What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

switching carriers ipad 3

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I returned my Ipad3 WiFi to get another Ipad3 with cellular, I have read that the Ipad is not locked to one carrier and can be switched. What I need to know is this true? The two carriers in question are AT&T and Verzion, If I buy an Ipad3 with AT&T and dont like the coverage can I switch to Verzion or Verzion to AT&T?

I have searched the subject but dont have a clear answer. I have also read you cna go from Verzion to AT&T but not AT&T to Verzion.

Please set me straight

Thank you

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MB50 said:
OK I returned my Ipad3 WiFi to get another Ipad3 with cellular, I have read that the Ipad is not locked to one carrier and can be switched. What I need to know is this true? The two carriers in question are AT&T and Verzion, If I buy an Ipad3 with AT&T and dont like the coverage can I switch to Verzion or Verzion to AT&T?

I have searched the subject but dont have a clear answer. I have also read you cna go from Verzion to AT&T but not AT&T to Verzion.

Please set me straight

Thank you

In the USA there are only two cellular data branded iPads: the AT&T or Verizon version. I think you have fourteen days to return an iPad back to the Apple store if you don't like either one. I don't have a Verizon iPad, but the data plan for AT&T is 250 mg of data for thirty days. I have not ever run out of data since activating 3G service for my original iPad and the same goes for the new iPad 4G version. Since I have not had experience with Verizon, I am only giving you AT&T.

Hopefully someone using a Verizon based iPad will chime in.

I have not heard that an AT&T iPad can be used on a Verizon network. I read about this happening for an iPhone.

OP
M

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anybody else confirm once on at&t or verzion always on that carrier, or is there a way to switch carriers from one to the other?? I called Apple and was told you can ask the carrier to unlock the ipad to be able to switch carriers, please anybody know the facts???:confused:
Thanks

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MB50 said:
Can anybody else confirm once on at&t or verzion always on that carrier, or is there a way to switch carriers from one to the other?? I called Apple and was told you can ask the carrier to unlock the ipad to be able to switch carriers, please anybody know the facts???:confused:
Thanks

I'm going to step up once again and reply to you. I searched and found this article about switching from Verizon to AT&T on the same iPad 3rd generation. According to this article the Verizon iPad 3rd generation is unlocked. So if you get an AT&T micro SIM card, you can install it on your Verizon branded iPad. However, the article implies that you can not do the reverse with an AT&T branded iPad. But then again, you may want to do as Apple support advised you, contact AT&T and ask them to unlock their iPad so you can make the switch the other way.

Here is a screen shot of the article.

Attachments

• image-477873777.jpg
    image-477873777.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Most reactions