What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus pens

AledJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been told by a friend that cheap stylus pens can scratch the screen, but I have never heard of this. Is there any truth to it?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure anything is possible if the rubber tip doesn't fit properly and the metal hits the screen wrong.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im quite fond of using a stylus and have been using one for the past year and a half with no issues. Personally, I'm partial to Targus and I would never recommend buying the super cheapies because I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im quite fond of using a stylus and have been using one for the past year and a half with no issues.

I posed this question to the customer service guy of Adonit Jot Pro that what is the gurantee that since you dont have a rubber tip your stylys pen will not scratch the iPad screen. And he said well, if you think the one with the rubber tip does not scratch the iPad screen !! You are livinng with a delusion !! He went on to say did u confirm this by examining your iPad screen under a microscope. He said potentially any stylus pen is likely to scratch your screen if u dont have a screen guard. He said you should first examine your screen under a microscopic lens and then be confident about other stylus pens.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I posed this question to the customer service guy of Adonit Jot Pro that what is the gurantee that since you dont have a rubber tip your stylys pen will not scratch the iPad screen. And he said well, if you think the one with the rubber tip does not scratch the iPad screen !! You are livinng with a delusion !! He went on to say did u confirm this by examining your iPad screen under a microscope. He said potentially any stylus pen is likely to scratch your screen if u dont have a screen guard. He said you should first examine your screen under a microscopic lens and then be confident about other stylus pens.

That's nonsense what the guy told you, my friend. Now, lets say that you got some sand on your screen and started moving a rubber tipped stylus over your screen while the sand is there. The grains of sand being harder than your screen could result in scratches. I stay away from beaches and I keep dirt off my screens. None of them have every been scratched, and I have a lot of screens!

OP
A

AledJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be getting a screen protector just not sure to put it on so air spots arise, and then how do you position it correctly. As for the stylus pen I'll stay away from the cheaply ones.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been told by a friend that cheap stylus pens can scratch the screen, but I have never heard of this. Is there any truth to it?

I have a Targus and five cheap ones. I have never seen scratches caused by them on my Ipad screen. Perhaps your friend bought the stylus ballpoint pen in one and mistaken the ballpoint pen part as the stylus.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Targus and five cheap ones. I have never seen scratches caused by them on my Ipad screen. Perhaps your friend bought the stylus ballpoint pen in one and mistaken the ballpoint pen part as the stylus.

Oh that could certainly be a possibility using the wrong end by mistake, could totally see that!

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The life of the iPad is say 2 years before you will want to upgrade and pass on, I did this with original iPad , sold it with no scratches on the screen and I only use a stylus, fingers in my opinion are rougher than a stylus nib, and carry more dirt.
Oh and I never use screen protectors and I have had touch devices since my palm computing days.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's nonsense what the guy told you, my friend. Now, lets say that you got some sand on your screen and started moving a rubber tipped stylus over your screen while the sand is there. The grains of sand being harder than your screen could result in scratches. I stay away from beaches and I keep dirt off my screens. None of them have every been scratched, and I have a lot of screens!

Yeah I mean you are considering two possibilities one having a sand on your screen and the other a possibility of writing over that sand particle with the stylus. But here we are talking about just what if the screen is clean and still you are trying to write with a stylus. In the first scenario it will scratch the screen, even I dont have any doubt about that. But here we are talking about a specific scenario of not having anything else on the screen and trying to write with a stylus on the screen and if it will scratch !

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The life of the iPad is say 2 years before you will want to upgrade and pass on, I did this with original iPad , sold it with no scratches on the screen and I only use a stylus, fingers in my opinion are rougher than a stylus nib, and carry more dirt.
Oh and I never use screen protectors and I have had touch devices since my palm computing days.

Yep That say a lot ! :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AledJ said:
I will be getting a screen protector just not sure to put it on so air spots arise, and then how do you position it correctly. As for the stylus pen I'll stay away from the cheaply ones.

Go to a room where there is no breeze or open windows and clean your screen with a soft cloth first. I will position it on the screen first to see the space that will be around it without removing the backing, but they do fit quite snuggly. I start at one end peel back the backing a little, stick it on and use a credit card to skim it and work your way down the screen. I've put on 2 so far, perfect each time but then I've had a lot of practice covering school books with contact. Some businesses will offer this as a service also. Good luck!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also thought about getting a stylus. What bugs me is the odds that the pad and the stylus seldom get to the same location together after the honeymoon.

So what's your solution to the situation? I'm using Belkin's smart cover with no locker for the stylus... How do you make sure you have it when you need it? Apart from buying a dozen styluses in the first place. :D

ManicDreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
theTimo said:
I've also thought about getting a stylus. What bugs me is the odds that the pad and the stylus seldom get to the same location together after the honeymoon.

So what's your solution to the situation? I'm using Belkin's smart cover with no locker for the stylus... How do you make sure you have it when you need it? Apart from buying a dozen styluses in the first place. :D

The Adonit Jot Pro is magnetic, so will cling a little to your iPad (assuming it is not inside a large padded case). It does cling to the iPad Smart Cover. This is handy if you need to put it down for a while, I also find that when I drop the stylus in my bag with the iPad, it seems to find it and they come out stuck together!

I also have a stylus, which was by Belkin I believe, which comes with an attachment on the top that fits into the headphone hole on the top of the iPad. Can be annoying as it swings about, but it has never come out of the hole when dropped into my bag.

--------------- Go Team GB ---------------

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have 2 stylus pens, one travels with me the other one lives at my home business / office

Most reactions

Latest posts