What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling with OS upgrade

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bear with me if I'm being stupid but I only got my iPad 5 days ago...

I have spent all evening trying to upgrade to OS 4.3 and failing. I go into iTunes and it gives me a little message saying I haven't transferred my purchases, so I sync the iPad. Then I start downloading the update which takes about 20 minutes. Then I get a message saying the operation timed out, so I start again....

After 5 attempts I gave up. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Ps I can't work out how to do a backup either, please could someone explain?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to backup.
In the iTunes menu right/control click on the iPad on the sidebar then select make backup. I can't help you with your other problems, sorry.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bear with me if I'm being stupid but I only got my iPad 5 days ago...

I have spent all evening trying to upgrade to OS 4.3 and failing. I go into iTunes and it gives me a little message saying I haven't transferred my purchases, so I sync the iPad. Then I start downloading the update which takes about 20 minutes. Then I get a message saying the operation timed out, so I start again....

After 5 attempts I gave up. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Ps I can't work out how to do a backup either, please could someone explain?

OK - I see you’re in the UK, so unless you’re a complete iPad geek like me, you should be fast asleep.. (I’m reading the iPad 2 User Manual - just released).

I have some ideas but I suspect our US cousins (sorry!) will have far better ideas than I have - so I’ll wait until tomorrow am... and.... by the way

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The timeouts sound like maybe Apple's servers are being overloaded. You might just have to try again later. On my connection it took a bit less than an hour to download. Your connection is probably faster, but 20 minutes sounds way too fast to be complete.

If I were you I'd just choose the download option until it's works. Then you can do the actual iPad update later when convenient. In the mean time it won't keep you from using the iPad.

You were already told how to do a backup.

The transfer purchases thing is also a good idea. With the iPad connected to iTunes, go to the Files menu and choose Transfer Purchases from iPad ... This will move any music, movies, books, or apps that you have on the iPad (but not in iTunes) to iTunes. That way if something bad happens you'll be able to get them back.

The backup only saves the documents of your apps, settings, and a few other things. Also good to have, but it won't restore lost music or movies.

Davidmacpherson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am having same problems in UK - being timed out ALL the time!

Don't recall having this problem when upgrading to 4.2 - just have to keep trying...

David

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
20 minutes sounds about right to me from memory.

I upgraded a couple of days back as soon as the new version was available however, I would think that the gazillion or so iPad users are now trying to catch up. Give it a while then try again.

Not sure about the backup, I just synced (all my apps, books, etc are visable on my macbook) everything then installed......went like a dream but what do I know!

Good luck

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to try again today and use my desktop instead of my laptop because I think it might be quicker if I don't use the wireless network. Maybe there were just a lot of people upgrading yesterday. I seem to remember I had similar problems when the iPhone updated to OS 4

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quicksilver71 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to try again today and use my desktop instead of my laptop because I think it might be quicker if I don't use the wireless network. Maybe there were just a lot of people upgrading yesterday. I seem to remember I had similar problems when the iPhone updated to OS 4

Not sure where you are but might just be worth trying when the USA is tucked up in bed and fast asleep.

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If iTunes is being stupid, why not download the update elsewhere, hit up google with "iPod firmware" and if your feeling lucky you'll find what your need

Updating with your new firmware file is as easy as shift(or some mod key, also try alt) clicking iTunes update button and navigating to the download

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have finally done it, thanks everyone. I can't notice any differences though lol.

limey-g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why so long

Living rural in Canada on wireless broadband it took 3 yes 3 hrs to update itself.
Had no problem and i know that my connection here on the farm is not lightning quick like you city boys.
Heck i can update my Imac in no time at all.
Wake up Apple there has to be a better way.
Geoff

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in the UK and just updated my iPad last night first time. I, like yourself, just bought one last week (found out later version 2 was immanent, just my luck.) it only took 15/20 minutes with a 10Mb connection using Virgin Broadband.

I always upgrade with my desktop PC wired connection as Wi-Fi can be flakey depending on connection strength, I wouldn't trust it with important updates like firmware and if the laptop wireless card is draft b/g your connection speed to the router is at best half that of a wired connection.

As for the 4.3 update the only good change made is the mute switch can be used to lock screen orientation, handier than double tapping the home button all the time. I would liked to have had the 4 and 5 finger touch functionality added, maybe the next update will include it, who knows.

Last edited:

Parascience

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here in rural Wales (UK) update took about an hour (slow broadband). Promptly followed by iPad crashing ! Restore & back-up quickly fixed that issue but apart from the screen rotation lock switch can't see any benefit from an hour of my time. The OS 4.3 upgrade on my iPod touch however was faultless - although again no significant improvement ?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had also two problems:
- I got several error messages during updating requiring several attempts.
- iTunes lost all of my content and I had to take a backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts