What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky fire, what a POS

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the mistake of believing some apple fanboy review of the ipad2 saying that flash "wasn't all that important" because you can always work around that by using sky fire browser.

Yea right, I have yet to find a single video (out of literally hundreds) that play in sky fire after refusing to play in safari. Don't waste your money on this piece of garbage.

I never realized how much web content is not available to iPad users until I bought one. Its totally my fault for not researching it enough, but I definitely still need my PC laptop nearby as virtually NONE of the video content on a lot of the sites I like work in my new ipad2.........I still like the thing, but not as much as I expected to.

~John

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the mistake of believing some apple fanboy review of the ipad2 saying that flash "wasn't all that important" because you can always work around that by using sky fire browser.

Yea right, I have yet to find a single video (out of literally hundreds) that play in sky fire after refusing to play in safari. Don't waste your money on this piece of garbage.

I never realized how much web content is not available to iPad users until I bought one. Its totally my fault for not researching it enough, but I definitely still need my PC laptop nearby as virtually NONE of the video content on a lot of the sites I like work in my new ipad2.........I still like the thing, but not as much as I expected to.

~John

Yeah, many Apple fans sound stupid saying there is no need for flash, etc etc. There are many opinions about flash, but the fact is, many websites still use it, and without it, you can't view those websites and their content. That's the reality. There are also many people who will suggest Skyfire. Sky fire is a joke in my opinion. You have to pay for it, but it only enable flash videos, not website flash content. My suggestion is to try out Puffin browser, as it will give you full flash capabilities, but slower than a native browser with full flash. It's what I use, and it's definitely better than nothing, and gets the job done. When you switch to an iOS device, you have to understand that you are giving up on some functionality and customization from what Android has.....however, iOS devices are simply higher quality, and have less issues....just works....and more and better apps, and just more polished ui.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another pointless Flash thread... Stick it with a fork! It's done!

Not really pointless more than the point has been made adnauseum.

But it is still true and it s annoying. I stick iPad because in terms of apps it gives me what I need. I am just hoping that the Playbook's app count will multiply to the point where it will have most of the apps I need. If they offer flash with that, I will switch.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

Not really pointless more than the point has been made adnauseum.

But it is still true and it s annoying. I stick iPad because in terms of apps it gives me what I need. I am just hoping that the Playbook's app count will multiply to the point where it will have most of the apps I need. If they offer flash with that, I will switch.

Pointless to me, at any rate and before you go jumping on the Playbook bandwagon you might want to check out the following...
PlayBook Shows Challenges of Bringing Flash to Tablets | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

iKersh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why viewing YouTube videos through the native app in iOS works but when on a laptop/desktop without Flash and you access YouTube, you are forced to install the plugin before going any further???

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BrianKeith, thanks for the puffin browser suggestion. I had not heard of that one & will try it later when I get home. I don't take my ipad2 to work anymore as I found that in work related issues it was simply too painful to deal with some of the ipad issues.

I for one, can't wait for an un-tethered jailbreak to come out for the IP2. I know that's coming and will solve a lot of the issues that make the ipad a "device for newbies" and so infuriating for more sophisticated users.

~John

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You know what's also pointless? When people come into threads that they claim is useless, just to post their disapproval of the thread. It makes me wonder why people like that don't just ignore the thread if they disapprove of it. Did someone force them into the thread when they read the topic?

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BrianKeith, thanks for the puffin browser suggestion. I had not heard of that one & will try it later when I get home. I don't take my ipad2 to work anymore as I found that in work related issues it was simply too painful to deal with some of the ipad issues.

I for one, can't wait for an un-tethered jailbreak to come out for the IP2. I know that's coming and will solve a lot of the issues that make the ipad a "device for newbies" and so infuriating for more sophisticated users.

~John

No problem. I feel the way that you do, to an extent. However, I actually love my IPhone 4 and IPad 2 now, and yes, when they are jailbroken, it's just that much better.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skyfire is def the worst browser I have ever used. Yea the flash compatibility is useful but barley you can't scroll through the video. The browser it self is so Suggish patty I honestly get frustrated and annoyed. The only good feature are the twitter and Facebook connect, and that is the only reason I still haven't delete it. Every time I try to give it another chance it just fails me! Even on the iPad 2 the performance is less that satisfactory.

I would recommend mecrury browser or terra.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

You know what's also pointless? When people come into threads that they claim is useless, just to post their disapproval of the thread. It makes me wonder why people like that don't just ignore the thread if they disapprove of it. Did someone force them into the thread when they read the topic?

As a long time member of this forum I can tell you that the Flash arguement is older than Moses and just as desicated. Search any one of the forums and you'll see it over and over again, ad vomitus. After 11 months of hearing the same old arguments by self-professed tech wizards that just joined the forum yesterday it gets tiresome. I just wish I'd posted the dead horse, instead.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts