What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing issues with severwl iPads sharing itunes library

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have just about every apple product in our studios, I have been syncing 4 devices since the iPad 2 came, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones and everything basically went smooth, just a few folders where not synced properly at first between the iPad 1 & 2., today I noticed iTunes only saves my last synced time, everything else I previously synced is gone, I even had the box checked to prevent the iPad from automatically syncing yet it syncs whatever I connect regardless and replaces my last synced backup with the one I would connect, not cool, anyone know what I can do to fix this,

P.S.nmy iPads are not jail broken

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes only keeps one backup per device. When you have a device connected it will only show you the last backup for that device. The only time you see more than one backup is when you initialize a device for the first time, or restore it. Then you will see all the backups, one for each device you sync.

The only way to have multiple backups of a device is to backup the backup files.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
iTunes only keeps one backup per device. When you have a device connected it will only show you the last backup for that device. The only time you see more than one backup is when you initialize a device for the first time, or restore it. Then you will see all the backups, one for each device you sync.

The only way to have multiple backups of a device is to backup the backup files.[/QUOTE

Thanks

Strange because i had over 5 back ups and was syncing 2 iPads to the same iTunes library until yesterday

I was saving back ups fine and using one iPad as a master to restore to a second one, all the sudden yesterday I connect the second one and notice instead of been able to restore to it from a back up I get a au to sync and erase over the previous iPad.

Ok so how do you save the back ups?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you could copy the files to new location, puttong them back when you need them, or maybe just renaming them would keep iTunes from overwriting them. Got to the following link and expand the About Syncing and Backups section to see where the files are stored.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Well, you could copy the files to new location, puttong them back when you need them, or maybe just renaming them would keep iTunes from overwriting them. Got to the following link and expand the About Syncing and Backups section to see where the files are stored.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

Thanks, in do have to look into jail breaking because it seems so complicated to work around this, I asked on another forum and to my surprise people where or are not aware that while to can shut automatic sync off iTunes still makes new back up if you happened to of purchased a new app, once you start syncing an app it over writes the back up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, there is not way (that I know of) to stop iTunes from backing up when you sync.

BTW, I forgot to mention that you can see all your device backups by going to iTunes Preferences and choosing the Devices tab. The only management feature is to delete unwanted ones, but at least you can see them all.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yeah, there is not way (that I know of) to stop iTunes from backing up when you sync.

BTW, I forgot to mention that you can see all your device backups by going to iTunes Preferences and choosing the Devices tab. The only management feature is to delete unwanted ones, but at least you can see them all.

I found out why my iPad back ups changed, I re initialized the older iPad with out realizing I had not put back the name, now I change the names of the iPads and see both back ups, weird but it works, thanks for all the help, I'm still learning..

Most reactions

Latest posts