What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new iOS download: good download experience but the new iOS 6 ..... Ho humm??

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very pleased with the download. I'm beginning to believe prior comments "Apple, it just works ". But this new you beaut upgrade? After some of the on-line build up it really seems a fizzle. Go to the home page and what has changed? Wow, there is clock icon. I wear a watch but OK I can get the time in other cities so could be of some use. But no other new visible apps. Yes I do like SIRI, great fun and could be quite useful but Apple, if you are going to provide an " intuitive " iPad experience, how hard would it have been to have a nice home screen SIRI app? What's with holding down the home button for a while? The maps app looks the same but I think also a fizzle - I know where I live but could be useful to view streets elsewhere. And somehow I can't see any improvement over previous Google experience. Some improvements in Mail. Not much else. Conclusion .. A missed opportunity to provide a new and exciting UI with this " new operating system"

else.theopportunity

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tend to agree and I am very disappointed with this update. I played with Siri for all of 10 minutes today and to be honest it was pretty useless, I can do things faster by opening the apps the old fashioned way.

As for the maps app!!!! No comment............

Can't see any difference in using FB either.......

All in all the hype was bigger than the actual update.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see anything I really wanted when iOS 6 features were initially announced, and I knew maps would lose functions that I like, so I didn't upgrade my iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.

I upgraded my touch 4 to check out the new firmware (and only because I use my touch in such a limited way that I figured that risking iOS 6 couldn't hobble my uses). So far, I've liked the new app-upgrading UI and not having to use a password to update. That's a pretty weak positive, though.

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Man you guys are making it harder for me to decide whether or not I want to update lol!

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
Man you guys are making it harder for me to decide whether or not I want to update lol!

No James, don't mind us "glass half empty" bods. Download! It's free. And hassle free and why not have the latest? There ARE improvements and you'll be in a position to take advantage of any change updates when Sir Apple decides to favour us with some improvements (fixes). At the very least play with SIRI, she's quite entertaining and often quite useful. I didn't know I had so many pizza joints in my area!
Regards, Andrew

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can someone please let us know whether Lyrics are back in the music app in ios 6 for ipad?

noel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason i cant even download ios 6 on my new ipad, keep getting the error message, after reading all the negative comments about it i dont think il bother !

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
noel1 said:
For some reason i cant even download ios 6 on my new ipad, keep getting the error message, after reading all the negative comments about it i dont think il bother !
It must be supposed your post is either a statement of opinion or a request for assistance from this forum, members of which I have found are very aware and helpful people indeed. In either case you do seem to have had a LOT of (I'm amazed at how many) problems with the new iPad going by your previous posts or recently with the new iOS6, a situation that can only elicit sympathy . Now if you need some more assistance, letting people know what that "error message" was could probably help. But if you have made up your mind to throw in the towel, so to speak, well there is also Android and Microsoft tablets now and upcoming that you can have a good go at.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No James, don't mind us "glass half empty" bods. Download! It's free. And hassle free and why not have the latest? There ARE improvements and you'll be in a position to take advantage of any change updates when Sir Apple decides to favour us with some improvements (fixes). At the very least play with SIRI, she's quite entertaining and often quite useful. I didn't know I had so many pizza joints in my area!
Regards, Andrew

It's not matter of glass half empty: If iOS 5.1.1 works well for me, I'm not going to switch to something that takes away what works well, in trade for other stuff I don't particularly care for. That's just common sense. Of course, each user decides for himself which features are most valuable.

The fact that the upgrade is free is irrelevant. The fact that once you upgrade you can't downgrade (beyond a narrow window that Apple probably will slam shut quickly) is why some users would hesitate, given the widespread criticism of Apple mapping.

Personally, I also find Siri a worthless feature at this point. Apple might develop it into something useful eventually, but even they admit it's a beta product now. I played with it for about three days when I got my iPhone 4S. The novelty quickly wore off.

There are plenty of things that iPad and iPhone do well. iOS 6 maps and Siri don't happen to be among those right now. To me, that's a realistic look at what works vs. what doesn't.

Being optimistic or not has nothing to do with the features as they exist now. You can be as optimistic as you like, but that doesn't change the functionality of iOS 5.1.1 or 6 as they stand now.

All that each user has to do is decide which features are most valuable to him now.

And the opportunity to upgrade will remain. The chance to downgrade won't.

Last edited:

noel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
It must be supposed your post is either a statement of opinion or a request for assistance from this forum, members of which I have found are very aware and helpful people indeed. In either case you do seem to have had a LOT of (I'm amazed at how many) problems with the new iPad going by your previous posts or recently with the new iOS6, a situation that can only elicit sympathy . Now if you need some more assistance, letting people know what that "error message" was could probably help. But if you have made up your mind to throw in the towel, so to speak, well there is also Android and Microsoft tablets now and upcoming that you can have a good go at.

Don't get me wrong OB I love my iPad to bits, it just frustrates the hell out of me regarding wifi connection, it stays connected for about 10 mins then loses connection, the only way to get it back is to slide it into airplane mode then back, believe me I've tried everything ! The thing is I use an iPhone 4 a 4s and an iPad 2 on the same wifi connection and don't have any trouble regarding wifi connection at all, any pointers would be gratefully recieved

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Siri is a waste of time. How many times do I have to repeat repeat repeat something before Siri gets it? Stupid when I can type something once and it's done. Maybe as a gimmick it's OK fun.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kippyw said:
Siri is a waste of time. How many times do I have to repeat repeat repeat something before Siri gets it? Stupid when I can type something once and it's done. Maybe as a gimmick it's OK fun.

Have you asked Siri how many times you have to repeat something?

The Archangel

Jojo Diamse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluray said:
Yeh, I hear your cries mate. A lot of people are bummed out by iOS 6.

I updated my ipad 2 & 3 with the new ios 6 and i recognized that there is something wrong with the headphone jack's input. Both of my ipad 2 & 3 got the same problem when i updated them to IOS 6.and i only got the right ear working but when i play with the tip of the jack and pull it a little bit then that's the time both left & right earpiece works...are you experiencing the same problem?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Pretty much. Siri understands my commands, but doesn't find what I need. I request a BMW dealership in my city and it comes up with 15 places that sell tires, replace windshields, do auto repairs, etc., but doesn't find a single dealership, of which there are three in my immediate area. I do a google search and it automatically offers me auto-fill once I type BMW d... and finds what I need.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts