What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sim card problems

teza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, need some advice with my problem, only had my iPad 2 hours when I inserted my sim card straight in the slot without the tray with some small twezers have manage to get the card out, I have now put it in the right way but get a message(no sim card inserted) I have brought a new card incase I damaged the first but still get the same message, I now guess I have damaged the card reader, my question is does anyone know if apple could fix this this and what the cost might be, thx teza

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand your post correctly, you first inserted the SIM card without using the tray and subsequently, having realised your mistake, you managed to retrieve the SIM card with a pair of tweezers. You then inserted the SIM card correctly - if you've put it into the tray it will only fit in one way, so - as long as you've aligned the bevelled end correctly in the tray - it must be inserted in the correct orientation.

You then see that there is a 'No SIM' error message on the status line of the iPad.

It seems likely, if this is the case, that you damaged the contacts that connect the SIM to the iPad, either when inserting the SIM without the tray (whose purpose is to align the SIM both vertically and horizontally with the contacts) or when retrieving the SIM.

My advice would be to return the iPad to an Apple Store and seek their advice. They will almost certainly offer to replace the iPad under the warranty as a defective unit.

Tim

OP
T

teza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
If I understand your post correctly, you first inserted the SIM card without using the tray and subsequently, having realised your mistake, you managed to retrieve the SIM card with a pair of tweezers. You then inserted the SIM card correctly - if you've put it into the tray it will only fit in one way, so - as long as you've aligned the bevelled end correctly in the tray - it must be inserted in the correct orientation.

You then see that there is a 'No SIM' error message on the status line of the iPad.

It seems likely, if this is the case, that you damaged the contacts that connect the SIM to the iPad, either when inserting the SIM without the tray (whose purpose is to align the SIM both vertically and horizontally with the contacts) or when retrieving the SIM.

My advice would be to return the iPad to an Apple Store and seek their advice. They will almost certainly offer to replace the iPad under the warranty as a defective unit.

Tim

Thanks Tim, iPad on it's way back to apple, will post when I hear back
from apple. Thanks again

tezza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Good to hear - let us know how it turns out..

Tim

Hey Tim, apple replaced the iPad with no problems, I was very impressed with how good they were about my problem and how quick they were, posted back to apple on the Wednesday and received the replacement on Monday, very happy and have put the new sim card in the right way this time, thanks for your advice...
Terry

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear and thanks for letting us know. It's always encouraging to Members to hear of how good the Apple service is.

I hope you have a great time with your iPad.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts