What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing iPad contacts with GMail contacts

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have no contacts in my GMail Contacts. All of my contacts are in my iPad Contacts. If I sync my iPad with Gmail Contacts, will my iPad contacts get added to GMail or will my iPad contacts reflect what is in my GMail contacts (which is nothing).

In other words, will I lose all of my iPad contacts if I sync with GMail that doesn't have any contacts.

Thanks,

Todd

OP
tap50

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resolved

I decided to just try it and see what happens. When your turn ON the option to sync Contacts, the iPad prompts you as to whether you want to keep your local iPad contacts or delete them. I chose to keep them. However, it seems that the sync is only one way (from Gmail to iPad) because my Gmail Contacts is still empty.

Todd

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have mine synced and if I add a contact to my iPad it goes to my gmail and vice verse.

Are you using exchange?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Using the Exchange Method was probably the best tip I have seen yet for the iPad. I saw the tip here, I just don't remember the thread. I keep my calendar, mail and contacts set for the all my devices now. using the Exchange method, you can set up Outlook the same as well, which means it translates to my BB too.

I do not know if you can force the iPad to update gmail - exchange wanted me to delete my contacts on the ipad - but not having contacts in the iPad and only on gmail, it was not an issue.

You could see if you could export them out and import into gmail.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
tap50

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GMail

Yes, I'm using Exchange for GMail, Calendar, and Contacts...maybe I didn't give it enough time to sync.

Todd

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, gentlefury. I have not noticed any issues yet with the mail through exchange as google. I will keep my eye out.

Well using the gmail pop setting it would download 200 messages at a time....with exchange it would only populate the latest messages...and if one was read it would start deleting them from my iPad, it was very frustrating and annoying...I realized it was because of exchange...not the iPad.

OP
tap50

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Working

Ok, it seems to be working properly. It's just not syncing the contacts I already had on my iPad. If I add a new contact to either Gmail or my iPad then it does sync the new ones.

Todd

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem re. syncing existing contacts - ended up doing a workaround by syncing to Windows Address Book, extracting to CSV and uploading into Gmail from there.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem re. syncing existing contacts - ended up doing a workaround by syncing to Windows Address Book, extracting to CSV and uploading into Gmail from there.

But that means everytime you add a new contact you have to do that again. If you set it up properly you can add a contact to any device and it will be on all of them.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After it's been synced it correctly, any new contact info entered into the iPad will automatically get pushed to Google contacts and vice versa. It was the already-existing (pre-sync) contacts which would not, for whatever reason, sync into Google, so I used the workaround as a one-off to get Google contacts populated correctly.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After it's been synced it correctly, any new contact info entered into the iPad will automatically get pushed to Google contacts and vice versa. It was the already-existing (pre-sync) contacts which would not, for whatever reason, sync into Google, so I used the workaround as a one-off to get Google contacts populated correctly.

Ah, well thats good that it worked.

sh0nuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although all my devices (Androids, BB's, an iPhone and an iPad) are all synced to my gmail through exchange, and everything updates the cloud EXCEPT the iPad. I added a contact to my address book (yes, after the exchange sync.. I always add an exchange full sync prior to doing anything else) and it didn't push the changes to my Gmail.

No clue why. *sigh*

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although all my devices (Androids, BB's, an iPhone and an iPad) are all synced to my gmail through exchange, and everything updates the cloud EXCEPT the iPad. I added a contact to my address book (yes, after the exchange sync.. I always add an exchange full sync prior to doing anything else) and it didn't push the changes to my Gmail.

No clue why. *sigh*

That is a new flaw in 4.2.1....My iPad used to sync both ways...if I added a contact to it it would immediately sync to my phone and gmail....now it does nothing. I have it setup...but it no longer works...I don't know if this is an Apple screw up or Google...but one of them dropped the ball.

Most reactions

Latest posts