What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some 3G iPad questions

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering getting a 3G iPad, but I have a few questions:
- Can I send/receive SMS messages on it?
- Can I make/receive voice calls on it?

Also, I know that iPad currently has no multi-tasking, but can I run a download manager app, set it to download from my 3G internet connection, and then put it to standby and just keep it in my bag while it downloads stuff? Or does that count as multi-tasking?

What about if iOS4 comes to the iPad, will this be possible? Or are no apps allowed to run in the background when in standby?

Thanks.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering getting a 3G iPad, but I have a few questions:
- Can I send/receive SMS messages on it?
- Can I make/receive voice calls on it?

Also, I know that iPad currently has no multi-tasking, but can I run a download manager app, set it to download from my 3G internet connection, and then put it to standby and just keep it in my bag while it downloads stuff? Or does that count as multi-tasking?

What about if iOS4 comes to the iPad, will this be possible? Or are no apps allowed to run in the background when in standby?

Thanks.

SMS - There are some apps like Textplus and a couple of others where you can send and receive text messages. You can also use Google Voice to send and receive text messages, but it doesn't push or alert you to incoming messages. You have to keep pressing refresh.

You can use Skype to make and receive calls, but I think you have to jailbreak the phone to use this over 3G.

I think there is a downloader app, but I think you have to jailbreak to use it.

Hope this helps!

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skype changed their policy. You can now place skype (audio only) phone calls over 3g without Jailbreaking.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How exactly does Skype work on the iPad. I went to the app store and you can download it for free, but how do you make calls???

OP
B

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have a question about the apps for SMS and voice calls.
Would it use my carrier's actual SMS and voice call capability, or would it be using an online service (like Skype?)

i.e. if my carrier has a plan with unlimited free SMS and unlimited free voice calls to subscribers to the same network, but charges me per second for 3G internet access, will these apps allow me to send free SMS and make free voice calls, as my plan allows, or will it connect to some server like Skype's, which will cause me to get charged for internet access?

Thanks.

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To make calls you can also use a app called whistle it even gives ur ipad a # so ppl can call you back etc

Or download an iphone app called textfree it gives you a # with your area code and u can call and text from it keep in mine callin on this app only last ten minutes there in the testin stage of this app

Me personlly i use textplus for sms

And whistle to make calls and recieve em

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried out Whistle and it's amazing. Just plug in a pair of earphones that you use with a cell phone and you are good to go making and taking calls. When you call your number that Whistle gives you, it actually rings through the iPad speakers. The only reason you would need earphones is to talk back to the caller. The sound is nice and clear. I already use textplus and textplus4 so now I am all set. Thanks for the heads up about Whistle.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloader HD lite

Yes you can actually download things(I downloaded the 3.2.2 ipsw:456MB) in your ipad using several apps available in appstore,no jailbreak is required. I use the "Downloader HD Lite",
-a free app,
-direct download
-pause and resume supports if the server you are downloading from supports that,
-various file sharing service support like rapidshare,megaupload etc..

But yes there are limitations
-you can only keep 7 files in that app,if number of files are already 7 then you can't download anymore
Now either you copy off those 7 files to your pc and remove them from downloader hd lite or delete them if you don't need them and you are good to go.

Since it can't run in background,so you set it to download something and then hit the sleep button to send your ipad to sleep,now the dhl will keep on downloading and once done you'll hear an alarm indicating the download complete,just unlock the ipad and close the dhl.

There are other downloader apps but among the free ones this one seems to actually do what it says. I don't know about the premium ones though.

Tip: You can zip hundreds of photos and pdfs into one file and then copy that off to dhl. Now you can extract that file when needed and view the pdfs or photos(dhl has an awesome photo and pdf viewer too!)
You can also add those extracted pdfs to your ibook library(this trick saves the time of sync if you are in hurry!) or the photos to your ipad photo library in "Saved Pictures" album(saves the optimizing and sync time).

Thank
(I am no advertiser here,just telling about my fav app! )

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need a skype account first. Got to Free internet calls and cheap phone calls - Skype and sign up. Skype to skype calls are free, but you need to pay to call non skype numbers. Deposit $10.00 into your skype account. After you download and install the skype ipad app, buy a headset/microphone combination and use the dial pad to make calls.

How exactly does Skype work on the iPad. I went to the app store and you can download it for free, but how do you make calls???

Patspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Skype on my Ipad and a separate microphone is not necessary. It works fine with the built in mic.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Whistle account is free and the calls are free and not to just whistle people. I think in the long run it might save you some money to use that one instead of Skype.

Most reactions