onto the floor, even though you think that shouldn't have been enough to damage it; Yeah, that's a difficult one.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The oleophobic coating works and works well. I don't have anything on the screen of my 4S and very very rarely need to clean fingerprints off it at all, whereas a colleague has a protector on his and is forever cleaning it as it gets so covered in muck.

I really don't get screen protectors on modern kit as the glass is so tough that anything that's going to scratch it will go through a protector like a hot knife through butter.

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am tempted to remove my screen protector on my iphone 4, have the power support anti glare on there now, figured that would get more chances of being banged around, even when I'm careful where and what pocket I put it in, but, it does dampen the screen clarity, due to the anti glare portion, but, I think I'll just take that rascal off right now haha, you guys talked me into it, that plus it's my company's phone so if something untoward happens to it, the onus is on them and not me to get a replacement... ;)
G2

Edited to add that while this isn't the iphone forum, just took off the Power Support Anti Glare and WOW, MAN is that one lovely display!!! photos really POP now and that coating does seem to keep the fingerprints down a lot...

Last edited:

Most reactions