What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set E-Mail Password

tpham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know how I can set a password to my email so that hubby cannot read my mail when he picks up my iPad?

Thanks

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all you'd be better starting a new thread for a question if you weren't the OP or the question has nothing to do with the title, that way you're more likely to get an answer. But on topic: other than setting a universal password (that is entered whenever the IPad is unlocked) you can't prevent people form viewing your mail or anything else.
PS there is one method but it's quite tiresome. You could go into settings every time you finish with your iPad and remove the password from your mail account, the only problem is that it would only stop downloading of messages. Any already there could be viewed.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tpham:

Welcome to the forum!

MrLuke has given you excellent help; the only answer, actually. Essentially, the iPad is designed as a "one user" device. So, there's truly no way to get a password put on the Mail app for your account(s).

Note that I have made your post a new thread within the Help section of this forum. You had posted your question (completely unrelated) in another person's conversation, which is poor forum etiquette and against the rules. Thus, this move to your own thread. Please, for the next time, start a separate thread for your question/concern, don't interrupt others. Thanks.

Sorry we can't give you the answer you were seeking on the password question.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The other possibility is to use Safari to get your mail through the website (after deleting the account from Settings). As long as you remember not to tell the site to remember you, or sign off each time, that would work.

This is adequate for reading and replying to your mail; however it will making getting attachments more difficult, and the many apps that have email options will not be able to send emails.

Or just get you hubby his own iPad so he doesn't borrow yours. :)

I'm afraid they aren't well designed to be multi-user devices, at least not if privacy is a concern.

Most reactions