What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up new ipads for family members.

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 members of my family have bought there daughters iPads for Christmas.
They have asked me to set them up and get them ready for Christmas day.
I presume I will have to set up iTunes and icloud accounts for them to get them up and running.
They both have windows laptops but will I need these for me to set the accounts up.
Many thanks
Ash

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe you can set them up on your computer. When the daughters recieve them, they would re-sync them to their own computers, using the login credentials you created.

If you set them up with iOS5+ (I assume they come loaded with this), you could, alternatively, sync them to the cloud, at which point no further relationship with any computer is required. Again, you would pass on the credentials (username, password) you created, at which point I assume they could modify as necessary.

OP
ashley69

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oberkc said:
I believe you can set them up on your computer. When the daughters recieve them, they would re-sync them to their own computers, using the login credentials you created.

If you set them up with iOS5+ (I assume they come loaded with this), you could, alternatively, sync them to the cloud, at which point no further relationship with any computer is required. Again, you would pass on the credentials (username, password) you created, at which point I assume they could modify as necessary.

Many thanks for your help oberkc.
I may be back if I encounter any problems.
Cheers
Ash

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Additional considerations: Is it possible that they (daughters) already have an iTunes account? If so, how easy would it be to "borrow" their existing login credentials?

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you set them up to your account, won't they be linked to your credit card for ebook purchases?

OP
ashley69

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PatS said:
If you set them up to your account, won't they be linked to your credit card for ebook purchases?

Yes you are correct.
I need to make sure I create a different account for each one.
Thanks
Ash

OP
ashley69

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oberkc said:
Additional considerations: Is it possible that they (daughters) already have an iTunes account? If so, how easy would it be to "borrow" their existing login credentials?

Great minds think alike.
Just contacted both their parents and it turns out one on the daughters has an iTunes account. They are going to get her details to give to me.
Cheers
Ash

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Further thoughts: I did not find it overly difficult or time-consuming to set up the iPad. Perhaps it is overall best to simply wait and set it up after giving them away. Long term, I think the daughters would even benefit from seeing the process.

OP
ashley69

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oberkc said:
Further thoughts: I did not find it overly difficult or time-consuming to set up the iPad. Perhaps it is overall best to simply wait and set it up after giving them away. Long term, I think the daughters would even benefit from seeing the process.

I agree. Just trying to make my life a bit easier on Christmas day. I've got to cook the dinner this year. !!

mountainquilter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also did this and made a recipe excel file that that they can all open in my drop box. It's all my recipes and I want them to add theirs also. My sons will like this the most,especially at the grocery store.

Most reactions

Latest posts