What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Jobs Announces iPad 2!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_official.JPG

Well the moment has finally arrived and we’re taking in all the information thick and fast as Apple launches the iPad 2! Great to see Apple CEO Steve Jobs take to the stage to make the big announcement! Many of the details simply confirmed what has been rumoured for many weeks, but there were a couple of surprises thrown in which we’ll get to in a minute.

First, confirmation of what we knew: iPad 2 will have a new A5 chip and a dual core processor. It will have a gyroscope built in, and front and rear video cameras. There will be a white version as well as a black version, which will ship from day one! There will be an HDMI mirrored video output.

Onto some stats: As expected, the iPad 2 will be much thinner than the first iPad, but did we even expect it to be thinner than the iPhone 4? Well it will be: 8.8mm to the iPhone 4’s 9.3mm, to be precise (the first iPad was 13.4mm). It will also be lighter, weighing 1.3 pounds as opposed to 1.5 pounds. It will have the same battery life, and cost exactly the same price, despite all the extras.

And the release date? March 11 in the US, and March 25 in 26 more countries!

Stay tuned for all the latest updates from the launch!

Source: Live from Apple's iPad 2 event -- Engadget

Last edited:

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it looks like a worthy piece of equipment. I'm glad they stayed at the same price point. Time to sell the 32gb 3G?

Soupmeister

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually like this release. Just enough to justify version 2. The 2 cameras are great
I'm going to stick with the iPad. Cameras on something this big don't appeal to me and with no better resolution don't see the benefit. IOS4.3 with WiFi hotspot for iPhone is awesome so now we can tether with out getting a new iPad.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure am glad I waited! That front facing camera is going to come in extremely handy. With the iPad 1, videoconferencing was just about the only thing that would have had me completely shackled to my desktop. It'll be nice to be able to do it on the road without having to carry this laptop with me.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great stuff, and I am impressed that the prices are same as the iPad 1 , despite advances like cameras and better processor. This ipad2 is going to be a great success

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Good karma said:
Great stuff, and I am impressed that the prices are same as the iPad 1 , despite advances like cameras and better processor. This ipad2 is going to be a great success

Will you join the rest of us andbuy one? ;)

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks great.
What you guys and gals buying wifi only or wifi 3G?

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm partial to black but leaning toward the white and definitely 3G with Verizon because they have better coverage in the places I go than ATT.

Most reactions