What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spelling suggestions

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Plenty of apps will underline words not recognised, which is helpful, but is there any way of adding words to the dictionary, such as names etc?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have autocorrect on, and you override the correction a few times, it gets added to the dictionary, as far as misspellings go.

For names, if the name is in your Contacts you will not get spelling correction for it. You can use this trick for other words as well, if you don't mind have some strange entries in your Contacts.

Another thing that 'might' help is to add more dictionaries to the system dictionary. When you select a word and choose Define, there is a Mange option in the dictionary dialog. Downloading all three of the available English dictionaries should reduce the number of spell corrections, at least for things like color and colour. Or maybe not. I'm not certain the spelling dictionary and the system dictionary are the same, combined, or entirely separate.

There is no way, that I know of, to directly add words to the spelling dictionary. At least not on a stock iPad. I believe there was one for jailbreaking, but I don't know if that tweak is available for iOS 7 yet.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may add:

I've added a lot of "stuff" to my Contacts (names, jail break terms, etc). I find it to be the easiest way to handle the odd spelling or two.

The easiest way to do it is to create one contact name in the Contacts app (I use ZZZ as the last name). Then, add whatever words you wish in either the first name field or in the company field (just be sure to leave a space between each word). I've got over 30 entires in those two fields and keep adding to it - to no adverse affect.

And, making it with just the one last name means you only have one weird-looking entry in your main contact list... :)

Marilyn

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though you cannot add words to the dictionary, adding them as shortcuts will also fix this problem. Add the Phrase, but no optional Shortcut and your device will recognize the words

OP
Gtatler

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for help. It seems to me the spell checker is pretty useless. It's the only one I have come across in many years of computing which works (or does not work) in this fashion.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it useless: Less customizable, and therefore less useful, but that isn't the same as useless.

I leave it on because I'm a terrible speller, and lousy typist. The correct hits far outnumber the false hits for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts