What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soon, No More GMail via Exchange Setup.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Google will soon be shutting down ActiveSync for GMail. You may know this as setting up your GMail as an Exchange account. Email and Calendars {multiple calendar setup} will be synced via the default (IMAP) GMail setup. To get your Contacts you will need to use the new CardDAV servers.

Google Sync was designed to allow access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® protocol. With the recent launch of CardDAV, Google now offers similar access via IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV, making it possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols. Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement. -- Official Google Blog: Winter cleaning

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old setups will continue to work for some time. This is mostly about not giving 'set it up as Exchange) advice anymore. At least to me.

I don't know if you'd be able to set it up again if you delete your account from the device, for whatever reason; so that may have an impact as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

IgorOV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys, this thing has started.
Can not set it up using EXCHANGE.

Does anyone know how to get it working using PUSH now? (please do not say: using Gmail app, I dont want that, I prefer using MAIL client)

Also, I dont care about calendar and contacts, I just need the emails and the push notification working.

Thanks

Igor

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I use gmail. Is this something that will affect my receiving and sending messages.

Thanks, bobbi

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you go to Settings app and press on the "Mail Contacts Calendars" tab, select "Add Account..." A new page will open and one of the options is "Gmail." As far as I know - this works fine with the Mail app (push e-mail included).

Marilyn

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you go to Settings app and press on the "Mail Contacts Calendars" tab, select "Add Account..." A new page will open and one of the options is "Gmail." As far as I know - this works fine with the Mail app (push e-mail included).

Marilyn

No, unfortunately the IMAP Gmail setup (the one you describe) does not do push. You can check this out by selecting Fetch New Data (just below the Add Account option), then Advanced. Each account can be set for Push, Fetch, or Manual. GMail as Exchange can be Pushed. The IMAP setup only has Fetch and Manual as choices.

The shortest Fetch cycle is 15 minutes.

However, Mail always fetches data when you open it. You can also force a fetch by pulling down at the top of the email list. You get a little gray blobby thing and then the timer wheel to show that Mail is looking.

@ Bennettb: If you need immediate notification of GMail you should use the GMail app, and set it up under Settings > Notifications.

There is no reason (beyond a little self cleaning duplication) why you can not have both the GMail app and GMail setup in Mail. Actually, even if you do use the GMail app you'll probably want the Mail setup, so that you can easily send emails from other apps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, twerppoet. I don't do "Push" on my mail, I only have it "fetched" when I open the app.

Thanks for keeping me straight. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts