What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The lamest criticism of the Ipad

Jaseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know what gets to me. All the people out there who keep saying the Ipad is just a giant Ipad touch or Iphone. That's like saying "why buy a laptop? It's just a smaller computer."

Yes it is running the same OS. Why wouldn't it? The OS is specifically designed for touch, why would Apple not use it for a device controlled by touch?

The size matters! It's part of the whole experience. It makes everything easier to do. If you want a pocket device, then buy one. Some people want something with a bigger screen without the weight of a notebook. If you don't want a larger device, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're happy with your Iphone, great! But just because *you* don't want such a device, don't have such a lack of imagination to think there aren't users with different preferences and need.

The chip in the Ipad is far more robust than anything you will get on an Ipod touch, Iphone or other pocket device, or smartphone.

I guess a stool would be a dumb idea too. After all it's just a little chair without the back :D

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice post... Except that...it IS just a giant ipod touch.

With the better processor they should have allowed real multi-tasking at the very least.

Geing a giant ipod touch isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you people have got to stop pretending that it's much more than that. It's going to do exactly what I need it to do.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is much more than that. The giant screen and A4 processor open up the possibilities of what you can do with the iPad.

Apple is playing Goldilocks here, they are hoping that the iPad is not to big, not to small but JUST THE RIGHT size to appeal to millions of people

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work out of my home and I am constantly on my touch when I'm not at a laptop or desktop. I love the functionality of the touch. Saying the ipad is going to be larger version of the touch is actually a compliment to how great the touch really is. Worst case, if I got exactly the same funtionality from the ipad with the larger display, I would still be very happy. Now add to that untethered 3G data, faster more robust processing and HD display and I'm in heaven. Anyone who thinks they are insulting the ipad by comparing it to the touch has obviously never used one.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at the Apple store in Albuquerque about 3 or 4 weeks ago - buying a cover for my MacBook Pro. I asked the person helping me if they had seen an iPad or if they had any particular thoughts / had heard anything from the inside about it. He said "Yep - it's just a much larger version of the iPod Touch".

I felt like slapping him!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to me it this is the reason behind the my personal belief about the Ipad

1-i want a stand along system that does not take a army of gear to get it to run and run the basic i want to do ..

a-check the morning emails and do a little surfing of the web here and there keeping up with about 8 diff websites i vist daily in my life along with makeing a post here or there about a subect that comes up ....plus lose about 20.pds of stuff that comes with a carrying around a laptop for personal and business work ..i use my smart phone a lot when iam out working around the areas of the citys i travel to and it nice to clear up a lot of the programs that are of a personal to me are on the phone and get them off the phone to give me back the space inside the phone for use for other apps that would be better in the long run for work ..i use my gps drive by and street travel set up with a lot of diff places saved to my phone and this way iam clearing up the hardrive on the phone and make a lot more room as it need ..
b-basic ipod music player
c-keeper of the list of the book and dvd player collections i have at the cabin along with the fact of basic keeping me from buying a same two copys of the books
d-game system load with the basic game i like to player for down time..

plus with small travel electronics items the less you pack and the less you need ..

like i said in one post ..i went in a wieghed the laptop backpack with it laptop and protable printer and all the other items i carryed for my work ..it came in around 22.pds total wieght with the backpack filled with items ..so cut down on a lot of items will help in the long run with travel with less ..

so say what you want about the unit it goes to cut into the people thinking about takeing the laptop on the next trip or do away with the laptop and carry the ipad and a few basic accessories items in a bag and be a lot more happy about the traveling for work without beening wieghted down with a lot of items that you really do not need ..

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to me it this is the reason behind the my personal belief about the Ipad

1-i want a stand along system that does not take a army of gear to get it to run and run the basic i want to do ..

a-check the morning emails and do a little surfing of the web here and there keeping up with about 8 diff websites i vist daily in my life along with makeing a post here or there about a subect that comes up ....plus lose about 20.pds of stuff that comes with a carrying around a laptop for personal and business work ..i use my smart phone a lot when iam out working around the areas of the citys i travel to and it nice to clear up a lot of the programs that are of a personal to me are on the phone and get them off the phone to give me back the space inside the phone for use for other apps that would be better in the long run for work ..i use my gps drive by and street travel set up with a lot of diff places saved to my phone and this way iam clearing up the hardrive on the phone and make a lot more room as it need ..
b-basic ipod music player
c-keeper of the list of the book and dvd player collections i have at the cabin along with the fact of basic keeping me from buying a same two copys of the books
d-game system load with the basic game i like to player for down time..

plus with small travel electronics items the less you pack and the less you need ..

like i said in one post ..i went in a wieghed the laptop backpack with it laptop and protable printer and all the other items i carryed for my work ..it came in around 22.pds total wieght with the backpack filled with items ..so cut down on a lot of items will help in the long run with travel with less ..

so say what you want about the unit it goes to cut into the people thinking about takeing the laptop on the next trip or do away with the laptop and carry the ipad and a few basic accessories items in a bag and be a lot more happy about the traveling for work without beening wieghted down with a lot of items that you really do not need ..

So...you want a big iPod Touch! :p

OP
J

Jaseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice post... Except that...it IS just a giant ipod touch.

With the better processor they should have allowed real multi-tasking at the very least.

Geing a giant ipod touch isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you people have got to stop pretending that it's much more than that. It's going to do exactly what I need it to do.

