What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get an iPad 2 for Christmas or wait for the 3?

KyleLutnick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how long it will take for the 3 to come out, but I don't want the iPad 2 if the 3 is coming out a month later. Thoughts?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We never know when a new Apple product is coming out - and whatever anyone says, including me, is sheer guesswork.

But, so far, the iPad1 was released in April/May timeframe, as was the iPad2. So, I assume that's about the timeframe for the iPad3 ... April/May of 2012.

Only you can decide if a 4-5 month wait is what you want to do, or if you want to go ahead and get the iPad2 for Christmas. Just one word of [unasked for] advice: If you wait for new technology - you'll always be waiting because the technology is always going to be "new and improved."

So, that's my opinion. I'm sure others will tell ya others. Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

P.S. And, welcome to the forum!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tech press reports the screens are already in production, but the real question is the screen size.
Still lots of rumours of a 7" retina screen.
Then again the rumour mill fared pretty badly with the iPhone4s.

As always with Apple, speculation is futile.........

OP
K

KyleLutnick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone. Marilyn, I think you're right about always waiting for newer technology. I have a similar touch decision to make now - the iPhone4S or the Google Galaxy Nexus that is coming out soon. The Nexus has a bigger screen, the newest android operating system (Ice Cream Sandwich) and most importantly, 4G (I have Verizon). The iPhone4S, on the other hand, is an Apple product and just awesome. 4G might be the kicker for me though...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to influence you, Kyle, but I just got the iPhone 4S and ... it's hella cool and awesome!

Granted, it's my first smart phone - but I am loving it. I do admit the screen is small (especially when compared to the iPad) - but it is so crisp!

My vote would be for you to get both for Christmas: the iPad AND the iPhone. It's a win-win combo, in my book.

Marilyn

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just one word of [unasked for] advice: If you wait for new technology - you'll always be waiting because the technology is always going to be "new and improved."

100% agree. Just get it. Life is too short to NOT have an iPad. Seriously, its always been the bane of the tech shopper - even if you were to wait for an iPad 3, at some point you'llbe thinking maybe I should have just held out for the iPad 4?

Buy it. Now. :)

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KyleLutnick said:
Thanks a lot everyone. Marilyn, I think you're right about always waiting for newer technology. I have a similar touch decision to make now - the iPhone4S or the Google Galaxy Nexus that is coming out soon. The Nexus has a bigger screen, the newest android operating system (Ice Cream Sandwich) and most importantly, 4G (I have Verizon). The iPhone4S, on the other hand, is an Apple product and just awesome. 4G might be the kicker for me though...

I saw someone's phone the other day, the phone with the 4.5 inch screen, most likely, and I definitely think, after seeing that, there is such a thing as a screen (on a cell phone) that is TOO big. But that's just me.

If I were you, I would get the iPad 2 now. We really have no idea when they will come out with the 3, and the 2 is awesome.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
100% agree. Just get it. Life is too short to NOT have an iPad. Seriously, its always been the bane of the tech shopper - even if you were to wait for an iPad 3, at some point you'llbe thinking maybe I should have just held out for the iPad 4?

Buy it. Now. :)

I'm sure that's the exact thought process of my dearly beloved - when buying SHOES!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go for it, the soonest the iPad 3 will be out is March-April (that's if they stick to previous launch dates). I'm starting to wonder with the iPhone 4S having been released in October if Apple is trying to change their release dates for their products to fall right before the holiday seasons. Will have to wait and see.

OP
K

KyleLutnick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha thanks for the advice everyone, I'm pretty sure I'll get an iPad2 after consulting with you all!

OP
K

KyleLutnick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys probably won't be happy with this update, but I've decided to go for the Kindle Fire instead. It's only $200 and does everything I need, plus will work great with my Amazon Prime subscription. And it lets me hold out longer until I really feel like I need an iPad 3 or 4!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You guys probably won't be happy with this update, but I've decided to go for the Kindle Fire instead. It's only $200 and does everything I need, plus will work great with my Amazon Prime subscription. And it lets me hold out longer until I really feel like I need an iPad 3 or 4!

Congrats - the Kindle Fire is a great product and Im a HUGE Amazon fan/customer so Im happy for you! Dont worry - Apple and the iPad arent going anywhere. We'll be around when you are ready for the best full-featured tablet out there. Enjoy the Kindle Fire!

Most reactions

Latest posts