What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So disappointed after upgrading to IOS8.1

Steven UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just updated my original iPad mini from its original IOS6 to IOS8.1

Now I am in mourning at the destruction of my loved iPad.

Such a bad decision to upgrade.

Buggy, laggy, slow Safari, and yes, I have tried every fix in the book to no avail.

I thought Apple were supposed to be professionals, or am I missing something? And why the reason for refusing paying customers not to be able to roll back to a previously WORKING IOS?

I have lost all trust, and my next device will not be an Apple after this.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hang in there...we've all had our initial concerns after updating to 8. However, it does take some time for the update and your device to play nice with each other. If you've only updated it now, be patient. A lot of iPad 2 owners had your same concerns and are now fairly happy with the most current update. Also, the issues you have (not mentioned) may be easily resolved. Have a look at some of our existing threads to see.

Good luck!

Ski ~ iPadforums Admin | iPhoneForums Moderator

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From what I have been gathering, 8.1.1 fixed a lot of the performance issues that people saw with their older devices. I assume you do have the latest OS installed?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Steven UK
In case you updated using Wi-Fi, connect your iPad to iTunes (computer) and restore it. This should improve the performance of your device.

There was a software update two weeks ago (8.1.1). Restoring will also update to this software. You'll be able to restore from a backup after restoring, iTunes or iCloud, whichever you prefer.

After restoring or updating, reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneaously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, the iPad will power up on it's own.
This should remove minor glitches you'd experience otherwise.

OP
S

Steven UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Steven UK
In case you updated using Wi-Fi, connect your iPad to iTunes (computer) and restore it. This should improve the performance of your device.

There was a software update two weeks ago (8.1.1). Restoring will also update to this software. You'll be able to restore from a backup after restoring, iTunes or iCloud, whichever you prefer.

After restoring or updating, reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneaously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, the iPad will power up on it's own.
This should remove minor glitches you'd experience otherwise.
I did update from itunes and restored from a back up, and completed all the help available online, and the iPad is still slow.

I actually work in IT, so I am familiar with such, and this iPad, especially Safari is SO, SO slow, that Puffin blows it out of the water for speed, but why should I have to use Puffin browser when Apple's own stock browser is failing to do the job?

I Bought an original iPad mini 2 years ago with ios6, never updated it, as all the apps I needed I had downloaded, and that was all I used.

The iPad worked absolutely perfectly for 2 years. I would often mention to family members that the iPad "just worked" and that I was perfectly happy with it and could not imagine using any other tablet; perfect size, loads instantly, slick, unique looking, just perfect. I also during the 2 years had multiple chances to try various android tablets that family members had, and would often compare it to my iPad mini, always content that the speed of the devices were nowhere near that if my iPad.

Obviously I would get the periodic alerts that there was a new update available on the IOS, but as the iPad worked perfect, I felt no need.

Anyway, 5 days ago whilst looking for some new apps I wanted, I was twice alerted that the apps only worked with IOS7+, and as IOS8.1 was just released I thought I would update, to get the apps, etc.

WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE UPDATING

Within hours I immediately regretted updating, with slow loading Safari (and yes, tried all the so-called 'fixes' to no avail), everything is just so sluggish (I have also tried formatting and resetting as new, still as slow, and buggy). I actually have an iPhone 5 which still has IOS6 on it, which no way on this green earth will I be updating it!!, but I have compared the speed of the iPhone to the updated iPad and the difference is staggering. Using my IOS6 iPhone is like an old trusted friend compared to the updated iPad.

I am so, so annoyed at updating, because I obviously cannot go back to IOS6, and I used to love this iPad, but now, I just do not enjoy using it anymore.

I also HATE the fact that just because I trusted Apple I now have an iPad that performs far worse than it did 5 days ago.

Before this update I was perfectly happy with Apple products, and could never have seen myself changing in the future should I ever be in need of a new device.

That view has now changed. I will be looking elsewhere in future. I am extremely disappointed in Apple, and their so-called 'professionalism'.

it seems now that we are just all being dictated to, or why else would Apple not allow paying customers to roll back operating systems to previous versions that worked perfectly. It makes no sense to alienate customers this way. This is MY device, not their's, so why am I being held to ransom.

What an absolute crazy situation this is..... My money will be spent elsewhere in future.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you let your device settle in after the update? Updating from iOS 6 to iOS 8.1.1 is a huge upgrade and it will almost certainly not work properly right after the update completes. You have to allow a day or two for the update to settle in and for it to finish re-indexing. Try it again in a day or two, you should notice an improvement.

