What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text-wrap in browser?

thelazydogsback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok - how do I increase font size and get text to wrap in the browser?
Pinch-to-zoom is nifty and all, but zooming is not the same as changing the font size for reading -- I certainly don't want to do 4-way scrolling to read every web page. Am I missing something here too?
thanks

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't about Safari. But if you can download (for 1$) the Atomic browser, you can increase font size on the fly.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the typical 3 column web site, if you double tap on the column you want to read, it will zoom to full screen, just be careful not to tap on a link. You can also go into Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom turn it on. Double tap with 3 fingers to enlarge things, double tap and hold, then slide your fingers up to enlarge or down to make smaller. Not the same as larger text and doesn't work on all sites. Also, I have notice that a lot of sites will allow you to enlarge the text right on their page. It's the three sizes of the letter A, just tap the large A, and it will make the text larger.

OP
T

thelazydogsback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks -- the Atomic browser helps a bit. It still seperates image-style zooming from font size changes (as Hedonist mentions) - but I can live with that. Larger fonts do render incorrectly when wrapped and mixed with links like the google news home page, but on simple pages (google reader articles) the larger font works well enuf...

sbp1980

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did anyone find a solution to the text-wrapping problem? Atomic is not great -- you can enlarge the font but it really doesn't reformat or "reflow" the way that my Galaxy phone does it. When I pinch to zoom in on a web page or other reading app, I'd like to have the text re-wrap so that the words fit in the window. WHY don't ANY of the iPad browsers or apps seem to build in this capability?

Reaction score
Have you tried Perfect Browser? I've changed the fonts on mine to " old eyes" size ;) and it renders fine without scrolling

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WHY don't ANY of the iPad browsers or apps seem to build in this capability?

That's a good question.

The lack of word wrap always annoyed me a lot when I had an ipod touch.

Then, I got a DroidX which wraps just fine & never used the touch again (ended up giving it to my 10 year old daughter)

~John

rapurdy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone found the solution to this problem: enlarging the fonts in the iPad IOS and yet letting them wrap like on the Android? Like others, I'm aware of Zoom and the ability to enlarge the fonts but they don't wrap. To find a solution that would allow them to wrap would greatly enhance accessibility for reading on the web.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the advent of iOS 5, Safari has now been revamped to allow for a way to read text easier on a web page. When you load a page in Safari (and after it's fully finished loading), look to the far right of the URL address bar. You should see a dark gray button titled "Reader."

Press that gray button and you should get a pop up that is text only (all the ads and stuff on the sides of the original web site is stripped away). In the upper left part of this pop-up is the standard "AA" button and pressing that will allow you to adjust the text font, from teeny to HUGE! When you are done reading, just tap outside that pop-up and you will be taken to the regular web site.

I like this option mostly because it will automatically load all the web pages in an article - no more pressing "Next" or "single page" in order to read...

While not a regular zoom/text reflow feature, this is pretty convenient in reading web sites. Maybe it'll help you?

Good luck.

Marilyn

rapurdy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help however I have checked on Sfari on my iPad (in which I have the IOS 5 on) as well as the Safari on my PC but can't find the buttons you mentioned. This sounds good however and so I hope that it will appear on my Safari soon.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rapurdy said:
Thank you so much for the help however I have checked on Sfari on my iPad (in which I have the IOS 5 on) as well as the Safari on my PC but can't find the buttons you mentioned. This sounds good however and so I hope that it will appear on my Safari soon.

I'm on the latest version of iOS and this is what I get, try going to the site in the image and see if you get the same?

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-3604207706.png
    image-3604207706.png
    489.1 KB · Views: 402

rapurdy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestion, however I was unable to find the Read button beside the address bar on the iPad in Safari. I did, however find a browser that will actually allow for the text to wrap when getting larger. It is the Mercury browser costing $0.99. I've been working with it for only a few hours but find that it will allow for one to enlarge the text yet wrap when in Read mode. Look for the buttons on the top right corner or if the address bar is not present, on the bottom right. There are several other features to this browser as well.

Reaction score
With the advent of iOS 5, Safari has now been revamped to allow for a way to read text easier on a web page. When you load a page in Safari (and after it's fully finished loading), look to the far right of the URL address bar. You should see a dark gray button titled "Reader."

Press that gray button and you should get a pop up that is text only (all the ads and stuff on the sides of the original web site is stripped away). In the upper left part of this pop-up is the standard "AA" button and pressing that will allow you to adjust the text font, from teeny to HUGE! When you are done reading, just tap outside that pop-up and you will be taken to the regular web site.

I like this option mostly because it will automatically load all the web pages in an article - no more pressing "Next" or "single page" in order to read...

While not a regular zoom/text reflow feature, this is pretty convenient in reading web sites. Maybe it'll help you?

Good luck.

Marilyn
I just updated to ios 5 on my iPod Touch, but do not see the gray box. Is it only available for Safari on iPads, not iPod Touches?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this gray Reader box shows up on my iPhone, also, so I don't think it's only for the iPad.

The only thing I can tell you is that I don't see the box on all web sites. I don't know why, it may be how the web site is displayed. Maybe that's what you are experiencing?

Sorry, but that's all I've got.

Marilyn

Most reactions