What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Targus Versavu 3rd Gen iPad Case......

KickerVY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried twisting it both ways but can't get the new magnets that are supposed to be inside to put this thing to sleep. Anybody else had this trouble?

killashot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes,

I have the same problem with a Belkin Pro-color folio case. Can't get the damn thing to sleep or wake up.
But if I stick a fridge magnet about 1/3 ways down the lock unlock button , my ipad does goes to sleep/wake up automatically.
Maybe the magnets in the cases are not strong enough? I hope it's not an ipad problem.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem with Targus Slim Case. I can get it to work if I move the front flap around a little, but it can easily slip out of perfect position and turn the iPad back on. For now I've disable smart cover in settings.

packaok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thebudgetgeek.com
This seems to be a recurring issue with most 3rd party iPad 3rd Generation cases. Prior to purchasing the Versavue from Best Buy last night, I had purchased a case from Invellop on Amazon. The Invellop case has a smart-cover style front and molded plastic rear. The magnets did not hold the smart cover in place, nor did it turn on / off the iPad. I requested a refund and received the following reply:

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to have confirmed that the INVELLOP cases fit "The new iPad" (or iPad 3) properly. As it may have come to your attention, the sleep/awake function sensors have been moved on The new iPad, and as a result most of the third party cases will not activate this function the same as on iPad 2. Apple does not release information to other companies about their newly developed product, therefore neither manufacturers nor distributors were informed of this slight change prior to the release of The new iPad (iPad 3). As a curtesy to our valued customers, who purchased the INVELLOP cases assuming the sleep/awake function will function the same as on the iPad 2, we would like to provide the options:

Option 1 - we will refund $6.00 per each recently purchased case to compensate for the sleep/awake function matter.
Option 2 - customers are welcome to use their case(s) for two weeks, after which we will inform them when the new INVELLOP cases will be produced with correct location of sensors, which will be able to activate the sleep/awake function on both the iPad 2 and The new iPad (iPad 3). Upon receipt of an original case back from our customers, we will send the new INVELLOP case as replacement.
Option 3 - customers are welcome to return their case(s) for a full refund.

I chose Option 3 because I really wasn't pleased with the quality of the case. I purchased the Versavue and I have opened an incident with Targus customer support about the magnets. I love the Versavue and will keep it even if they don't fix the magnet issue. However, my guess is that they will have a fix in place soon and offer a replacement.

OP
K

KickerVY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maleaco said:
Wait so whats the problem? I dont actually comprehend

Just figured it out, but the magnets are misaligned and the sleep function does not work with (from what I hear) a few of the Targus and a couple other brands' new iPad cases. Other than that, the case is great.

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys should check their Twitter @Targus_INC they said that they are aware of the problem. There will probably be some exchange option later.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This seems to be a recurring issue with most 3rd party iPad 3rd Generation cases. Prior to purchasing the Versavue from Best Buy last night, I had purchased a case from Invellop on Amazon. The Invellop case has a smart-cover style front and molded plastic rear. The magnets did not hold the smart cover in place, nor did it turn on / off the iPad. I requested a refund and received the following reply:

I chose Option 3 because I really wasn't pleased with the quality of the case. I purchased the Versavue and I have opened an incident with Targus customer support about the magnets. I love the Versavue and will keep it even if they don't fix the magnet issue. However, my guess is that they will have a fix in place soon and offer a replacement.

Their response is suspicious. If that was the full truth, the original cases would not work on the new iPad.

Shezz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried twisting it both ways but can't get the new magnets that are supposed to be inside to put this thing to sleep. Anybody else had this trouble?

Got this case myself. Checked their web site and it doesn't say it puts the iPad to sleeps although it has a magnet sign on the packaging :(

killashot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems that some of the cases work, some don't. I got one that didn't work initially, went back to the store to get a replacement and it worked. The store owner said that a lot of the 3rd party iPad cases did not work on the new ipad, not just Targus/Belkin cases.

Anyway, are the auto/sleep wake covers supposed to "snap" on tightly to the ipad? Although my cover works now with the auto wake/sleep function, it doesn't stick on tightly.

demiller66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought one and have the same problem. The case does not put the iPad to sleep or wake. It also doesn't stay closed.

enqueue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a Targus Versavu for ipad 3rd generation and it was not deep enough at the top to allow the ipad to completely lock in and the magnetic on/off feature did not work. The failure to fully lock in is very easy to see on a black ipad, it is not obvious on a white model.
I contacted their tech support and made a warranty claim. (The magnet will not turn turn on/off the third gen ipad and the ipad will not fully lock in) Here is the response with names removed:

"Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.
If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Thanks for contacting Targus Customer Support. I apologize for any inconvenience that you may be experiencing.

Unfortunately we have identified an issue with the magnetic on/off feature that affects some of the Targus Cases for iPad 3rd generation.

We are very sorry that you’re experiencing this issue - we want you to be pleased with your purchase. We will be happy to send you a tested, replacement case, however, as we are still evaluating the issue, it may take up to 6 to 8 weeks to get you a replacement product. There is no need to return your case to us.

We would need some additional information to set this up for you.

1. Contact phone #
2. Copy of your receipt. You can attach this to this email thread.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Thanks,
Targus Customer Support"

Most reactions

Latest posts