What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smartcover - poly vs leather?

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other then the obvious, is there any difference between the leather and poly smart covers? Are the leather ones lighter? The poly ones are girly looking and only leather ones are offered in the darker colors.

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
they look and feel the same and I prefer "happy colours"'. And I think the leather ones are way too overpriced. I have the blue polyurethane cover. Ofcourse, it would be nice to have dark gray or black polyurethan cover, but I will not pay nearly twice the price just for colour and to know myself, that I have leather cover. from feet away they look exactly the same. Black andw greean or black and blue. go together very nice and it does not look childish or girlish. On the macstories webpage they describe the smartcover very good: the main difference is, that polyurethane cover has a strong, firm quality to it that is smooth on the hands. If you want to save 30 usd you cant go wrong with polyurethane cover.

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just purchased an official Apple black leather smart cover of eBay for £34.99, so there are some bargains out there :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

creekfella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my TeckNet iPad 2 Folio Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand , With Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor Feature - Black for my iPad2 from Amazon for £10.99! Excellent product.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Leather one here is standing up well under hard usage. Impressed with it's durability.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big difference besides price

The leather cover stains easily and it is impossible to clean it well even with the best leather care products. Save your money and get the vinyl cover.

OP
J

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My color choice would be the blue one for the poly cover, but my wife has it. I don't like the others, so I might get a leather one just to get a better color, but I hate to spend that much just for a cover.

gmcc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the after market (not Apple) leather covers are good. I use my iPad for presentations to customers and did not want the colorful vinyl covers. I really like the Bear Motion cover. It looks professional and available on Amazon for about $39.00.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the poly Smart-Cover with my iPad2. (In gray. How bo-o-o-o-ring!) I figured the leather was mostly a fashion statement, which I've no objection to, just didn't need. The poly has worked very well and I am very glad I got it.I may now consider a sleeve the whole outfit can go into for carrying in a briefcase. (BTW, the Victorinox vertical briefcases are excellent and particularly handy on a plane. I love mine.)

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing i love about the smart cover is that i can take it off easily and put it back on just as easily. This allows me to use the ipad "naked" which is the best way to use the ipad in my opinion.

Its also a typing stand, a movie stand, and it can be used as a screen cleaner.

OP
J

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plainsman said:
I bought the poly Smart-Cover with my iPad2. (In gray. How bo-o-o-o-ring!) I figured the leather was mostly a fashion statement, which I've no objection to, just didn't need. The poly has worked very well and I am very glad I got it.I may now consider a sleeve the whole outfit can go into for carrying in a briefcase. (BTW, the Victorinox vertical briefcases are excellent and particularly handy on a plane. I love mine.)

Is it called the Victorinox Travel Companion?

ghett0tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had the green poly. i'm currently using the khaki leather one. i like the look/feel a lot more.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plainsman said:

Is it called the Victorinox Travel Companion?

No, Duncan, it's not. I went to the Victorinox site and couldn't find it. It is not a backpack, but a true vertical briefcase. Looks very much like the "Eiffel." It was part of their "Architecture" series. Has a great padded pocket for a naked laptop and lots of room without being bulky.

Most reactions