What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streaming Radio Stations

IreneC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have managed to stream and listen to a radio station, but cannot turn the radio station off without shutting down the iPad completely.
Any clues please?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

What app are you using to stream the radio stations?

The one I use the most is called PocketTunes and some of the stations can be played in the background using the QuickTime player built into the Safari browser. The really nice thing about this is that you can open other apps while your radio station plays. (And all this is possible right now with iOS 3.2.2)

If this is what is happening in your case, you have to open the Safari app and press the icon that looks like two overlapping screens --

ipad17.jpg

This will bring up all the open Safari pages. From here, select the one that is playing your radio station and click the "X" in the upper left corner to close the app and that will shut off the radio station --

ipad43.jpg

Clear as mud, eh?

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An I have encountered since installing the new OS: I use the NPR program a lot, and the audio now quits after about 20 or 30 minutes. I get an error message that says it cannot connect to the Internet and that I should turn the WiFi antenna on. If I click OK on the message, the audio comes right back. This never was a problem before installing the new operating system. I've even tried setting the iPad right on the same desk as the WiFi router, so it's not a signal issue, and the router appears to be operating okay for other applications. Anyone have any suggestions?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some streaming apps like Pandora and Last.fm have settings that allow you to disable the auto-lock feature or force the screen to stay on. It used to be with the old iOS operating system, the iPad would "go to sleep" after 30 minutes if inactivity and it would shut off the WiFi, presumably to conserve the battery, but this was (supposedly?) fixed with iOS 4.2.1. I have not tested this with streaming audio apps (like NPR) that do not offer that feature since I mostly listen to streaming radio stations with the PocketTunes that does offer that feature.

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some streaming apps like Pandora and Last.fm have settings that allow you to disable the auto-lock feature or force the screen to stay on. It used to be with the old iOS operating system, the iPad would "go to sleep" after 30 minutes if inactivity and it would shut off the WiFi, presumably to conserve the battery, but this was (supposedly?) fixed with iOS 4.2.1. I have not tested this with streaming audio apps (like NPR) that do not offer that feature since I mostly listen to streaming radio stations with the PocketTunes that does offer that feature.

All I know is that the "Public Radio" program would play until the battery got too low under the previous OS. Now I keep getting the error message asserting that I am not connected to the Internet. I'll check the settings. Again. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts