What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover leaving marks?!

Hopper200456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I recently got a replacement iPad (2) because the one I had bought was defective. The Smart Cover I had for it, however, was leaving marks and scratches on the side where it attaches!! I wasn't "throwing it on" or anything, but I did take it off and on quiet a bit (but I was careful about it). I was told that taking it on and off wasn't going to harm the iPad, so where did the scratches come from? Im so worried to put it on my new one... How can I avoid scratching my new one?

Last edited:
OP
Hopper200456

Hopper200456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is official. I got it at Target and have seen the fake one, and mines not it.

Also, I think I forgot to mention, the scratches aren't on the screen. There on the side where it attaches.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
that's why I mentioned the cover strips, it's very strange!?!? Ive just checked mine and no scratches at all, and I take mine off lots to use Bluetooth keyboard

Well, I'd have to agree w/ Rambler - I've had the 'official' smart cover on my iPad2 for at least 18 months now - has been removed many times - no scratches @ all - some 'dirt' may accumulate but easily removed. The 'metallic' looking portion of the smart cover is likely aluminum (AL) which is not magnetic (and also a 'soft' metal - I cut it all of the time in my workshop using carbide steel blades) - the magnetic portion of the cover (which would be ferric) is covered w/ a thin plastic slip) - I really see no way that AL is going to 'scratch' the side of the iPad - was the 'replacement' iPad unscratched from the beginning? Just asking - Dave

OP
Hopper200456

Hopper200456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that's why I mentioned the cover strips, it's very strange!?!? Ive just checked mine and no scratches at all, and I take mine off lots to use Bluetooth keyboard

Oh sorry, I thought your were talking about something else.

Well, I'd have to agree w/ Rambler - I've had the 'official' smart cover on my iPad2 for at least 18 months now - has been removed many times - no scratches @ all - some 'dirt' may accumulate but easily removed. The 'metallic' looking portion of the smart cover is likely aluminum (AL) which is not magnetic (and also a 'soft' metal - I cut it all of the time in my workshop using carbide steel blades) - the magnetic portion of the cover (which would be ferric) is covered w/ a thin plastic slip) - I really see no way that AL is going to 'scratch' the side of the iPad - was the 'replacement' iPad unscratched from the beginning? Just asking - Dave
The replacement iPad was brand new and has no scratches. my old one, the one I used the smart cover with had scratches. (I am sure the Smart Cover is apple brand.) but there is a lot of dirt and crud all over the 'attachment' part of the Smart Cover. See what I mean?:
image.jpg
I have tried to wipe this off, but it won't go away.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The replacement iPad was brand new and has no scratches. my old one, the one I used the smart cover with had scratches. (I am sure the Smart Cover is apple brand.) but there is a lot of dirt and crud all over the 'attachment' part of the Smart Cover. See what I mean?:
View attachment 29054
I have tried to wipe this off, but it won't go away.

OK - I thought that you meant 'scratches' on the metallic portion of the iPad where the 'smart cover' attaches, however, you seem to be showing in the pic 'marks' on the smart cover itself? Guess that I'm further confused about the issue here? The 'plastic type' covering on the smart cover itself on the one that I own has dirt/grime/etc. - :rolleyes:

OP
Hopper200456

Hopper200456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I thought that you meant 'scratches' on the metallic portion of the iPad where the 'smart cover' attaches, however, you seem to be showing in the pic 'marks' on the smart cover itself? Guess that I'm further confused about the issue here? The 'plastic type' covering on the smart cover itself on the one that I own has dirt/grime/etc. - :rolleyes:
Sorry for being so confusing. I'm horrible at explaining things. The scratches ARE on the metallic portion of the iPad. (My old iPad, which was defective.) but, the Smart Cover has all this dirt and stuff on it which I thought might be the problem.

I'm worried about using my Smart Cover on my new, replacement iPad, because I'm worried that the Smart Cover might scratch the side of it, as it did to my old one.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
If you clean the covers magnetic strips with screen cleaner wipes, that should remove the crud that can sometimes build up on the strips.

Also wherever metal comes into contact with metal scratches will occur over time, this can not be avoided I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
OP
Hopper200456

Hopper200456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right. I'll try that.
And it started scratching just over 3 months of having the Smart Cover...

Last edited:

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Hope it all works out for you, I tend to strip mine apart once every 2 weeks and give my screen and case a good clean, I find the cover sometimes leaves lines down the screen which can be quite annoying, but these are soon removed with the screen wipes. Doing this every fortnight may lower the chances of bits lodging between the two surfaces and scratching your iPad.

OP
Hopper200456

Hopper200456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed the lines down the screen, too. But, yeah, as you said, a quick wipe and they're gone.

So far my Smart Cover hasn't left any scratches, but I'm watching it like a hawk. It there's ANY amount of damage on my iPad, even if its small, I'm going to stop using it (and might buy a new one)
Thanks for the help, guys. :)

Last edited:

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should buy a different case, I bought one for my ipad off of amazon for about $10 and I've had it for almost a year now, offers way more protection than the Smart Cover and there's nothing on it that could scratch my ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts