What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up Find My iPhone for free!!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So apparently with this update Find My iPhone is now a free service!! Super cool! And setting it up is insanely easy!!

Go to Settings
Click Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Add Account...
MobileMe
Type in your iTunes account info
Agree to new terms of service
Switch on Find My iPhone!

Your done!!!

Now you can go into the App Store and download the free Find My iPhone app and use it to track the location of all your iDevices!! How cool is that!?!?

The best thing is you can now log in to MobileMe (even if you don't pay for an account at www.me.com and it will pop up a map with the location of all your iOS devices!!

fergy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brilliant works like a charm thanks for the tip.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran into a strange issue with this, I never got the confirmation email. I logged into me.com from my computer browser and found that there was no email address associated with my account. I added my email address and redid the verification process. Now the Find my iPhone feature works perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone who had the same problem. I suspect this was because I had an old Apple ID and never used mobile.me, so I never had an email address assigned.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am able to log into my IMac and me.com and locate my both iPad and iPhone however I am not able to use my iPad. To locate my iPhone. Any thoughts?

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This app has enabled us to view my teen where a bout . She uses her iPhone and knows that I can log into the account and locate her. It has giving us the sense of security and comfort.

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I try to set up MobileMe on my iphone4 it doesn't accept my id. It works perfectly on my iPad however. I can even see my iPad on my iPhone.

Rvh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The above doesn't work for me. I have an account with email address at me.com and have downloaded the app. When I try to set up the new email account mobileme in Mail/Contacts/Calendars it wants to send a verification email (which the above does not reference). It says it has send an email to and the field is blank. I can't find that verification email in any of the email accounts I've set up.

I know my email address works fine in the Apple account because I get the verification emails when I purchase an app.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

bogiesmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran into a strange issue with this, I never got the confirmation email. I logged into me.com from my computer browser and found that there was no email address associated with my account. I added my email address and redid the verification process. Now the Find my iPhone feature works perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone who had the same problem. I suspect this was because I had an old Apple ID and never used mobile.me, so I never had an email address assigned.

I am having the same problem but how do you associate an e-mail address with your account?? I went to me.com and all I saw were the options to download the app or to do the actual setup. I'm sure that I'm looking right past the easy solution but I don't see it. All help is appreciated. Thanks

ETA - I figured it out. I went into ITunes, looked up my account. Click on my account ID and there was no e- mail address associated with my account. I added it there and voila - it worked.

Last edited:
OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can make purchases on your iPad you can sign up. Just make sure you are using your iTunes login. No need to go to me.com to register. No need to do anything special. If you have an iTunes account (if you don't, I don't see how you even use your iPad) just follow the instructions word for word and it will work.

And it works fine on all of your iOS devices. I have quite a few and I can see all of them.

Rvh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Word for word

So, I have deleted the account to start from scratch yet again. Remember that I do have a valid iTunes account with an email address. Heck, the username on the account is the email address, isn't that the same for everyone?

After I enter the iTunes account name and the password it does NOT ask me to accept the new terms of service, rather it tells me that it needs to verify the email address and to look for a verification email to that address. But, the field where it says it is sending the email to is blank.

Others have said that they log onto their iTunes account and associate an email address with the account. In my case the account username IS the email address and there is no other field in which to enter an email address.

For those who have done it this way please tell me where the field is to enter another email address.

Thanks

Bob

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We're having the same problem...set up fine with my iTunes but my b/f's account for his iPad won't verify.

bogiesmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Others have said that they log onto their iTunes account and associate an email address with the account. In my case the account username IS the email address and there is no other field in which to enter an email address.

For those who have done it this way please tell me where the field is to enter another email address.

Thanks

Bob

Bob - my account name and email are the same as well. What you need to do is when you are in iTunes, click on your account name or the words 'account name' and it will bring you to a second screen where you can enter your email address. Once I did that, I asked that the confirmation email be sent again and everything worked perfectly. I hope this makes sense.

Rvh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, thanks. What I was doing wrong was that I was trying to do this from the iTunes store website, not from within iTunes itself.

Note to others, do this from within iTunes!

So, I got it working and it misses the actual location by almost a thousand feet. How accurate is it for you?

Bob

Last edited:
OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I got it working and it misses the actual location by almost a thousand feet. How accurate is it for you?

Bob

Do you have the 3G version? If not, do not expect it to be very accurate. There is no GPS built into the Wifi version, so 1000 feet is not too bad, considering.

It's actually quite accurate with Wifi....the only problem is...it has to be on a network to identify!

So if its lost chances are its not going to be on a network....good if you forget it at work....or if its stolen and someone decides to use it (if you have a screen lock code, more than likely they won't be able to)...but if noone ever puts it on a network it is not findable.

Would be nice if it would always automatically log in to unsecure networks.

Most reactions

Latest posts