I am sure that Apple could have easily provided multi-tasking but decided not to. I am guessing one reason is memory. If you have the 16GB model, and you have quite a bit of stuff on there, and you start running a bunch of apps at once, you might even crash the system, or at least make it barely responsive. Then you add the hit to battery life that multi-tasking gives you, and you can see Apple's reasoning in deciding not yet.

The problem in my opinion is not a software one at all, it is hardware. Give it a year or two with better battery technology and larger standard memory and you will see multi-tasking.

And I still say, it's a bit silly to say it's no good because it's just a big Ipod Touch. The screen size is practically the whole point of the thing. Which would you rather read a book on, an Ipad or an Ipod Touch? As you said, it will do what you need. That is the point.

The real question is, why would it not be very similiar to the Ipod Touch? Okay, we are making a tablet sized computer, which will be run by touch. Hmm, we have this operating system that does just that. To me it's just a natural evolution that is taking place, and the larger size allows Apple to cram a bit more into it. The next generation it will evolve further, and have even more crammed in, such as a camera.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at the Apple store in Albuquerque about 3 or 4 weeks ago - buying a cover for my MacBook Pro. I asked the person helping me if they had seen an iPad or if they had any particular thoughts / had heard anything from the inside about it. He said "Yep - it's just a much larger version of the iPod Touch".

I felt like slapping him!

That is the exact same response I got from some Apple geeks at Best Buy here. They implied people were dumb to even look at it. Then they gave me the fifth degree as to why I would buy one.

These are the same guys who will be displaying them Sat.

They were more annoyed they would have to change their mac displays around to make the iPad fit. With representatives like that Apple need not worry about selling out Sat.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a kid who used to work at Best Buy - jeez you wouldn't believe the markup on some things. Good example are the monster cables -- His cost on a gold tipped HDMI cable would be about $5 -- Best Buy was selling them for $50.

I think the only people at Best Buy who make commission are the TV people - so the computer geeks couldn't care less. I would be they're all PC Gamers with systems they've build or enhanced themselves. Very few probably have lived the 'Mac' experience.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know what gets to me. All the people out there who keep saying the Ipad is just a giant Ipad touch or Iphone. That's like saying "why buy a laptop? It's just a smaller computer."

Yes it is running the same OS. Why wouldn't it? The OS is specifically designed for touch, why would Apple not use it for a device controlled by touch?

The size matters! It's part of the whole experience. It makes everything easier to do. If you want a pocket device, then buy one. Some people want something with a bigger screen without the weight of a notebook. If you don't want a larger device, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're happy with your Iphone, great! But just because *you* don't want such a device, don't have such a lack of imagination to think there aren't users with different preferences and need.

The chip in the Ipad is far more robust than anything you will get on an Ipod touch, Iphone or other pocket device, or smartphone.

I guess a stool would be a dumb idea too. After all it's just a little chair without the back :D
I agree with what you say about those criticisms that were spread throughout the blogosphere about the iPad and I would like to offer you proof that part of what they say is wrong.

Because the iPad is a new way of doing, Apple did not want it to be stranded without software. They offered us the ability to use iPhone and iPod Touch software. That does absolutely not mean that it's limited in that way. Proof of which is I'm sure that software developped specifically for the iPad may not work on Touch and Iphone with all functions operating.

Second, the iPad is capable of multitasking. The OS software at this time is not ready for it although there is proof of multitasking at this time. Got to the Apple site and watch the newer demos. The iPod feature can run while you use other software. That is proof enough for a reasonable person...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has learned that you cannot put every desired feature into a new product. It would cost too much and be too bulky. Get the essential product on the market, and then see what becomes important. Some things are best corrected without being integral to the product. A camera makes sense in an iPhone or Touch, but not so much for the iPad. Many people will still have cell phones with them that will be easier to take pictures with. (BTW, the next gen iPhone is reported to have two cameras) I would suspect that the camera will become an option, rather than integral to the iPad.

Multi-tasking and Flash are just scare tactics by those trapped in their own limitations. I remember when Apple discontinued the floppy drives. The wailing that went on was tremendous. The number of add-on drives was scary How many floppy drives are around today? Flash is being retired because Apple said no to it. Eventually it would be replaced anyway, but now the web designers can say to customers, "Hey, you have XXXX million iPhones, XXXX million iPod Touch, and XXX million iPads that do not support Flash. We need to update to HTML5 and get a jump on the competition". Apple is doing all of us a favor by putting nails in the Flash coffin. As for multi-tasking, you can do mail and music in the background. For a portable device, there has to be some limits on what is being done in the background. As a huge multi-tasker, it can get fustrating at times, but I also think that it will not be too long before some additional m-t will be allowed.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And here upgrading from a 32" flat screen TV to a 50" flat screen TV I thought I was getting something better. I mean if the 50" is just a larger version of the 32" why would anyone want to upgrade?

OH... I remember... size matters!

I agree with those that say "calling it a larger iPod Touch is a compliment"! There are so many things that the iPod Touch is capable of (that I have or do use it for) that is just awesome other than the fact it is so hard to see and sometimes navigate on that tiny little screen. Now blow that thing up to a size to where I can read on it, more easily navigate on it using my finger, better (more user friendly) UIs because of the screen real-estate, etc... etc... etc... and now the experience is just that much better.

Of course I can watch the same movie on my 32" TV... but the viewing experience is just that much better on my 50"!

OP
J

Jaseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same rocket scientists will be scratching their heads when they get pink slips from Best Buy due to decreased sales volume.

Most reactions

Latest posts