What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

something wrong with battery, I think

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Around 3 am, I plugged my iPad into the wall socket with the supplied power cord. I think it was around 20-30% power. At about 1 pm, I found it having a red line and a white bolt (even when plugged in), and no display of anything else. It's been that way since. I've tested it by plugging it into multiple outlets.

I have an iPad 1 that is 16 months old, and has been in frequent use, with little/no problems. The battery life, up until now, had been close to the 10 hrs. specified. I can't seem to be able to do anything with it now.

Thanks in advance!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different cord and/or charger?It's possible that one of them is defective.

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried different cord. Charger charges a friend's phone. So, not that. Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad may be defective.You should take it to you local Apple store or the store you bought it from.If it is defective,you may be able to get a trade in discount on a refurbished iPad.A word of advice,make sure to back up your iPad before taking it in.If you get a replacement,you can set it up from the backup you created.
If you can't back up your iPad,you will lose any data stored on it since your last backup.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Norman--do you think that your battery has become defective or has ran out of its life cycles? Since it is the original iPad, I am wondering if that is the case.

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I've read, if it's running out of battery life cycles, that would happen gradually (and after 1000 or so complete cycles). I've had maybe 300 complete cycles with no problems. I was getting 9 or 10 hrs battery life per charge until just now.

More likely that the battery is defective or there's something else wrong.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree and had mentioned that also that the battery may be defective. Not knowing your charging practices it was something that was worth mentioning. Having said that, as Scifan mentioned, best to have this checked out. They can better assist you with this.

Good luck.

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad may be defective.You should take it to you local Apple store or the store you bought it from.If it is defective,you may be able to get a trade in discount on a refurbished iPad.A word of advice,make sure to back up your iPad before taking it in.If you get a replacement,you can set it up from the backup you created.
If you can't back up your iPad,you will lose any data stored on it since your last backup.

I'm not sure that I will be able to back up my iPad, which is why I really don't want a replacement if I can help it, but would rather have it fixed.

I bought it on-line directly through Apple.

Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple's normal policy when an iPad is brought in for repair is to offer a replacement unit rather than repair your unit.This gives much quicker turnaround times.Even if they repaired your iPad and returned it to you,all your data and content would be wiped from the iPad as part of the repair process.There is no real advantage in having your iPad repaired and returned over receiving a replacement refurbished iPad.

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's normal policy when an iPad is brought in for repair is to offer a replacement unit rather than repair your unit.This gives much quicker turnaround times.Even if they repaired your iPad and returned it to you,all your data and content would be wiped from the iPad as part of the repair process.There is no real advantage in having your iPad repaired and returned over receiving a replacement refurbished iPad.

Thanks.

I'm really hoping that this problem corrects itself on its own.

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update... I wound up buying another iPad (iPad 2). The first time I was charging up the "new" iPad, I had a thought - what if I tried charging the old iPad with a hot charger. Guess what? It worked. The old iPad came back to life almost immediately - and with 100 percent power. It's been working pretty well since.

Recall that the problem had started when I had left the old one charging. I wonder if I had overcharged it. Yes, I know.. supposedly, you can't overcharge, but what if I had. So, now I unplug the iPad soon after it reaches 100%.

Most reactions