What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something is wrong with my iPad

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has happened twice. Yesterday and just now. Im really worried, especially since my warranty was up in June.

I just got my iPad out of my brief case and it was very warm and the battery was completely drained, well, down to 5%. it was 100%, or damn close!

What's going on?

And yes both times I was out in the field and using 3G and then put it away ~ Did it get stuck on 3G and not shut off, so it overheated and drained the battery?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not confident the closing the smart cover stops all apps. Close apps manually using the home button before putting the iPad away and see if that helps.

And make sure there is nothing in the brief case that might bee pushing the home button, or sliding the smart cover around (if used). This could turn the iPad on by accident.

And of course, 3G never shuts off by itself, or you would not get push notifications when out and about. But since it's always been this way I doubt it has anything o do with your current problem.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not confident the closing the smart cover stops all apps. Close apps manually using the home button before putting the iPad away and see if that helps.

And make sure there is nothing in the brief case that might bee pushing the home button, or sliding the smart cover around (if used). This could turn the iPad on by accident.

And of course, 3G never shuts off by itself, or you would not get push notifications when out and about. But since it's always been this way I doubt it has anything o do with your current problem.

I don't have the ipad2, so no smart cover, but this does sound like a problem to you?

I did have a lot of apps open and I bet the buttons were pressed in my briefcase....hopefully.

Thank You, Sir.:)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SweetPoison - I suspect that an app or several were running that drained your battery - just a suggestion - :)

I was away on a trip and listening to some music on my iPod - pulled the earphones (but in retrospect did not turn off the music) - turned on the iPod a few days later and the battery was about dead - a recharge recovered completely!

So, recharge your battery - give it a go and hopefully all will be well - good luck!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I don't have the ipad2, so no smart cover, but this does sound like a problem to you?

I did have a lot of apps open and I bet the buttons were pressed in my briefcase....hopefully.

No problem. The type of apps you have open are more important that the number. As Giradman suggests music apps can be a problem. A more subtle one is the location app. If you have a naviagtion application open it may be in the background staying up to date.

You can tell if this is happening by keeping an eye on your status bar icons. If music is playing (even if you can't hear it) there should be an icon that looks like the standard play button. If location services are running then there is a different arrow that looks a little like arrow head.

Also, since you are jailbroken, keep an eye on any apps or tweaks you added that offer background services. Your fellow jailbreakers would better know what those would be than I would.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison - I suspect that an app or several were running that drained your battery - just a suggestion - :)

I was away on a trip and listening to some music on my iPod - pulled the earphones (but in retrospect did not turn off the music) - turned on the iPod a few days later and the battery was about dead - a recharge recovered completely!

So, recharge your battery - give it a go and hopefully all will be well - good luck!

It is 100% charged now ~ just unplugged it. We shall see what happens to day.

Thank You!

No problem. The type of apps you have open are more important that the number. As Giradman suggests music apps can be a problem. A more subtle one is the location app. If you have a naviagtion application open it may be in the background staying up to date.

You can tell if this is happening by keeping an eye on your status bar icons. If music is playing (even if you can't hear it) there should be an icon that looks like the standard play button. If location services are running then there is a different arrow that looks a little like arrow head.

Also, since you are jailbroken, keep an eye on any apps or tweaks you added that offer background services. Your fellow jailbreakers would better know what those would be than I would.

I do keep an eye on my apps and tweaks. I don't play around with my JB too much ~ I only have about 2 or 3 apps, if that from Cydia.

So the status bar icons, we are not talking about the battery icon?:eek:

Thanks, Boys! I will be back and let you know what happened today.;)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well something is definitely wrong! I just went to get it to put it in my briefcase and it was pretty warm.

Took it out of the little mini case I keep it in and it is warm! Sure enough it is at 23%!

I put it away at 100%. I have not even used it today, I was getting ready to leave.

What is going on? I think I may cry.:(

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. I couldn't tell you the last app I bought, Gab. I only have like 20 or so!

I did update a few yesterday, though.

I'm feelin the tears here. I am sitting here playing with it to see what it is! Is is now down to 17%.

And no warranty....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
No. I couldn't tell you the last app I bought, Gab. I did update a few yesterday, though.

I'm feelin the tears here. I am sitting here playing with it to see what it is! Is is now down to 17%.

And no warranty....

Updates eh.....maybe the problem lies in one of those......you don't happen to know which ones do you (and were they updated before or after the problem started)? If before it could be worth deleting them all, if the problem stops then it will be one of the apps and you can add them back one at a time (say one per day) until you find the culprit. If that is the case it can probably be resolved through the settings........that's my 2 cents anyway!

The Archangel

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no clue which ones updated. They are all in folders, except CNN, I actually saw it updating. I deleted it.

Do you think it could be the charger? It sure did get hot while charging, although that could be normal, I just never moved it before to a new plug, so I actually touched it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My money would be on a rogue app doing something in the background.......although that may explain why I am as poor as a church mouse!

The Archangel

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I deleted a few. I am going to reset it and recharge it. At 13% now. I hope you are right, babe.

If not ~ I will lose my JB and be at Apple's mercy.:(, as I go in to talk to them.

Most reactions

Latest posts