What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Question? Is screen burn in a concern?

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that IPS panels and even cell phones can still experience screen burn-in if a static image is left up for prolonged periods of time.

So as dumb as this may sound, is there a concern with this on the ipad if, say, I am using an app like Dock Clock or similar while the ipad is docked and charged/charging?

I tried a search and got nothing so I assume maybe a) yeppers, dumb question b) no worries. However, rather get some other opinions before I relax.

Thanks.

Zardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen burn in can happen but you would need it on the same screen for a long time ( hours ). It is slim that you will get it on. The iPad.

Erskine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. There's no quick and easy answer. It depends on more factors. One suggestion I have for you is to change the color of the black areas/bars to gray. That will reduce a lot the chances of burn-in.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen burn in can happen but you would need it on the same screen for a long time ( hours ). It is slim that you will get it on. The iPad.

Actually for an led backlit LCD panel it would probably take more like years. CRTs and cheap lcds burn in....no need to worry here.

conzyor34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely

Absolutely the iPad screen burns in. My iPad is less than 6 months old, and I primarily use it for safari. The address bar and the word "google" are now visible, burned into the screen, when I am running other applications that have a dark color scheme, such as the Twitter app.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad will be thoroughly obsolete long before the screen becomes an issue. In contrast, you’re much more likely to drop and smash the screen on most any day of the week.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
conzyor34 said:
Absolutely the iPad screen burns in. My iPad is less than 6 months old, and I primarily use it for safari. The address bar and the word "google" are now visible, burned into the screen, when I am running other applications that have a dark color scheme, such as the Twitter app.

I'm really surprised to hear this! Did you leave the Autolock on "Never" for an extended period on the Google homepage?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I would like to see a picture of this....

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
conzyor34 said:

picture proof, please.

MGLeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
conzyor34 said:

picture proof, please.

I can try to verify his/her claim. My iPad is a little more than a year old, and I've had screen burn issues with Safari for the past couple of months. The only thing that's burned once you leave the Safari app is the address bar, with the most dominating thing being the Bing (or Google if you use that) search part of the bar. All it takes is a few minutes browsing in Safari, and it's vaguely there for 15ish seconds after leaving Safari. Picture proof is near impossible, it's ridiculous to request that because screen burn doesn't show up in screenshots and good luck trying to legitimately capture it with a camera.

It should be noted that this is not a massive issue, it's only a problem with Safari, and it's not like the screen burn sticks around for days. But it is there, at least for me. I came across this thread by searching for "iPad burn" in Bing to see if anyone else is having this issue, and I'm not of your "pics or it didn't happen" attitude. There's a sense of obligation to say that. It's bad Internet etiquette. :-/

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MGLeet said:
I can try to verify his/her claim. My iPad is a little more than a year old, and I've had screen burn issues with Safari for the past couple of months. The only thing that's burned once you leave the Safari app is the address bar, with the most dominating thing being the Bing (or Google if you use that) search part of the bar. All it takes is a few minutes browsing in Safari, and it's vaguely there for 15ish seconds after leaving Safari. Picture proof is near impossible, it's ridiculous to request that because screen burn doesn't show up in screenshots and good luck trying to legitimately capture it with a camera.

It should be noted that this is not a massive issue, it's only a problem with Safari, and it's not like the screen burn sticks around for days. But it is there, at least for me. I came across this thread by searching for "iPad burn" in Bing to see if anyone else is having this issue, and I'm not of your "pics or it didn't happen" attitude. There's a sense of obligation to say that. It's bad Internet etiquette. :-/

=====================

How do you know it can't be captured with a camera? If you can see it, you can likely get a photo with a camera. It a copout to not even try but claim it is ridiculous to ask for a photo.

Most reactions

Latest posts