What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesandyori

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y ,

Thank you so very much. I was missing one piece to the puzzle with TU and you gave it to me!

I can now use TU to it's full potential!

YOU ROCK!

James

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
19th April - It looks as though today, Apple has finally got wise to Cydia and started to block their servers (which are hosted on Amazon infrastructure) from requesting SHSH Blobs - I will update the FAQ as soon as I have concrete information, but for the moment you should use TU or iSHSHit and set the options in those programs to save your blobs directly from Apple and not Cydia.

UPDATE - Saurik has confirmed on Twitter that this was nothing more than rumour and speculation. There was a bug on his server which was preventing the retrieval of 4.3.2 SHSH Blobs. Panic over!

Last edited:

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
if i save my shsh blob 4.3.1 would i be able to use it in case apple swap my ipad 2 with new one with possibly 4.3.2?

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ZibaWal said:
if i save my shsh blob 4.3.1 would i be able to use it in case apple swap my ipad 2 with new one with possibly 4.3.2?
Not that I know of, the shsh blobs are unique to each device, so if you saved them for your current iPad 2 that's the only one it'll save for, so you can't use them to downgrade another iPad 2

FREE MY iPAD2 

ShikiNanaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for such an amazing FAQ! However, Im currently in a predicament in upgrading my ipad 1g to 4.2.1 using the shsh blobs saved in Cydia. This is my situation, please bare with me, thank you:

Im currently in 3.2 and have never upgraded since I bought my ipad and jailbroken it. However, now I decided to upgrade it because I frequently get a lot of crashes in my email app and safari, sometimes to the point that I have to restart the device, it occurs frequently now. So I decided to update it to 4.2.1 since I believe that it is the latest ios that can be jailbroken at the moment (untethered), please correct me if im wrong. Im currently using snowbreeze 2.2.1 to make a custom IPSW of 4.2.1 which it did successfully. Now the problem is updating from 3.2 to 4.2.1 Since I remained in 3.2 and had my shsh blobs saved in Cydia, I noticed that Cydia also had saved the shsh blobs up to 4.3b. Now I already edited the hosts file using notepad to include the exact line in the bottom:
74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

After putting the ipad in the DFU mode (yes I made sure it was in DFU, the screen is black and it was verified by snowbreeze as well). The problem is I get the exact same error 3194, and could never get past it. Another problem is that I dont have locally saved shsh blobs so I dont think I can use tiny umbrella (im such an idiot for not saving it locally as well). So any help is truly and greatly appreciated. I want to know if it's possible to update in my situation? Take in mind I never updated my device to any of the ios versions before, and stayed in 3.2, but since Cydia automatically backed up newer ios version shsh blobs, I'm taking a chance that updating to a certain version might work.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the information in the "jailbreaking methods" sticky will tell you that the latest iOS can be easily jailbroken untethered, so there is no need for you to be messing with SHSH Blobs, 4.2.1, or anything else. Just follow the sn0wbreeze tutorial sticky using 4.3.2 and you should be fine.

Remember to remove the redirect of gs.apple.com from your hosts file first. You don't need it and it won't work for 4.3.2 with it in place...

MaDurn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i jailbroke mine and my huband's iPad while Cydia was down, so I didnt get the question to have blobs saved automatically. i did download TU, but havent really interacted with it since i wasnt sure of what i was doing. at this point, i am truly flying off the cuff.

is it better to have TU collecting blobs or should i wait for Cydia to make my life easier?

ShikiNanaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the information in the "jailbreaking methods" sticky will tell you that the latest iOS can be easily jailbroken untethered, so there is no need for you to be messing with SHSH Blobs, 4.2.1, or anything else. Just follow the sn0wbreeze tutorial sticky using 4.3.2 and you should be fine.

Remember to remove the redirect of gs.apple.com from your hosts file first. You don't need it and it won't work for 4.3.2 with it in place...

Thanks that's what I did, it worked. Still it's too bad appbackup doesnt work yet in this version so the apps I backed up like save game progresses cant be loaded. This is my current predicament at the moment, still working on it.

Maberib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can one save SHSH blobs for an IOS version they haven`t upgraded to yet?

I'm still on 4.3 just in case, although I didn't think to backup the blob while 4.3 was still the current version. I downloaded TinyUmbrella to backup whatever I could, but that seems to be nothing. A screen shot of my log is attached.

Another question: Being on IOS 4.3, but not having saved blobs for it, if a JB comes out for 4.3, will I still be able to use it?

Attachments

• TinyUmbrella Log.png
    TinyUmbrella Log.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 535
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can one save SHSH blobs for an IOS version they haven`t upgraded to yet?

I'm still on 4.3 just in case, although I didn't think to backup the blob while 4.3 was still the current version. I downloaded TinyUmbrella to backup whatever I could, but that seems to be nothing. A screen shot of my log is attached.

Another question: Being on IOS 4.3, but not having saved blobs for it, if a JB comes out for 4.3, will I still be able to use it?

Yes. Q11 covers that.
But, Cydia is having an issue with 4.3.3 blob saving at the moment. If you switch to the "Advanced" tab in TU and untick "resuest SHSH From Cydia", then you will be able to save 4.3.3 directly from Apple. You can always get the current firmware blobs directly from Apple like this. Once Saurik fixes the issue, you should also be able to get them through Cydia.

Lastly, you will be able to JB 4.3 if you stay on that firmware and they release a payload jailbreak such as redsn0w (see jailbrekaing methods sticky for more info on this). The only thing in this scenario is that if something goes wrong, you will never be able to restore to 4.3 because you have not blobs. Also if a theoretical jailbreak was released using custom firmware such as sn0wbreeze or pwnage tool, then you will be out of luck as you must have blobs to install a custom firmware.

However, all the intelligence we have about iPad2 at the moment indicates that the 4.3 jailbreak will NEVER be released. I honestly don't think it is worth anyone staying on 4.3, however that is just my personal opinion. You do whatever makes you comfortable.

Hope that helps.

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need to update to 4.3.3 to get an SHSH blob for 4.3.3? I do not want to upgrade from 4.3.2, but just wondering if I can get one to keep (just in case) without upgrading!

Reaction score
jsherk said:
Do I need to update to 4.3.3 to get an SHSH blob for 4.3.3? I do not want to upgrade from 4.3.2, but just wondering if I can get one to keep (just in case) without upgrading!

This is from f4780y's first post in this thread:

11. I don't have IOS version x.y.z installed on my iPad, so I can't get SHSH for it, right?
NO! - SHSH Blobs have nothing to do with the firmware you have installed on your device.
You can quite happily request and receive blobs for 4.3.1 even if you are back on 3.2.2 provided Apple is signing 4.3.1 today. What you cannot do is request blobs for 3.2.2 today as the window for that version is well and truly closed - Beginning to make sense?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read all that a couple weeks ago, and I just breezed thru it again before I posted and did not see it... is there a smiley for a slap on the hand? Sorry!

Thanks

th3hat3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for a great FAQ dude! Well i have a question,

I am running iOS 4.3.3 (Jailbroken Untethered), and when iOS 4.3.4 is released, will i be able to update it to 4.3.4? (I saved my SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 by TU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts