What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shared folders on my network

iPadme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way I can acess files on shared drives on my windows home network... would be awesome if I could?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean access your PC from the iPad? There's a whole bunch of remote apps (from the App Store) that'll do that...

If you mean the reverse - access the iPad from the PC - you can try Veency, PC Networking, OpenSSH (on Cydia).

Do you mean access to something like Dropbox, that's in the "cloud" and is accessible from both a PC and the iPad?

If none of those are what you mean ... what do you mean? :D

Marilyn

Autobot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the same question. I would like to set up a shared network at home that my ipad can access movie (avi, mpeg, mkv) without converting, along with photos and my music collection that is all stored on my pc desktop harddrive. Also will this setup allow my laptop to access the movies on my desktop. Thanks

papp_e

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Theres plenty of remote desktop apps that work with windows and mac to let you access your pc or mac harddrive, and yes, the shared folders as well. As far as peeking into the shared folders over the network without using remote desktop, I dont know, but a good alternative (which only requires a bit more work on the computer side) is to use dropbox. Pull the files you want to be shared into dropbox and install the app on your iOS devices...or if youre on the Lion betas and iOS5 betas, use icloud.

Come to think of it, if youre jailbroken, you can SSH into your home/network'd computer and access the shared folders that way. I would try it and get back to you but my ipad is on iOS5 unfortunately.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also have the same question. I would like to set up a shared network at home that my ipad can access movie (avi, mpeg, mkv) without converting, along with photos and my music collection that is all stored on my pc desktop harddrive. Also will this setup allow my laptop to access the movies on my desktop. Thanks

xbmc

CHI3f

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of you guys are understanding what he is asking...Look for ezShare on the App Store. It'll let you access your windows share as well as a number of other network filesystems. Its a bit expensive and the support is pretty bad but the app certainly does what it's supposed to. Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts