What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Seperation on iPad 3

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
My iPad 3 had this same problem. as stated here. I mailed it to Apple and now are shipping it back without repairing it claiming they "couldn't duplicate the issue" when I told them exactly what was wrong with it. I'm really livid... now I have to drive 2 hours to the store in Greenboro NC. Anyone else have the same defect?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I say get to driving and get a new one. Just take it back. Tomorrow is two-weeks, so you want to get over there today, Zeke. Remember, with Apple you get a 14-day no questions asked return. Return it and get another one.

OP
Zeke1

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Thanks for the reply mate. My only problem is that Apple shipped my iPad back via Fedex and it will take forever to get here. I knew about that replacement period, but I decided to go ahead and mail it to Apple to see if they would just mail me a new one since it is a rather difficult repair; so I've heard. What I really wanna know is why the numnuts in Sacramento CA couldn't find my problem, and didn't even contact me about anything. I even bought AppleCare! Disappointing.

Edit: Scratch the time on my return, it's in the same city my classes are in at the moment according to the tracker. I though it said 2 business days! I will go asap!

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate. My only problem is that Apple shipped my iPad back via Fedex and it will take forever to get here. I knew about that replacement period, but I decided to go ahead and mail it to Apple to see if they would just mail me a new one since it is a rather difficult repair; so I've heard. What I really wanna know is why the numnuts in Sacramento CA couldn't find my problem, and didn't even contact me about anything. I even bought AppleCare! Disappointing.

It's a very good question. Still, don't worry. Take it in to the Apple store once it comes back. It is much better to work in person sometimes. The person who looked at is probably just didn't understand.

OP
Zeke1

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
It's a very good question. Still, don't worry. Take it in to the Apple store once it comes back. It is much better to work in person sometimes. The person who looked at is probably just didn't understand.

Yeah I figured it was a misunderstanding. I have apple care plus (or whatever that $100 warranty is called) so do you really think they would give me a refurbished device for this one? I can't go today. If I called apple do you think they would send me a replacement if I described the problem? This is my first iPad and I have been EXTREMELY disappointed as far as the workmanship. Whoever quality checked my iPad deserves a slap across the face!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I figured it was a misunderstanding. I have apple care plus (or whatever that $100 warranty is called) so do you really think they would give me a refurbished device for this one? I can't go today. If I called apple do you think they would send me a replacement if I described the problem? This is my first iPad and I have been EXTREMELY disappointed as far as the workmanship. Whoever quality checked my iPad deserves a slap across the face!!

I don't think they give you a refurbished iPad under any conditions. I have never heard of them giving anyone a refurbished machine. I doubt seriously if they will give you a replacement without someone looking at it. I figure the problem must be subtle if they could not see the problem immediately. If fact, did you post a picture of the problem here?

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think they give you a refurbished iPad under any conditions. I have never heard of them giving anyone a refurbished machine.
I don't think Apple will replace it with a refurbished unit in this case. However, when I replace my original iPad since its battery went out, I paid $99 and got a refurbished unit. I couldn't tell by its cosmetics, however. if I didn't ask, I wouldn't have guessed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think Apple will replace it with a refurbished unit in this case. However, when I replace my original iPad since its battery went out, I paid $99 and got a refurbished unit. I couldn't tell by its cosmetics, however. if I didn't ask, I wouldn't have guessed.

interesting....In November 2011, I had a problem with my iPad 2 that I bought on March 11, 2011. They checked it over at the genius bar, found it to be defective, then went in the back room and got me a brand new one. Free, as it was still under warranty. That took all of 20 minutes. I didn't even have Apple Care +, though for this, I didn't need it. A defective product will be fixed under warranty within the first year, not under Apple Care. Now if you break it....then that's when the Apple Care kicks in within the first year.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
interesting....In November 2011, I had a problem with my iPad 2 that I bought on March 11, 2011. They checked it over at the genius bar, found it to be defective, then went in the back room and got me a brand new one. Free, as it was still under warranty. That took all of 20 minutes. I didn't even have Apple Care +, though for this, I didn't need it. A defective product will be fixed under warranty within the first year, not under Apple Care. Now if you break it....then that's when the Apple Care kicks in within the first year.

Mind you my case was different. It was out of warranty by the time I replace it and it certainly wasn't a defect.

To be perfectly honest, my unit was pretty banged up and suffered a water damage (with portion of the screen mildly discolored) so the battery was just to nudge the service person to get me a replacement.

Now I feel a lot better with that confession.

OP
Zeke1

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
An update on this, I called AppleCare and talked to the supervisor. He was concerned when he looked at the old repair and noted that it was "very strange" that the techs did not write down any notes after they looked at my iPad. Further, he was flabbergasted when I told him they sent it back via Fedex. "They don't know the difference between Fedex and UPS?" Eventually he said his software asked for a picture of the device (first time he's seen that), which after I emailed him it, he said he saw the problem then. He did some extra paperwork for a new repair and said he'd make them send me a new one. My old iPad is almost to the repair center and I will get a new one back.

I also asked about "refurbished" replacements. He said that it was generally at least 5 months before they would send those out due to the fact that they have few parts around, but he said I'd be getting a new one anyway so I wouldn't have to worry.

My experience was great, and both the first rep and the super apologized for the long wait because the repair form takes long to do on their end, consulting with the repair center and such. (The call was an hour and a half long).

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An update on this, I called AppleCare and talked to the supervisor. He was concerned when he looked at the old repair and noted that it was "very strange" that the techs did not write down any notes after they looked at my iPad. Further, he was flabbergasted when I told him they sent it back via Fedex. "They don't know the difference between Fedex and UPS?" Eventually he said his software asked for a picture of the device (first time he's seen that), which after I emailed him it, he said he saw the problem then. He did some extra paperwork for a new repair and said he'd make them send me a new one. My old iPad is almost to the repair center and I will get a new one back.

I also asked about "refurbished" replacements. He said that it was generally at least 5 months before they would send those out due to the fact that they have few parts around, but he said I'd be getting a new one anyway so I wouldn't have to worry.

My experience was great, and both the first rep and the super apologized for the long wait because the repair form takes long to do on their end, consulting with the repair center and such. (The call was an hour and a half long).

When you have a product that sell like hot cakes and with nearly 40% net profit margin, you can afford to be very accommodating...

OP
Zeke1

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I'm currently at "product replacement pending" on the repair status. Guess they are waiting to snatch one off a retail truck and mail it to me.

I'm not a complete Apple convert, but with mobiles I am. Not a single mobile device I own is not Apple; they are just so amazing :p

Most reactions

Latest posts