What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survivor or Defender

bluearo29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm debating on wich case to get for my iPad 2? I dig the dust protection of the survivor, but I like the accessibility o the 30 pin connector of the defender. Any enlightenment would be great!

Last edited:

Belodis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the survivor but took it back to best buy. The cover for the camera and speaker would not stay open unless I held it with my finger. The one that covered the charging port was really tough to open but that's how they made it. I was afraid of tearing it off just trying to get it open. It just wasn't for me but they seem like they will do all that the say they will.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the OtterBox Defender and sold it on craigslist and got the Griffin Survivor and I like it a lot better. With the defender when you had the front cover on all 4 corners of the screen were still exposed. With the Survivor there is a plastic film that is part of the case which covers the entire screen, given if something falls on it or I drop it the screen will still be able to break. I prefer the Survivor because the entire iPad is covered to protect it from elements or spilled drink, the Defender doesn't.

churpi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got survivor fitted on my iPad. The mil grade cover gives a sense of security. The touch sensitivity is good. In fact I would term it close to regular keyboard kind of positive tap touch. The flaps fit in snugly but for the top one for the microphone. Not able to figure that one out yet. I would suggest after initial donning of this suite, feel around the cover to ensure that all bumps in the silicon case fit into respective slots in the underneath hard case. It would take a while. I am not sure about the rain protection but it does give you the confidence of withstanding a accidental spillage initially. As for the charging connector flap, I have not faced a problem. I some how am more confident handling this bulky militarised iPad rather than a slim slippery one. As for the stand it is stable on a flat hard surface like a table but on a bed it is not stable and tends to tip over. Some of us felt that a face cover to close would have been good. As for me, as of now I am comfortable. Maybe griffin can think of an add on / clip on like the stand. Overall a worth it buy for all those who are frequent travellers to not so comfortable environs. I guess I would confident of chucking my iPad confidently into a backpack with this cover till the time there are no sharp & hard metal objects along side. To protect the screen cover from scratches I would recommend an additional soft pouch or a net book pouch.

Last edited:

Kursac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a little girl that works for me who breaks everything she touches, 3 smashed android phons in less than 1 year. A smashed netbook screen after 6 months. I recently bought my iPad 2 and saw the survivor case and immediately thought of her. I told her about & said she needed one for everything she owned. Yesterday I picked up her new iPad for her and bought her the survivor case as a gift as it is clearly a requirement for her. They recommended the insurance to me & that the case was overkill. My responded was this is not something that might happen but will happen over & over, not breaking it in the 1st place is the goal, replacing it after the fact is secondary.

Most reactions