What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking Feedback: Incase Convertible Book Jacket

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
First of all, I want to apologize if this case has been covered, but I have searched extensively and found no mention of it. The case that I am currently looking to buy is the Convertible Book Jacket from Incase.

DDG0D.jpg

What I'm looking for in a case:
  • Portfolio style
  • Sturdy
  • Thick and protective material (I carry in messenger bag)
  • Multiple viewing angles
  • Snug fit
  • Ability to keep closed (latch, button, band, velcro, etc)
  • Easily kept clean.

I've watched quite a few YouTube reviews of the case... and it looks like it is good quality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Tuc6pkSpw"]1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2xlseXqCw"]2[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDU1c-x8RJo"]3[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-thhixaJ8"]4[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqlmydbTPY"]5[/ame]

I've tried finding it in my local Apple stores so I can see it in person, but have been unsuccessful. So, any and all feedback on this case or any other cases similar that maybe I haven't seen yet would be great.

Thanks!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That looks pretty awesome and better than junky Apple case.

I'm not so sure it looks very stable in this :)ipad-keyboard:) position tho.

Marie68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to see the cases at fortte.....they have lots of different ones available and in different colors.

OP
Brad Groux

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
You might want to see the cases at fortte.....they have lots of different ones available and in different colors.

q8FGu.jpg

Hey, thanks for the head's up. Their PDA Case Keeper looks promising, maybe a cheaper, more elegant alternative to the Convertible Book Jacket. I'm going to scour the web for some better photos and hopefully a review or two, as the tiny pictures on the site really don't let you see much detail.

EDIT. I found a video of the iPad Keeper from their official YouTube channel. So far it looks great but even in their HD video you can't see much detail... so still digging.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBkww2WMl8&hd=1[/ame]

Hmm, it looks like they were just released four days ago, so we'll have to wait and see until some reviews hit the web. From their video it looks great, but I'm not sure I like how easily it slides in and out of the case, as well as it having minimal protection along the edges of the device.

Last edited:

Dunatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the incase convertible for my iPad, great case! It is really sturdy, it has a band on the back of it that you can flip over the front of it to keep it closed, the only problem I had with it was that the iPad is kinda loose in it, it likes to slide back out the opening, however, I installed the invisible shield full body wrap on my iPad, now it is a lot better, it doesn't slide out now.

I ordered mine from the apple store, it said 2 weeks before shipping, but I had it 5 days after I ordered it.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the incase convertible for my iPad, great case! It is really sturdy, it has a band on the back of it that you can flip over the front of it to keep it closed, the only problem I had with it was that the iPad is kinda loose in it, it likes to slide back out the opening, however, I installed the invisible shield full body wrap on my iPad, now it is a lot better, it doesn't slide out now.

This does look nice but I had heard the same "loose" problem. I hope Incase reads this and corrects the issue on their next shipment.

OP
Brad Groux

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Looks looks it adds a lot of thickness to the iPad. I like my slim designed gadgets to stay slim.

I like my thin gadgets that I pay $700 for to stay functional. Portfolio style cases in general are for people who put their iPads in bags and backpacks. They just offer tons more protection overall. When I'm around the house I'll take it out of the case but when on the road I'd much rather have the protection.

OP
Brad Groux

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Okay, I think I've ruled out the Fortte iPad Keeper. While I really like the professional look and design it is lacking some major protection for the iPad itself. First off, after re-watching the video and looking at the additional photos below, you can see that you slide the iPad into the case via the outside edge rather than the inside edge, so if the buckle comes undone your iPad could slide out. Secondly, the edges of the iPad are heavily exposed on three of the four edges, with very little leather actually holding it into place... so more area for scratching and scuffing. Lastly, with so few contact points on the edges I just don't see how the iPad can stay firm in the case during usage, especially when you flip to open and prop up the case in the three viewing "grooves."

ytyoF.png

OP
Brad Groux

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Convertible Book Jacket from Apple.com yesterday. The site said 1-2 week delivery, but I placed my order yesterday during the late afternoon and I received the notice this afternoon that it had been shipped via FedEx Ground... so I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be putting up a full review with high-resolution images and an HD video once I get it. Well, I should say once I get the case AND my iPad, as I'm on day 11 of waiting for the iPad 3G... GRR!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really like the look of the iPad keeper by fortte too. I ordered the Dodo case from DODOcase - Welcome already though. I should get it in a couple of weeks. If that doesn't do it then this is the one I will try next. Thanks!

Post back when you get the Dodo - that looks like the sturdiest, slimmest case so far.

Lisa@fortte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our technical staff has reviewed the posting in the forum and has taken the advise suggested by some members to improve the security of the iPad once inside the case.
We have made several improvements to the iPad Keeper design including the insertion and a hidden snap that has no effect on the thickness of the case as it is indented but it does the work to protect the iPad from falling.
Thank you for the feedback, we hear and we care about your investment.

03.jpg
http://www.fortte.com/images/pda-cases/ipod/ipad/ipadkeeper/zoom/03.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Brad Groux

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Our technical staff has reviewed the posting in the forum and has taken the advise suggested by some members to improve the security of the iPad once inside the case.
We have made several improvements to the iPad Keeper design including the insertion and a hidden snap that has no effect on the thickness of the case as it is indented but it does the work to protect the iPad from falling.
Thank you for the feedback, we hear and we care about your investment.

fortte.com

Hey Lisa, thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to the improvements you guys are making, please let us know when the improved design is available.

Most reactions

Latest posts