What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending emails

chrissey202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please can someone help me, I am abroad at the moment and can receive emails no problem, but I can't send any, I have tried and tried.
I have searched the forum's for answers, but no luck.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - it's because you're using SMTP for the outgoing email (no password or account name needed), rather than SMTP with SSL (secure login). Most service providers won't accept basic SMTP from an unknown location (not at your house) because, with no login or password, you could 'pretend' to be anyone you wanted to. In my Department, a couple of years ago, a student - pretending to be the Head of Department - circulated an email, purporting to come from him, saying he was resigning!! Easy to do if you don't need an account name or password. That's why most service providers ban it from an unknown location (geek mode on - it's called the 'Port 25 relay problem' - geek mode off).

So you need to check if your service provider supports SSL (the iPad does) and then edit your account to use SSL and use your account name (email address) and password (email password) and you're good to go - the SSL settings will work at home too!

Tim

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never knew the difference between SMTP vs.SMTP with SSL. Thanks for the education, Tim! Something new I learned today...as usual from this forum!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - the 'old' SMTP really is a legacy protocol that goes back to the early days of the Internet. The 'founding fathers' saw, of course, a need to have a secure email retrieval system, POP, that needed an account name and password. They based email on regular mail and for that your mail is either delivered securely to your door or, in the US at least, you might have a mailbox in the local postoffice and a key that enables you to open it to retrieve your mail.

But anyone can simply drop a letter into a postbox, no security is required. How often do you receive a letter from an imposter? Virtually never, so the 'founding fathers' saw no need to have such security for SMTP. But they lived in an innocent world where there were no spammers or 'con men and women' ... now we are older and wiser and we see how easy it is for people to become 'email imposters'.

Oh - for those old and innocent days of my youth!!

Tim

OP
C

chrissey202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim, I changed my settings on my ipad, but god knows what I have done.......because I now can't send or receive!!!!! Please can you tell me how to set it all up in an idiot prooff ;)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I should have said that it's best to setup a new account that's a 'duplicate' of the first for receiving but has the SMTP/SSL for the outbound mail.

How have you got your settings now?

(Obviously don't tell me your account name or password, but the rest of the 'stuff', like the POP or IMAP address, the port numbers, the SMTP address, the SSL port number - basically all the info that's on the screen in the 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Account' area.....again, don't send your email address or password.....

Tim

OP
C

chrissey202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim, I,m sorry to say I now have nothing!!! Please can you help me. I have tried to set up anew account after deleting the old one but now nothing.
Look forward to hearing from you
Christina

Cuberoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this problem as well. I use ntlworld but have set up SSL on the iPad but still cannot send. Do I need to adjust my settings at ntlworld as well?

Most reactions