Last edited:

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I seriously was considering updating my lap Top to a Mac, after going to iOS8 that idea is on hold. Lap top has been my stand by.

OP
S

Steven UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you let your device settle in after the update? Updating from iOS 6 to iOS 8.1.1 is a huge upgrade and it will almost certainly not work properly right after the update completes. You have to allow a day or two for the update to settle in and for it to finish re-indexing. Try it again in a day or two, you should notice an improvement.
I am on my 6th day now after the updating, and done loads of resets, restores, everything, and nothing has changed.

I even deleted to new condition, and restored, and still Safari is much slower than before, I have an iPhone to compare it against. The phone leaves it dead in it's tracks.

I spend about 8 hours a day in the iPad, for work (well, I used to, it just frustrates me now, so don't use it as much).

Seriously, this update is flawed. Even clicking on settings has a pause, and the App Store takes about 6 seconds to load.

My wife has an 8" android Samsung Galaxy tab 2 that cost just £90 that is currently blitzing my iPad for speed.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Updating to 8.1.1 removed ALL of the similar problems I experienced with 8.1 on my iPad 2. It runs GREAT now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Steven UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday whilst I was in Asda (UK) I was playing with one of their iPad Mini 2's, and checked what the IOS was, and it was IOS8.1, the same as I downloaded on mine. The iPad Mini 2 in the store was flying, and amazingly quick. I could not check the Safari browser on it, as there was no wifi.

Conclusion: One thing is for absolute certain, the IOS8.1 is definitely not for older devices, and my iPad mini (the original iPad Mini 1) is still so slow after downloading IOS8.1, and comparing it to the Mini 2 in the shop was like night and day - but of course the iPad Mini 2 has the A7 chip, which CAN cope with the latest IOS.

Sadly, it seems that Apple is absolutely, and purposely slowing down older machines with their updated IOS.

That is fine, as technology moves forward, BUT why would Apple destroy people's older devices when they know full well that they will struggle to load the latest IOS, and have performance issues. Not only that, but Apple are rubbing customer's noses in it by refusing those with older models to revert back to a WORKING IOS.

"Now that you have downloaded the latest IOS on your older machine, you can do nothing about it's poor performance.... we know you could go back to a working IOS, and we have it, but we will NOT let you do that....why?.... because we want you to buy a newer model and increase the profits of our company even more.... simple as that....welcome to the Apple prison..... (hehe)..."

It is almost blackmail, and maybe ethical (or is it....I wonder!), but it is certainly not moral.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Steven. I am sure you are wrong in your assumptions. It would be more than Apple's reputation is worth to go along this path.

As stated in my post above, my iPad 2 exhibited slow response, in fact it crawled along on 8 and 8.1. But 8.1.1 sorted out all of the problems. Also I deleted a lot of older music and videos no longer needed and I think the extra space available also contributed to a very satisfactory result. 8..... Needs quite a lot of spare space I think.

Do update to latest. Also allow it to settle down for a day or so, and you should find it works OK.

My iPad 2 is still a great machine with the upgrade.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Steven UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How am I wrong?

Can you honestly say that with IOS8.1 your Safari browser is not slower? Similar statements are plastered all over the Internet. Safari is a disaster with IOS8.1.

My son has the identical iPad I have but with 7.1 on it, and it is much faster than mine.

Also, why the reason for disabling IOS rollbacks? Surely that should be a choice of the owner of the device, who paid for a machine based on a working version?

What valid reason would Apple have to disable rollbacks days after the upgrade, and force their customers to accept poor performance until the next update, which usually carries a new set of issues - when they could immediately help the situation and their CUSTOMERS by offering a rollback of IOS?

PS - Gtatler I am pleased your iPad is working though, and I also appreciate the help, but I equate what has happened to somebody pulling the 2.5 ltr engine out of my car, and replacing it with a 1 ltr engine. That is what my iPad feels like now, especially waiting 6 seconds for the App Store to load, and 6/7 seconds for sites like eBay to load, when they all used to load instantly :-(

Last edited:

jaysel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an IT professional, why didn't you wait to see the review of the update before installing it? This happens every time there is an update, so I would have thought you may have taken this into account.
I suspect you know this, but are just ranting to make yourself feel better. Lol

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really think we have all expressed our own opinions, and should agree to differ.

I suggest the admin staff should close this thread now.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts