What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security problems with Skype for Ipad

akammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am originally from SA. Lived for a while in Aust
Hi there,

I would like to know if any one else has encountered the same problem.

I have been using skype on my regular pc for many years now and I have the strongest possible security settings on my account, i.e. only people on my contact list can message me or call me. I only have a few family members and friends as contacts with whom I converse regularly. I NEVER give out my skype name and I DON'T add strangers.

With the new skype it is of course happening that many strangers from all over the world ask to be added as your friend. I just always blocked these people immediately from my skype account on the pc so that they cannot try and add me again.

BUT, my real problem is with Skype for Ipad which I have been using for about a year now. It happens regularly (about once a week) that I receive a pop up message on my Ipad that some one is calling me on skype, or I later see that I have missed calls from people NOT on my contact list! How is this possible?

I even went back to the Skype account settings on my PC a few times just to make sure that nothing has been changed to my security settings!

I find it kind of creepy and invasive.

Anybody with any thoughts on this?

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen on my Ipad Skype app. I few weeks ago I had a call from some stranger, never happened on my PC. Hope this doesn't happen a lot. I haven't really used my skype app on my Ipad since that time, so don't know if it's still happening or not. I agree, it's not something I would want to happen a lot.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is definitely a Skype issue, as they are the ones connecting the chats and calls. I generally do not have my Skype app open (in the background) on my iPad, so I have not experienced that issue. I have had people try to join my contacts on my PC Skype in the past, but I simply block them.

You would think that the Skype is set up that everything is common at the account level, so it should not matter the device being used.

Most reactions