What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri on Ipad3

tbonn25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got io6, Siri is there but not working. Am I missing something here?

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you go to "settings", then "general" and "Siri" and turn it on? Once you have done that, hold down the home button and it will activate Siri.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
susan, see your many posts mention how excited to have siri on your ipad3. How do you feel now? Any cool things to do/ask siri? I am kind disappointing that siri seems not be able to close apps, e.g., after I say "close music (the app)" it start to play songs from music app! I have to shout: "stop" to shut it. I think siri either doesn't understand "close" or unable to "close" apps. Any idea?

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fiat said:
susan, see your many posts mention how excited to have siri on your ipad3. How do you feel now? Any cool things to do/ask siri? I am kind disappointing that siri seems not be able to close apps, e.g., after I say "close music (the app)" it start to play songs from music app! I have to shout: "stop" to shut it. I think siri either doesn't understand "close" or unable to "close" apps. Any idea?

Credit f4780y
f4780y said:
Pressing the home button once will "close" and app by returning you to the home screen. That is less effort than holding the home button and speaking the command via Siri.

If going back to the home screen is not what you want to do, Apple expect you to launch the app you want to be in via Siri, rather than close the current one...

If you are thinking about exiting from the app altogether (so it is completely removed from memory), that is an action Apple prefer you to do expressly using the multi-tasking bar. The belief, from an OS point of view, is that the IOS multitasking and memory management is so good that you should never need to really fully exit an app. In most cases this is true, but the odd time you need to do it, you do it manually, rather than via Siri.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Credit f4780y

What's the point? Is it less effort too that you just tab the app to open than pressing home button and ask siri? It's certainly less effort to exit app via siri, if possible, than via multi-tasking bar. There are needs to exit from certain apps for running ipad with 3rd party accessory (e.g., power station with speakers).

May be I should try asking siri to "exit" rather than "close" an app?

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use Siri for opening and closing apps. I have her read and send texts, check my calendar, add appointments and reminders, find notes, look up things on safari, etc. These are the types of things I utilize Siri for and I find it saves me a great deal of time, not to mention its fun.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
susanlackey said:
I don't use Siri for opening and closing apps. I have her read and send texts, check my calendar, add appointments and reminders, find notes, look up things on safari, etc. These are the types of things I utilize Siri for and I find it saves me a great deal of time, not to mention its fun.

susan,
Yes, Siri is at an acceptable level of usefulness for me too.
I 'm happy with it so far, but look forward to it being more intuitive, and equally intelligent & able to understand my mumblings-requestions.

Glad we are here and sharing our positive experiences together.

Chas

Last edited:

rattlebattle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I have a ipad three bought on launch day I installed ios6 last Friday Siri worked for a bit then had problems with voice recognition. The word yacht was understood as yard or your. I typed in the correction and since Siri has stpooed working. I am not sure how much a loss it is because in the limited use I had with Siri I believe that word recognition is not all there yet

hachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPhone 4S and recently updated the iOS to 6.0 and have noticed that Siri takes a bit longer to respond the first time I call her up. But once she's loaded she performas as normal. This happens even if I power cycle the iPhone. I just started to use Siri to help author text messages and to dial contacts. That's about it.

I have also noticed the same with my iPad 3 (which I also recently updated to iOS 6) though I don't use her rarely on the iPad.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can not close apps in iPad 3 you have no option except tapping the home button

Most reactions