What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible Quality Camera in iPad 2, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using my iPhone's inboard camera I was actually quite impressed, but very disappointed upon using the iPad 2's camera. Is this just because I'm viewing the same quality image on a larger screen or is it just a poorer camera?

Killman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can understand the comparisons, but I really do not see how the cameras are so terrible. I think the back one is quite good. :confused:

boyzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the video is quite good......And yet if you catch the right scene you can get a decent pic.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, as already stated discussion of the 'poor quality' of the iPad's cameras is a recurrent topic, so I would support some searching - :)

The iPhone's camera produces 5 MP (megapixel) images which is similar to my older digital Canon camera - the images, esp. if not enlarged a lot are quite good.

However, the back camera of the iPad is less than 1 MP - that is primitive! You'll never obtain a good quality still image nor will you be able to photo-manipulate the images for any substantial improvement.

Best to obtain your images from a good up-to-date digital camera and then bring them into the iPad - again, plenty of threads on the ways this can be done.

OP
J

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, as already stated discussion of the 'poor quality' of the iPad's cameras is a recurrent topic, so I would support some searching - :)

The iPhone's camera produces 5 MP (megapixel) images which is similar to my older digital Canon camera - the images, esp. if not enlarged a lot are quite good.

However, the back camera of the iPad is less than 1 MP - that is primitive! You'll never obtain a good quality still image nor will you be able to photo-manipulate the images for any substantial improvement.

Best to obtain your images from a good up-to-date digital camera and then bring them into the iPad - again, plenty of threads on the ways this can be done.

'Just wonder why Apple would have put a lesser quality camera in the iPad than its iPhone? That don't seem to make sense.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
'Just wonder why Apple would have put a lesser quality camera in the iPad than its iPhone? That don't seem to make sense.

I agree completely - Apple development & management would probably have to answer that question; not sure what the cost differences would be even upping the pixel size to 2-3 MP, which would have been much better! :(

After I purchased the iPad2, I took a picture of a dinner that my wife cooked (to put on a food thread in another forum) - it looked so bad (compared to my usual images from a digital camera) that I apologized for the poor quality - oh well - :)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It does to me.
The iPad is completely the wrong form factor for a serious camera it's simply too big and clunky. All anybody should be doing with an iPad is taking happy snaps which it does reasonably well. If you want to take serious photos get something that is easier to take photos with such as an iPhone or a "real" camera.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone has a better quality camera because it's a pocketable device which can be used to easily taken great photos and could be used as your main camera if needed, whereas the ipad isn't something you are going to take out for a trip and take photos with.

Not only is the camera not such good quality, but it's position and the awkwardness of holding up the iPad up is going to make it much less likely to be used in that way. To me the iPad cameras are for video chat and nothing more. The fact that the rear camera can take reasonable photos under ideal conditions is a bonus :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
if the rear camera record video with HD quality, but takes poor 1MP pics (with the same lens !), the problem must be in software !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts