What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I purchase the iPad for my trip??

cdotgreene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I have a question that I've been going over for a long time.

I'm heading to Mumbai, India for a business trip next week. I'll be there for 3-4 weeks. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money to purchase an iPad.

I travel for work all the time (flights each week to my client site) and I've managed to hold off on buying an iPad all this time, but I'm wondering if it would be a smart buy for my trip - long flights, far away from home, etc.

I have a small (12.1") laptop (that I'm taking with me for work anyway) with a webcam and iTunes downloaded on it, so I'm not sure the iPad will be much use to me, but I'd hate to get on the plane and regret not having it! I'll have long flights with one layover each way. For two of my segments I'm in economy plus seating with power outlets, but for the other segments I won't have it so I doubt my laptop would have enough power.

I'd aprreciate feedback/advice...especially for people who travel frequently with laptops and have an iPad. I'd only want it for games, movies, etc but I wonder if I can get all of that with my laptop and not have to spend the $500+ for the iPad.

thanks in advance...

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

I also travel quite a bit...domestic and foreign...and I could not imagine not having my iPad with me everywhere I go! The 10 hour battery life for long flights is a real plus. Although it's not a replacement for a full-blown computer IMO, it is so versatile and with the thousands and thousands of apps available, it is amazing what it's capable of. I have a 64GB model with about 50GB's of data on it. If you're traveling and want to watch movies, have plenty of photos and music (plus various apps for entertainment and business) I'd recommend getting at least the 32GB model.

The only thing I might have done differently would have been to have bought the WiFi only version. I thought having 3G when I was traveling would have been handy, but quite honestly I really haven't found myself anywhere where I couldn't find a good WiFi hotspot. I've never activated the 3G feature in the year and a half or so that I've owned my iPad. I could have saved $130. That said, if you think it would come in handy for you, by all means get it. 3G also has the built-in GPS feature that the WiFi doesn't, so that may be useful for you as well. Just something to think about.

Once you have it you'll be wishing you had bought one sooner...almost guaranteed! :)

Hope that helps, and safe travels!

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:

andysmfc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definetly. Go for it the battery lasts for ages and loads of great apps and games as well as music and movies available od recommend a 32gb or 64gb as youll probably want lots of apps and movies id also recommend 3G as its handy

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Go for it. I take it everywhere. If price isn't an issue, get the gig pig. 64GB wifi + 3G. You don't have to activate a data as count until you want to. And you can always tether.
Load it up with movies and tunes and enjoy India. I want a report when you get back. :)

AA

OP
cdotgreene

cdotgreene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks so much for the quick replies and welcome everyone!!! (I was nervous I wouldn't have any replies before I left for my trip)
I've just been so worried about having buyers regret, but I was so afraid that I'd wish I had it that I went ahead and purchased one! (still a little nervous, but I love it already)

I have it loaded with movies and apps (I have my iPod for music) so hopefully it serves me will in India! I'm definitely going to reply to this post when I get back (and maybe while I'm there :) ) to let you know how it works for me! (worse case scenario, there are so many people who want the iPad I'm sure I won't have any trouble selling it...but I'm excited to put it to use)

I purchased the wifi only model - so many people who I know say they wish they'd saved the money instead of buying 3G. I already own a kindle and iPod, so I figured I'd be safe buying the 16GB model, so we'll see...

I really appreciate the quick responses! Thanks again!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found iPads to be great travel devices, especially because my 3G models have GPS and I can swap out their SIM cards abroad. I avoid all wi-fi unless I know the security and who else is online.

If you use wi-fi at hotels, airports, cafes, etc., you should be aware of the risks. You can google "public wi-fi risks" or "hotel wi-fi risks," for instance, and find loads of info.

Here's just one example:

Hotel WiFi Hacking is on the Rise

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congratulations! I know you'll become fast friends. :)

BTW, you don't have to pull an iPad out of your bag for security checks at the airport! :thumbs:

Safe travels!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same here. I am lost without it. 64GB and 3G. If you can afford it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Without a doubt the iPad is the best travel companion you can have. Always entertaining, lots of energy, loves to play games or take in a good movie. Best of all doesn't crowd you in those tiny airline seats!

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
never leave home WITHOUT It ... it's your most loyal travel companion .. It can thrill you, excite you, help you at all times and will not complaint as long as you feed it with enough battery, apps, entertainment contents and fill it with your work .. 

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son went to Mumbai not too long ago. That's one very, very long flight. I'm sure you'll be convinced you did the right thing before you ever get off the plane. Hope your trip is safe and successful!

mrsterrijane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and its sooo much lighter to carry than a laptop. some airlines even have an outlet to charge it with on long flights. singapore airlines does. best travel companion ive ever had ....except my husband LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts