What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound GONE!!

LisaRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When using ear buds, there no longer is any sound. When I unplug the buds the sound is fine. I have tried 2 different sets of buds, to no avail! Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did they use to work, and just recently stop? If so then I'm afraid you may have a faulty ear phone jack or other internal fault. I'm not aware of any settings that effect this (I could be wrong, someone correct me if so).

Long shot, if you've never tried using earbuds before on the iPad, sometimes you have to push a little extra hard (nice grammar), to get them to "click" in (although that usually results in you wearing the buds but everyone still hearing the speaker :) )

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that the sound volume is separate for the external speakers and the ear buds.

As in, you could have the volume turned all the way down on the ear buds (yet still be turned up high on external).

Have you tried turning up the volume when you have the ear buds plugged in?

If that doesn't help, I've got nothing else, sorry.

Marilyn

OP
L

LisaRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey, yes I tried both ways, thank you tho. Jeeper, if that's the issue, is it fixable?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another fix - try a power-off, power-on reset - i.e. don't just put the iPad to sleep, but completely turn it off.

Have you tried other audio apps too?

Tim

OP
L

LisaRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did that and it did work, at least for now. Yes the same issue with all of them. Thank you for your help!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's strange because we've had very few/no reports of faulty iPad headphone sockets. There have been problems with the earpieces, problems with the volume control, a need for a reset, problems with the mute button (you did check this?), but no faulty sockets. If none of these work, I can only suggest - as have others - a visit to the Apple Store.

Tim

Most reactions