What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype is installed but no icon to execute it on desktop? ahmm Help!

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, I am a newbie at the iAPPLE stuff and I just got my ipad 64GB WiFi 3G and I installed some apps including Skype. Skype was working great and at some point the icon no longer appeared on the desktop so how the heck should I execte the app. If i iSSH into my ipad I can see very clearly the code is installed.

Things I have tried:

1. Reinstall Skype - says success but I still see no icon
2. Renaming the directory and reinstall - says success but I still see no icon
3. Download different version of Skype (just for the hell of it) and install- still no icon

ahmm wtf.. Any ideas how to generally create a link on the desktop for something or specifally Skype?

I am pretty familiar with Linux but not this gui so need some help!

Thanks

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, but do you have Categories installed? CAtegories allows you to hide icons, perhaps you accidentally hid the icon for Skype.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quit spamming you moron.

EDIT: This was directed at someone who's post has since been deleted

Last edited:
OP
P

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, but do you have Categories installed? CAtegories allows you to hide icons, perhaps you accidentally hid the icon for Skype.

Nope. Where can I find a doc that tells me how to recreate a shortcut for an app on the desktop..windows is so much easier..ie right click etc

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it listed under your apps in iTunes? Perhaps uncheck the app from the sync box, delete it within iTunes from your device, and then re-download and reinstall from itunes.

OP
P

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it listed under your apps in iTunes? Perhaps uncheck the app from the sync box, delete it within iTunes from your device, and then re-download and reinstall from itunes.

hehe, no cuz its a hacked thing and of course itunes wont back that up cuz no payee no iTunezee.

Is what I am hearing is you can't create a shortcut on the desktop like you do in windows? If I can find the executable file for Skype in the directory I should be able to run it somehows..

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no "create shortcut"

Are you sure it just didn't get stuck on some random springboard screen by itself?

Also if you go into iTunes and sync it will delete it most likely.

And the Skype app is free, so god knows why you would install a hacked version of a free app.

OP
P

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Are you sure it just didn't get stuck on some random springboard screen by itself?

And the Skype app is free, so god knows why you would install a hacked version of a free app.

Maybe I misunderstood Apples iStore but I refuse to register a credit card with them so I can download free apps so I used the Installous version instead. Forgive me if I could have done this an easier way...hence skype is the non iStore downloaded ipa..

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

Maybe I misunderstood Apples iStore but I refuse to register a credit card with them so I can download free apps so I used the Installous version instead. Forgive me if I could have done this an easier way...hence skype is the non iStore downloaded ipa..
Thats illegal and could possably be the reason its not working. Many app developers build in crack detection into their apps and when its detected that you are running a cracked version the app can do any number of things. Remove itself, send all your devices info back to the app creater, install 3rd party app without you knowing, or just give you a warning that it was detected and close the app....

and apple doesnt require a credit card to regiater an itunes account. open itunes and try to download a free app, when it asks you to log in tell it you need to create an account. When it asks for your payment method select the option that says NONE.

Last edited:
OP
P

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thru some research I was able to discover something called "Spotlight Search" by swipping my home screen to the left once.

Did a search on "Skype" and it showed in results. I clicked it and it ran my Skype. Still a mystery about where the desktop icon went but at least I can run it now and it still works.

Oh well, I guess no one here knows much about the desktop icons..Reply if you have specific solution.

I was gonna post another issue I had about how I mount my PC share to the ipad so I can access the videos on my ipad without copying them but just figured that one out by loading the "Air Video Server/client" application. OMG this thing rocks. Works on the internet as well. Just increased my use of the ipad by 200%!

thanks

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not understanding your incepted use of the iPad, it sounds as though hacking it as a desktop or notebook is the norm for you.

You SSH with Linux but aren't aware of a simple spotlight feature one screen over??

Sorry but it sounds like being your first Mac/Apple device, you may want to get more familiarized with the ground OS and just how easy it is to use without hacking. Once a person has the basics of operation and iTunes syc down, then I could see hacking outside resources into the daily routine or operations of the iPad. But until then it seems like tossing shredded lettuce at the rabbit and screaming profusely at it EAT EAT!
Try the carrots (app store) they are nice and fresh too. :confused:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bet the icon is on it's own homescreen somewhere far to the right by itself. Could very well be since the OP didn't know about the swipe to the left, perhaps a swipe to the right might be in order until you can't swipe further so you know if it is just there somewhere.

Never once seen or heard anyone having issues with hacked apps or legal apps with the icon disappearing if they didn't have Categories installed.

Guessing that the problem exists between the user and iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts