What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sir Jony Ive’s iOS 7 Set to Usher in Big Changes in Design

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
4141-iphone-4s.JPG

According to 9to5 Mac’s sources, we could be in for a bit of a shock when Apple release iOS 7 (codenamed “Innsbruck,â€), which will be the first iOS version to come from Sir Jony Ive’s leadership of the team. The report says that “multiple†people who have either seen or been officially briefed on iOS 7 says that its completely redesigned interface will be appealing to new iOS users, but in turn might be a bit unsettling for those who know and love the familiar old iOS interface. 9to5 Mac says that the new look is “very, very flat,†without any of the previous “gloss, shine, and skeumorphism†of the current iOS design. Even more worryingly, another of 9to5 Mac’s sources says that iOS 7 will have a flat look similar to that of Microsoft’s Windows Phone Metro. Apparently, in terms of iOS 7, “flat†means that the look will be very simple, without the sort of skeumorphic look of diaries and notebooks that look exactly like real-life diaries and notebooks. If true, this could be a risky move for Apple, as some might say that the skeumorphic look is one of the things that makes iOS so appealing and sets it apart from other smartphone OS interfaces. Others might say that it’s time for a change, however. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Jony Ive paints a fresh, yet familiar, look for iOS 7 | 9to5Mac

I

Icarus75

I think that a change is necessary at this stage, but the implied extent of the changes made to the interface are slightly worrying. Upon iOS 7's release, I will definitely watch a lot of footage of the new operating system before deciding whether or not I want to upgrade...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ultimately Ive should make it an option more than a full implementation until a full poll has gone through, or just leave it toggle-able

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Flat like MS? Oh no.....

Yeah, since when does apple want to be like MS? The UI is one area that apple shouldn't touch at all. It slick, good looking and works great.

I don't like the sounds of this at at all..... :(

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care for the skeumorphic look and would prefer more elegant design. If I'm reading an ebook, for instance, I don't need it to mimic a print book with curling pages and such. I also find the fake bookcase in Newsstand and iBooks to be totally cheesy. Good riddance if Apple purged such "features."

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't care for the skeumorphic look and would prefer more elegant design. If I'm reading an ebook, for instance, I don't need it to mimic a print book with curling pages and such. I also find the fake bookcase in Newsstand and iBooks to be totally cheesy. Good riddance if Apple purged such "features."

The look is not nearly the same as making the OS flat like MSs. And I think most people really want additional functionality...I'm not fond of emulating a hard book either, but that part is insignificant compared to functionality issues. It's scary when the first mention we get of some real changes have to do with skeumorphic rather than useful, functional updates.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The look is not nearly the same as making the OS flat like MSs. And I think most people really want additional functionality...I'm not fond of emulating a hard book either, but that part is insignificant compared to functionality issues. It's scary when the first mention we get of some real changes have to do with skeumorphic rather than useful, functional updates.

I don't find the speculation worrisome. It's in Apple's interests to keep up usability even if they decide to redesign. And if they screw up the OS, I'll use something else.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't find the speculation worrisome. It's in Apple's interests to keep up usability even if they decide to redesign. And if they screw up the OS, I'll use something else.

Yeah, they had better remain slick and useable. That's their trademark, IMO. Don't go messing with what's working for you.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Flat like MS? Oh no.....

The "flat OS" is one reason I do not like the Windows phones and their Surface tablets. No style; the color remind me of Windows for Workgroups/Windows 3.1. About all I can say is at least it is not Microsoft Bob. Yes, I said MS-Bob, Google it. Or even Bing it, if you prefer.

I might consider a MS-Surface Pro running Winstep Extreme, if at all possible. Way cool. Or rather than buy drunk and accidentally entering the new Microsoft Store, I might buy an iPad 128 GB tablet.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, they had better remain slick and useable. That's their trademark, IMO. Don't go messing with what's working for you.

Perhaps we can wait until it is available and have a look? just sayin.' My guess is Apple is going after some of that sweet Microsoft money.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps we can wait until it is available and have a look? just sayin.' My guess is Apple is going after some of that sweet Microsoft money.

If Apple is following MS, then we'll basically be disappointed since MS has a colorful history when it comes to disappointment

Most reactions

Latest posts