What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separate iPads

Tom W.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ... pretty new with iPads and I'd appreciate some guidance & help to resolve a situation.

Until recently my wife and I shared an iPad .... I had bought it and registered it but seldom used it. Having registered it I had the Apple ID.

Having realised that we could use it for many more functions than I thought at first, we decided that we should both have an iPad. So on Saturday we went to the Aple store in Exeter and bought a new iPad4 with WiFi and Cellular (I wanted this version as I travel quite a bit). To cut a long story short the new device was registered under my Apple ID. Now both are associated with the same Apple ID and I receive my wife's e-mails and she receives mine. When I add a new app, it appears on her iPad too. We're scared to add or remove anything as we fear it will affect both devices.

Can we change the Apple ID and password on one of the devices without is affecting the other? If so ... how do we go about this process?

Any help very welcome ... to preserve a happy household!

TIA,

Tom W.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ... pretty new with iPads and I'd appreciate some guidance & help to resolve a situation.

Until recently my wife and I shared an iPad .... I had bought it and registered it but seldom used it. Having registered it I had the Apple ID.

Having realised that we could use it for many more functions than I thought at first, we decided that we should both have an iPad. So on Saturday we went to the Aple store in Exeter and bought a new iPad4 with WiFi and Cellular (I wanted this version as I travel quite a bit). To cut a long story short the new device was registered under my Apple ID. Now both are associated with the same Apple ID and I receive my wife's e-mails and she receives mine. When I add a new app, it appears on her iPad too. We're scared to add or remove anything as we fear it will affect both devices.

Can we change the Apple ID and password on one of the devices without is affecting the other? If so ... how do we go about this process?

Any help very welcome ... to preserve a happy household!

TIA,

Tom W.

You've got two different scenarios happening here (e-mail and Apple ID), but fortunately, both can be fixed.

For e-mail, one of you will have to set up and use a different e-mail account than the one associated with the Apple ID. Whay I did, when I got my iPad, was get a [free] Gmail account. Then, in the Settings app, you can set up your Mail under the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" tab. It doesn't matter which of you gets the new e-mail address, but until you do, you will continue to receive mail under the Apple ID address.

Then, use that new e-mail to create an Apple ID for that person (so you can have a separate account for iMessages, iCloud, etc.).

The main goal you are striving for is to have it so that original Apple ID is only used on the NEW iPad for AppStore/iTunes purchases (so you only have to buy one app/song/movie/etc. - but share it with the other one).

Oh, and if you don't want apps and music (etc.) automatically downloaded to the other iPad when you use that Apple ID, navigate to the "iTunes & App Stores" tab in your Settings app and make sure all the lines under "Automatic Downloads" are turned OFF. Then, eqch iPad owner can decide on their own as to what "stuff" they want on their iPad.

Hope some of this helps. Holler back if you need more. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
T

Tom W.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much Marilyn. Much appreciated. I don't suppose the fact my (the) Apple iPad for both devices is actually my e-mail address would make any difference in this case? Why should it?

Tom W.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the same e-mail address(es) loaded for the Mail app on both iPads - you will get the same e-mails. So, if you want to have only one iPad get Apple ID emails, only one can have that e-mail address loaded (for the Mail app under "Mail Contacts Calendars."

Apple, as a minimum, will send emails to the e-mail address linked to the Apple ID. But, both of you don't have to have that e-mail loaded on your iPad.

That help?

Marilyn

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
I'd get your wife to setup the iPad with her own Apple ID (for iCloud) and go through all the motions as if she's setting it up from scratch.

Once it's complete and all is setup, go into Settings and change the iTunes store account ID to yours. Share apps and have two stand alone iPads with unique data.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions