What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I Switch Off my iPad or leave it on all day ?

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad-3 and the way I use it is like 2-3 Hours in the Morning then 1-2 Hours in the evening and some 3 Hours in the Night. I have a Apple Smart Cover. What is the best way to preserve my battery and also ensure that constant on and off does not harm my iPad what do you guys suggest should I leave it on all day and let the Smart Cover wake it and sleep it or To turn it off is a better idea so the iPad is not unnecessarily on. Especially when I may use it after a gap of 4 Hours. With the kind of usage I have mentioned.

Thanks !

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad is meant to be used as you are currently using it. So you can not harm it by continuing that pattern.

Now could you prolong the life of the iPad by truly shutting it off between uses? It might be possible. But odd are you will have replaced it with an iPad 10 long before you would realize the benefits.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is meant to be used as you are currently using it. So you can not harm it by continuing that pattern.

Now could you prolong the life of the iPad by truly shutting it off between uses? It might be possible. But odd are you will have replaced it with an iPad 10 long before you would realize the benefits.

Currently I shut it off between Intervals ! So are you suggesting I should keep doing that ? Or should I keep it on. When I say Life of Battery I mean after a Single charge how long can it go on, I dont mean the entire Life Cycle of that battery on how long is it good to use..I did not mean that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turn mine off no more than once a month or so. The value of it to me diminishes greatly if I turn it on/off all the time.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OH, I misread the smart cover usage statement. My bad.

So your question could be rephrased as "When in standby/sleep mode how long will the battery last, between charges, versus if I turn it off"? Sorry I didn't catch that the first time.

I haven't actually done a quantitative analysis of that but I do believe my observations and tracking of stats, since iOS 6 came out, suggest you could get 1 hour of extra use for every 10 to 14 hours of standby you save. But if you are charging it every night, then I believe you can skip the on/off cycle since you aren't hitting the batteries limit by the time you are done using it.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The optimum charge regimen for the iPad battery is to run it down to 10-20%, then recharge it fully before using it. This should be done at least once a month, if it doesn't match your normal usage pattern. Otherwise, just let the cover put it to sleep, and plug it into the charger every night.

If one or more apps stop responding normally, then a reboot is in order. There's no other compelling reason to shut down.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you guys sure I should it leave it on for such Long Intervals, if I am not using between those intervals and I am talking about long intervals here...Imagine/consider if you were using a Laptop or your Desktop instead would you keep it on if you were just gonna use it for a while in the morning and then directly use it in the night. I dont do the same with my Laptop but dont know how to deal with th iPad
frown.png
is it not a bad practice of using a computing device ?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
vish26 said:
Are you guys sure I should it leave it on for such Long Intervals, if I am not using between those intervals and I am talking about long intervals here...Imagine/consider if you were using a Laptop or your Desktop instead would you keep it on if you were just gonna use it for a while in the morning and then directly use it in the night. I dont do the same with my Laptop but dont know how to deal with th iPad is it not a bad practice of using a computing device ?

My iPad is on all the time..... During the day I put it in sleep mode when not in use and at night I turn on the clock (I need big numbers to see the time at night) and plug it in to charge while I am sleeping.

I only turn it off about once a month and I have no problems with it at all.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you guys sure I should it leave it on for such Long Intervals, if I am not using between those intervals and I am talking about long intervals here...Imagine/consider if you were using a Laptop or your Desktop instead would you keep it on if you were just gonna use it for a while in the morning and then directly use it in the night. I dont do the same with my Laptop but dont know how to deal with th iPad
frown.png
is it not a bad practice of using a computing device ?

You can do whatever you like....no need to follow what we do.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
noelmcgrath said:
Mine stays on 24/7 just gets a restart sometimes if it slows down or crashes.

I do the same, it goes to sleep when you close the cover therefore saving power, and if things start going slow I do a reboot and all's well again.

Sent from Wales.

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never shut down anything like my phone, kindle fire, laptops or iPads... Never had a issue with any of them....

sdleasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO. Do whatever makes you feel good. Me? I like hitting the home button and use it. I am not patient enough to wait for the boot time. I use mine a bit like OP, so I am doing a complete charge about once a week or so. I don't do "short charges" every night. But I am also that person that puts his home PC in standby instead of shutting it off; I like to just hit the mouse button and I am off doing stuff - instead of waiting for it to boot, plus all the processes to load. Personally I think it is harder on a machine to power it up and down all the time, rather than keeping it on, but that is just me.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad battery is currently at 86%, standby time from right now would be 612 hours. That's about 25 days on standby, with nothing running in the background.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turn my iPad off at the end of the day............takes a whole 15 seconds to boot.
No big deal!

People want instant satisfaction now days....... :D

Most reactions

Latest posts